Sign in to follow this  
Kuroneko

Mystic Portal 44133

This is awesome!

Since I have one waiting for paint I'm totally following this for inspiration.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!  Any encouragement and 'likes' are very welcome, especially since my painting motivation has been rock bottom lately.

Also, thank you for checking this out @TaleSpinner! It's not terrifying having the minis sculptor following the thread at all! :lol:

So, my original plan for the Foo Dogs was to make them jet black with pale blue electrical energy seeping from it.

DSCN0362.thumb.JPG.bf0e01ae97ab19a83c070ab8c94e48dd.JPG

...but overnight I decided to switch it to Malachite carved dogs. Malachite is referred as a guardian stone, so it fits the theme of the mini. A quick google found this carving. Doesn't it look cool?

image.png.7113584b9b12b8a48e7e060ac3da3055.png

I put on a base of Dragon Green.

DSCN0374.thumb.JPG.c7e673832a9073dfbf4d601ecc452758.JPG

Someone decided that he was being ignored for far too long. This is why most of my minis have fur on them :rolleyes:

DSCN0407.thumb.JPG.7e91f71cbed9d62d30a38c2a55cf508f.JPG

DSCN0410.thumb.JPG.d9bf27c4af8a9f41ac2eeee60df14796.JPG

After Loki got his rightful attention., I did some highlighting on the dogs.

DSCN0412.thumb.JPG.7e952c912defb7571509f033d83ec963.JPG

DSCN0414.thumb.JPG.b2c99d93a8802011e6043a6093a4599e.JPG

Mr Green got a little bit of attention(Lini green 89517 and Dungeon Slime 09415), as did Mr Red(Brilliant Red, Sunrise Orange 09406 and Lantern Yellow 09407)

DSCN0418.thumb.JPG.404ecd375e46b1eae9fbb6d87dfefc55.JPG

Some detail shots. In retrospect, I shouldn't have put the green dragon next to the foo dog, but I'm too invested now.

DSCN0422.thumb.JPG.c9b576ade8e9286b783da541ebe681fe.JPGDSCN0420.thumb.JPG.cce4524714b6705d35463c67c6da60ae.JPG

I'm stopping for the day now, mostly because I'm starting to over think the colours. Mr Red probably needs a bit more highlighting, but I think I'll sleep on it.

Anyway, thanks for looking everyone! See you next time!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

It looks great!

If you keep the green dragon a different green it won't matter much.

I love the green foo dogs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

You realize he's saying "why are there dogs and not cats on this model?

I've just realized that he's actually lying on top of a bunch of paints there. I was too busy painting and watching Hot Fuzz to notice him creeping closer to me ::o:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Haha 8

28 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

You realize he's saying "why are there dogs and not cats on this model?"

Technically they are Komainu, aka Foo Lions, so....cats.  :poke:  I based them off of this one:

Komainu Lion Dogs | JapanVisitor Japan Travel Guide

(They were originally a bit closer to this one before the Chinese resculpt happened...long story.)

Oh, and Malachite is one of my favorite stones (along with lapis).  I love it. 

That red dragon is stunning!

No need to be nervous; I'm just super excited to watch a great painter paint one of my sculpts!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Technically they are Komainu, aka Foo Lions, so....cats.  :poke: 

You get to explain that one to Loki then. Based on his expression, I don't think he's buying it...

59 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I was too busy painting and watching Hot Fuzz to notice him creeping closer to me 

First, nice choice in movie. Second, how appropriate of a title as a literal ball of warm fuzziness is sliding over your paints.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/11/2020 at 8:10 PM, ManvsMini said:

First, nice choice in movie. Second, how appropriate of a title as a literal ball of warm fuzziness is sliding over your paints.

You may be interested to know that todays update was brought to you by the films Aliens, The Cabin in the Woods and Shaun of the Dead. There may be a cat photo at the end too :rolleyes:

So, it's been a week and I managed about 8 hours painting in that time. Some good and one awful miscalculation, but I'll get to that soon enough.

I've been busy working on the 'active' side of the portal, including the blue, black and white heads

DSCN0690.thumb.JPG.2a94ec053c320c58e4ef051dce96098a.JPG

Here's the colours that I used. I tend to take photos of the paint pots with the minis, otherwise I just end up with lots of paint recipies with absolutely no idea where I used them.

DSCN0697.thumb.JPG.8ac5be0d0ff68e3042bf23e721ba8009.JPGDSCN0702.thumb.JPG.f524766e7b93477121615ed3af04cd28.JPG

DSCN0692.thumb.JPG.b860941bde9de51a2515320c64725dbd.JPG

The black really wasn't working at this point, even though it looks much better in person. I usually try and highlight Black Dragons with a mix of purple and turquoise, mostly influenced by an awesome melanistic boa that i saw at a reptile rescue organisation a few years ago.

I realised that I needed to make a start on the base and I used some Sculpey and a Green Stuff World Roller to make this base. It wasn't that thick, so I needed to attach it to some cork sheet to give it a bit more heft. I even had an assistant, the studious Kurogane!

DSCN0712.thumb.JPG.0710d5e4d753bd0c0a3d253b5da3d95d.JPG

DSCN0715.thumb.JPG.e57ac5f35d029722b4e5e6c1c3264114.JPG

DSCN0716.thumb.JPG.5bf5aa8334802caafc30fd02112f4a35.JPG

Yeah, I know it's a bit uneven looking but I forgot to take an after shot, ok? ::P:

Paint, wash and a hearty drybrushing was applied....

DSCN0815.thumb.JPG.5e9784960c14df48e7923cca1fec0f1c.JPG

And I started work on the portal, trying to tie the colours into the heads. I'm really not sure whether to leave it as it is or to bring more colour into it.

DSCN0797.thumb.JPG.26558f55bc81127d8ac443e865eaf766.JPG

I also added more highlights to Mr Black

DSCN0802.thumb.JPG.27ea79b35d51a5bb6d63a940b8e8286a.JPG

This is where I got too confident and it all went wrong. I thought that it would be a good idea to try an OSL effect from the portal onto the stones. This did NOT go well and I'm planning on covering it up asap.

DSCN0825.thumb.JPG.4d8d8b2ca77ebefef057944550551957.JPGDSCN0823.thumb.JPG.196d3c266fd44e26a62e1ed4f1e5d395.JPG

Thus ends this weeks (mis)adventures in painting,  next weeks first act will be to redo that stone

Bonus kitteh, an affectionate Loki :)

DSCN0834.thumb.JPG.a09fd70672edc5e25159370294a042b3.JPG

• Like 17

That is looking amazing. I like the effect on the floor. Give kitty some extra scritchies for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That portal is amazing! I love the idea you are doing, with the swirl being the same colors of the dragons nearby. And it's looking good.

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

You may be interested to know that todays update was brought to you by the films Aliens, The Cabin in the Woods and Shaun of the Dead. There may be a cat photo at the end too

Have you been raiding my movie collection???

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This post was brought to you by Back to the Future, Parts 1&2

It's been a bit of a hectic week, but I managed to get some painting time today. I decided to do something, anything with the glowing area of the floor in front of the portal because it was really bothering me. My original idea was to do some sort of OSL effect, but the angle was all wrong and I decided to show the protective runes on the floor 'activating' to show the magical energies flowing through the portal instead.

I started with the green portion, using the same colours as the green dragon head.

DSCN2791.thumb.JPG.7be5808d670f9c97a54709dd20c6d3e5.JPG

Likewise the red portion, to mirror the Red Dragon head. The picture also shows the new(ish) brush that I picked up in lockdown that I was testing out today. I'm pretty happy with it to be honest.

DSCN2849.thumb.JPG.61399dd9351df865a32bf6c82ae51e49.JPG

Todays feline interruption was subcontracted to Diva as Loki was far too busy chattering at our birdfeeders.

DSCN2858.thumb.JPG.8bc73fa1e893e32d43a382e782c39886.JPG

Diva was placated with food and I continued with the blue part.

DSCN2869.thumb.JPG.334043b48d5c48823a16917131f28b0d.JPG

I realised that There was a bit of a gap between the blue and red, so I extended the red a little bit longer.

DSCN2851.thumb.JPG.d515f479fd3dfd6b1f6655a4a2c2aecc.JPG

I checked the colour against a handy inky creature

DSCN2885.thumb.JPG.53c4bd5f20e1b935c830a4a2c9ce89d7.JPG

And a badly lit photo of the portal with the colour spray.

DSCN2875.thumb.JPG.fcf3eed4dee6f9aa75284d8fb9a7a26f.JPG

DSCN2873.thumb.JPG.0d1f4e32e5c3ff0ef1e43ef45b19b91d.JPG

At that point I decided to stop because I'd been painting for almost 5 hours and, unusually, I was pretty happy with what I'd accomplished. I think I need to extend the green to meet the red, but I'll leave it for the next session.

Thanks for looking everybody! As always, any critisisms/comments are greatly appreciated.

• Like 16