Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Steamforged kobolds & dragon sets

While I have no need for kobolds, many years of boneyard shopping & grabbing 5 each every year that I've gone, of Reaper's Dark Heaven lineup will do that for yah, but that dragon looks interesting.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/46319/steamforged-games-unveils-epic-encounters-fantasy-miniatures-sets

dragon:

https://icv2.com/gallery/46319/2

• Like 2

Oh, those are gangs for Godtear. Godtear's quite a lot of fun actually. The Champion in each gang is huge because they've absorbed so much divine energy that they're positively swelling with it and they're each racing to try to attain godhood first. Keera and her Dragons got released today (don't fib - we all know who she is). The Samurai goblin gangs and the dwarven Shieldbreaker gang haven't got release dates listed yet that I'm aware of. Godtear probably deserves its own thread 'though.

Did they discontinue Guildball? Or just change the rules to the point where it's way different or unbalanced from how it originally was?

Sometimes I don't like the look of Steamforged's stuff (I think the Grog figure from the Critical Role set is one of the ugliest, most disproportional minis I have ever seen produced in the age of digital sculpting). But the kobold and dragon set looks nice. Looks like you get them with a variety of weapons (ranged included). Dragon is cool too.

Just now, ManvsMini said:

Did they discontinue Guildball? Or just change the rules to the point where it's way different or unbalanced from how it originally was?

Sometimes I don't like the look of Steamforged's stuff (I think the Grog figure from the Critical Role set is one of the ugliest, most disproportional minis I have ever seen produced in the age of digital sculpting). But the kobold and dragon set looks nice. Looks like you get them with a variety of weapons (ranged included). Dragon is cool too.

Guildball's been discontinued (as of the end of this month). They're now just selling off Guildball stock.

A private investment company bought a load of shares and basically performed  a hostile takeover. They then rebranded their company name to Steamforged Holdings (so that it looks like Steamforged Games is still owned by Steamforged Games). The Private Investment company basically wants to push the CMON model of board games that don't get enough support or reprints and lots of gouging on kickstarter.

Matt & Rich fought tooth and nail to keep Guild Ball but apparently it wasn't bringing in the kind of numbers that the corporate board members wanted. There are a lot of industry veterans on the company board (such as Ian Livingstone) who know how to make good games and make them sell so hopefully they'll put up some resistance to this corporate entity that just wants to gouge the company, gut it, and move on, when they can't get any more out of it leaving a smoking wreckage in their wake.

There's something very wrong with business when doing bad business and running a company into the ground is more profitable than actually running the company well and being successful. Companies need to stop rewarding executives for bad behaviour.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Balgin Stondraeg said:

Guildball's been discontinued (as of the end of this month). They're now just selling off Guildball stock.

Ah, I just found the entry on their blog. A recent discontinuation, announcement dated four days ago. That is sad, it looked like a fun game, never got a chance to get into it. But now it fits my usual method of acquiring minis, as they go on clearance at retailers for cheap prices (acquired many Confrontation and Alkemy minis that way).

The takeover and the "CMoN model" mentality also explains why they have so many board games in that release announcing the Epic Encounters.

• Sad 2

Yeah. Steamforged do good board games 'though. They aren't bad. Guild Ball was  afun game but it suffered from being originally intentionally aimed at the super competitive tournament circuit players. You know. The kind of people who play as if they'll never have to play you ever again (and don't want to) and rapidly run out of opponents until their left playing in their own nasty little group. Let's just hope Godtear stays around for a good long time because it plays really well.

• Like 3

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/46319/steamforged-games-unveils-epic-encounters-fantasy-miniatures-sets

Better pics!

Here it says 49.99 per set.

Way to high for kobolds.....

About right for a dragon that measures 4.5" in height, has an 11" wingspan, and sits on a base featuring a hoard of gold. Thou how much of his height is the gold pile, who knows.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, haldir said:

Actually, I think that's not bad for the kobold set. You get 20 minis, six of which are bigger than normal kobold-size (looks like mounted or monsters). Even if you break it down at $2.50 per mini, that's fairly comparable to the Wizkids unpainted halflings which probably are the same size as a kobold mini. And it comes without running the risk of being globbed in primer (worst thing about the Wizkids unpainted lines).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, haldir said:

Better pics!

About right for a dragon that measures 4.5" in height, has an 11" wingspan, and sits on a base featuring a hoard of gold. Thou how much of his height is the gold pile, who knows.

Well £40 is around $50. They're up on steamforged's website at the moment on preorder. Listed for release in October.

• Like 1