Sign in to follow this  
snitchythedog

Sheild Maidens

I imagine a massed cavalry charge with blubber and tusks smashing into the enemy lines.  TT combat terrains new sheildmaidens riding walruses.  Once I saw them I had to have them.  I was not planning on ever building a fantasy army again but now I am sorely tempted.

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

Edited by snitchythedog
  • Like 13

7 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

Very unique model!

Interesting snow effect.  What product or recipe is that?

They are part of a unit so there are more. 

The snow effect is going to be sand.  It is made using Sand Texturing Gel from Winsor & Newton.  I am using it to try to simulate churned up beach sand in this instance so we shall see if it works.

Edited by snitchythedog
  • Like 1

Amazingly enough I got into painting these and have pretty much finished the first three.  I have never progressed my painting skills past tabletop quality but I am quite happy with these.  The walrus skin was problematic as they not only have huge variations in colour but individual animals colour will change drastically due to changes in temperature.  They literally changes colours when their skin contracts in cold water.  In the end I decided to do a light brown base with dark brown in the skin folds.  Then sponged on grey and flesh.  Once that was done  a sepia wash then multiple washes on the fins to give a transition to darker fins.  After that painted I painted on some lighter scars. 

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

I am really happy with them.  Still have some work to do on the base so I am not done but there you go.

Edited by snitchythedog
  • Like 14

Well, that will be great sand.  I think the walrus skin came out perfect.  You’ve done an excellent job on these.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not familiar with those models but I really like them, and that Walrus skin turned out really, really good!

• Thanks 1

Mostly finished my proof of concept.  I still have to add some gloss effects to the areas that are going to be wet but out of water.  Started off with the finished model by adding some vegetation to the sandy beach base.  I also added some small fish made of Fimo with fishing line supports.

IMG_1724.jpg

All of this was stuffed into a Green Stuff World Containment mould.  I mixed my resin with a slight green tint using inks and poured so the edges of the meniscus touched the top of the mould (almost to the top).  After this was set I used UV setting resin agitated with a coffee stirrer to create the surface.

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

As I am happy with this one I will move on to the rest.

Hope you like.

• Like 15

This is a really cool group of models! And I especially like the water base you've done, it turned out rather well!! Since you called it a proof of concept, I'm guessing you plan on doing the same to the other two? That's gonna look super cool :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, AussieAusborn said:

I'm guessing you plan on doing the same to the other two?

Thanks for the comps.  Wife picked up a unit of ten and the general for my birthday so the plan is all of them.  Still tempted to build a whole army of the concept. 

• Like 4

Those are awesome, I really love them! The water effects look great too.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update.  I have poured the fourth base so that is 1/3 of the models poured. 

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1737.jpg

There are some bubbles but they have been floating out while the resin sets.  Pouring one base mould at a time is killing me. 

• Like 8