Sign in to follow this  
marmitejim

What scale are Reaper Minis? They are not 28mm are they?

Hi, first of all I would say that Reaper Minis are gorgeous things and wonderfully crafted. However, I am somewhat confused as to what scale they are supposed to be.

The site says they are 28mm but the ones I have bought appear to be of different scales.

Here is a photo of Ailene next to a 28mm figure of mine. The wizard is 28mm high (ignoring the hat) but Ailene is 34mm high which is quite a difference.

But of course its not so much the height as the scale of the figures that is different. Would you agree?

20200804_032215.jpg

I would say that Ailene is of the 32mm scale not 28mm.

But then I also got Nature Warden who, although over 30mm tall appears to be closer to the 28mm scale and when you compare her to Ailene she looks smaller in scale:-

20200804_032231.jpg

And then if you compare Nature Warden and my wizard with the figure; Nienna then Nienna is really LARGE compared to either of them. (I am not sure how tall she is in mm as she is crouching but she looks like a different scale to me)

20200815_153825.jpg

20200815_154556.jpg

The differences may appear negligible to some people and I know some people don't really mind variations in scale but I have a collection of 200 figures from various manufacturers at 28mm scale and they all look good together

I can just about get away with Ailene being a particularly large lady but Nienna really doesn't match up with the rest of my collection.

But I love the quality of Reaper Minis and would like to buy more so here are my questions:-

Q1. Do Ailene and Nienna just happen to be oversized and are most Reaper Minis closer to 28mm scale?

Q2. Nature Warden is a lot smaller than those two so is there a lot of variation within the Reaper Mini range?

Q3. If there is variation, then is there any way of knowing how tall a figure is before I buy one?

Q4. (the big one) If Ailene and Nienna are typical of the range then why are Reaper advertising their figures at 28mm scale when they blatantly are not? Why not just list them at 32mm scale like they are? Surely there must be other collectors that have been disappointed like I have? (ok - that was 3 questions in one there :)

Again, I have to say they are fantastically well produced minis so no complaint there.

Any comments etc gratefully recieved

Jim

• Like 1

1,2, & 4:  They are advertised as 28mm "heroic scale" and there is a lot of variation among the different sculptors.  Reaper will tell you that just as there are variations among real people, so too there are variations in miniatures.  

If you think these figures are a problem, then avoid stuff from Bones4 and 5, as some of them are absolutely HUGE by comparison. 

3.  In some of the photos on the web store you will see small grey triangles on the right side. These measure 1/2" and 1" height.  That's about the best you can get off the web site.  If you need precise measurements, you can ask here if anyone would be kind enough to measure one from their collection.  We are happy to help with the occasional request. 

• Like 3

Thanks Inara for taking the time to respond. That's really helpful.

Next time I choose some to purchase I'll see if anyone will mind letting me know the exact size.

All the best.

Jim

• Like 2

To add to what Inarah said, scale is not really standard.  While one manufacturer may use "feet to eyes" another may use "feet to top of head." Both are acceptable but results in minis of slightly different heights.  Another general guideline I've heard is that scale can have a 30% variance in a product line and still be acceptable.  For 28mm that would mean minis of 24-32mm are of the same scale. 

Or if you were to convert my paternal grandparents into minis, my grandmother would have been 26mm while my grandfather would have been 30.5mm.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Personally I prefer the use of a ratio to represent scale instead of the 'mm' notation.  1/58 makes a lot more sense to me when comparing different models and doesn't confuse the 'mm' scale notation for an actual measurement.

• Like 1

Thanks people!

Thing is though that 28mm miniatures used to be pretty much the same scale and very standardised. I know this because I have a box with hundreds of them!

There are thousands of old minis out there that are consistent with that scale,  I guess I am talking 1990's onwards, maybe not so much these days? I am looking for a company that's producing new minis at 28mm you see.

Looking at the Reaper Mini range nearly all the figures are around 34mm tall or higher. It's not just the height, its the scale that is bigger (eg; the heads are larger). 

On their FAQ https://www.reapermini.com/faq it says that "The vast majority of our models are 25mm Heroic Scale."

They really, really, really are not 25mm. No way, even if you allow for the somewhat vague 'heroic' attribute . They aren't 28mm they are the 32 mm scale.

Similar to Warhammer stuff I would say.

(wonderfully sculpted mind you)

Edited by marmitejim
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, marmitejim said:

There are thousands of old minis out there that are consistent with that scale,  I guess I am talking 1990's onwards, maybe not so much these days? I am looking for a company that's producing new minis at 28mm you see.

The older models are closer in scale to your old Grenadier and Ral Partha figures. Look at models in the 02xx to 022xx range.  Those are from the mid 90's and might work for you. 

• Like 4

On 8/15/2020 at 11:07 PM, Clearman said:

Personally I prefer the use of a ratio to represent scale instead of the 'mm' notation.  1/58 makes a lot more sense to me when comparing different models and doesn't confuse the 'mm' scale notation for an actual measurement.

Because the ratio is the scale, a height in mm is just a random number really. Then only way to convert the mm to scale would be to have an idea what they are measuring, it's usually feet to eye.

Assuming an average height of 1.75m and a head-height to total height ratio of 1/7.5 (and eyes being halfway up the head) we would have a eye-height of 1.633m (1.75/7.5*7), for a scale of 1/58.33 .

Which if you measure from toes to head would be roughly 30mm.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:34 PM, marmitejim said:

ut Ailene is 34mm high which is quite a difference.

Ailene being 34mm to the top includes hair and a cowl, and she might be taler (we are talking averages here with a body height of 1.75m and h2b of 1/7.5). So that is not totally out of the 28mm 'heroic' scale.

So much for scale. In my experience the recent bones figures have grown a lot. Older, especially the metal figures seem to be more in line of 25mm (feet to eye). The newer releases contain the M and B cubes which are 1/4" in height (which is not superusable but it gives an impression). The older figures for the most part are photographed with Bryangles (the things poking into the picture, usually on the right) with the triangles being at 1/2" and 1" height.

And I seem to recall that @Reaper_Jon mentioned something about properly measuring the figures, ongoing effort and such, not sure what became of that.

In any case, may be useful:

Scale     H2E    H2H    Comment
1/48 34.0mm    36.5mm    O Scale
1/51 32.0mm    34.3mm    32mm
1/58 28.0mm    30.0mm    28mm
1/65 25.0mm    26.8mm    25mm
1/72 22.7mm    24.3mm    Plastic Historicals are often this size
1/81 20.0mm    21.4mm    20mm
1/87 18.8mm    20.1mm    HO Scale
1/90 18.0mm    19.3mm    18mm
1/108 15.0mm    16.1mm    15mm
1/144 11.3mm    12.2mm    Often Aircraft plastic kits
1/160 10.2mm    10.9mm    N Scale
1/163 10.0mm    10.7mm    10mm
1/272 6.0mm    6.4mm    6mm
  H2E      Height from toe to eyes
       H2H

Height from toe to top of head

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 4:07 PM, Clearman said:

A lot of Reaper’s figures are meant to work with contemporary RPGs. These games are played on grids of squares. The squares are 25x25mm (or 1 inch square).

Each square is said to represent 5 feet ( 60 inches ).

There is your scale:     1 : 60 

• Like 2

@MoebiusStrip why assume an average height of 1.75 units?  (It just caused you to blunder off into needlessly complicated maths...)  

With figures what people want to know is how tall is: a 4ft tall Dwarf, a 5ft tall Elf, a 6ft tall Paladin, or a 7ft tall Orc?

Answers:

20mm

25mm

30mm

35mm

Each 5mm is one Foot. 

• Like 3

On 8/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, Inarah said:

Reaper will tell you that just as there are variations among real people, so too there are variations in miniatures.  

And Reaper is correct:

daybreak-tv-programme-london-britain-shu

Four celebrities in poster form to the left; a real woman (the world’s tallest model) on the right. (She is 6ft 8”)

Real people do exhibit a greater variety of height than Reaper’s figures. 

On 8/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, marmitejim said:

It's not just the height, its the scale that is bigger (eg; the heads are larger). 

That is a good guess. It’s wrong. But it’s a good guess. 

Look at photos of people. Count how tall they are in heads (use their head: chin to crown of the head). Should come out to 7, 7.5, or 8.

Now try and find a Figure made by anybody that is seven of its own heads tall. 

The bodies and legs are shorter than they should be. All the figure brands, going all the way back to Grenadier and Partha, are like that. Proportions of limbs/hands/torsos/heads being very different than the human norm.  That is what makes differences in height among figures so noticeable....but among real humans similar height differences are just normal. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TGP said:

And Reaper is correct:

daybreak-tv-programme-london-britain-shu

Four celebrities in poster form to the left; a real woman (the world’s tallest model) on the right. (She is 6ft 8”)

Real people do exhibit a greater variety of height than Reaper’s figures. 

That is a good guess. It’s wrong. But it’s a good guess. 

Look at photos of people. Count how tall they are in heads (use their head: chin to crown of the head). Should come out to 7, 7.5, or 8.

Now try and find a Figure made by anybody that is seven of its own heads tall. 

The bodies and legs are shorter than they should be. All the figure brands, going all the way back to Grenadier and Partha, are like that. Proportions of limbs/hands/torsos/heads being very different than the human norm.  That is what makes differences in height among figures so noticeable....but among real humans similar height differences are just normal. 

in these scales that is generally intentional.  If heads were the size they were supposed to be it would be difficult bordering on impossible to get any detail at all in the face. Especially when traditionally sculpted in putty.  Wrists and ankles are typically much thicker than true to scale would dictate, otherwise they'd be too flimsy to survive the casting processes.

There are some manufacturers who do try to keep a more true scale.  I can't remember names a the moment, but the minis are very spindly looking and have teeny tiny insane faces.  

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

There are some manufacturers who do try to keep a more true scale.  I can't remember names a the moment, but the minis are very spindly looking and have teeny tiny insane faces.  

Thunderbolt Mountain comes to mind.   Darksword and Hasslefree have some models that are close to true proportions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

Thunderbolt Mountain comes to mind.   Darksword and Hasslefree have some models that are close to true proportions.

Red Box Games as well.

• Like 2

I would argue that there is not, nor has there been, anything resembling consistent “28mm”. In fact Heritage, Ral Parthia and Grenadier from the ‘70s are 25mm and they certainly aren’t consistent between each other or even within their own brands. Citadel miniatures from the 80s and 90s might be more consistent but only because they only used a few different sculptors, of course that’s the brand that really launched us in to 28mm.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1