Like an ageing 70's rock band heading out on yet another final tour, I fancied having another go at making a WIP thread.

This time I have two different companies take on the Steampunk genre.

Warcradles Nautilus crew from their Lost World Exodus line:-

fVl3a6l.jpg

In the back row we have Violet Smee and Sardar Hardit Singh, and the front row consists of Neko Mei, Erasmus Darwin, Charlotte Anning and Rani Nimue.

These minis are a lot better sculpted and cast than the last lot I got from the range. Changing hands seems to have done the game good, mini-wise at least.

And Demented Games Oz Gang from their Twisted Game:-

414Ndth.jpg

At the back we have the Scarecrow, the Tin-man and the Drunken Cowardly Lion, and in front Mecha Toto and Little Dorothy.

First I've made a start on Singh:-

n6NJXA1.jpg

Trying out a new paint colour, Barbarian Flesh. 

His skintone isn't exactly screaming Indian, but I like it.

I also had a go at the Scarecrow:-

JYwxcsE.jpg

So far he has a Cork Brown head, Yellow Ochre hair, Iraqi Sand teeth, Bronze and Andrea Blue eyes and I've painted the underside of his hat Medium Olive.

He also has a line of very fine stitches going up the centre of his face that I'm not even going to attempt to paint.

• Like 21

I really like the whole steampunk aesthetic, looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a lot of very characterful minis! I really like the way that you've done Singh's skin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2020 at 8:50 PM, Dan S said:

I really like the whole steampunk aesthetic, looking forward to seeing how these turn out.

I'm a big fan of the look too, admittedly though, these guys aren't very steampunk, Violet Smee is one small step from being a historical mini.

On 8/15/2020 at 10:38 PM, Kuroneko said:

That's a lot of very characterful minis! I really like the way that you've done Singh's skin.

Yeah, I was really pleased with his skin (which is why I don't want to change it, even though it's not what I was aiming for!), that new Barbarian Flesh paint is part of Vallejos Game Air line, and I think it's inherent thinness really helped with my layering.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:28 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Excellent!  Your WIPs always make me want to paint some of my Steampunk stuff. (Too bad my desk is covered with Stormtroopers.)

Thanks!

Got a little bit more done today:-

U128OkK.jpg

Singh got a beard. It's another new paint Phantom Grey (which dries annoyingly glossy), black wash and Phantom Grey/Cold Grey. And a turban in Magic Blue, black wash, Magic Blue/Ghost Grey.

I need to do something about his eyes though, they're a bit too big to leave as dots.

EPLDq2Z.jpg

Since it involved drybushing I got all the Scarecrows wood out the way. It's Parasite Brown drybrushed with Yellow Ochre plus a sepia wash.

• Like 10

Gotta get back into the habit of taking regular piccys.

v87knWR.jpgk5PjrXT.jpg

Singh got all his bracers and bicep bands done (Leather Brown > Leather Brown/Iraqi Sand > Bronze decorations > Brown Wash), and I've started on his tentacle whip (it's just Oily Steel at the moment).

Also managed to get a dot of Off-white in his eyes which is a nice improvement.

sr6L6By.jpg

Scarecrows hat is finished (Medium Olive > Medium Olive/Yellow Ochre with an Iraqi Sand band and Yellow Ochre bit of hay) and now I'm working on his belly gears (again, just Oily Steel so far).

• Like 10

More progress!

ohq9unl.jpg

Finished of Singhs whip with some Oily Steel, Aluminium and a Blue Wash. I then gave a power pack a classic Ochre Yellow and Black/Cold Grey hazard stripe cable.

Next will be his trousers.

iby0gEi.jpgOCOc7TU.jpg

The Scarecrows torso was also finished off with Oily Steel and Aluminium.

Found some wood I'd missed, so I did that in Parasite Brown, and a bit of a cloth neck which I did in Cork Brown (I also decided to do his right hand like this too).

Then I did his coat in Scarlett Red with a drop of Hexed Lichen mixed in for the trim.

• Like 11

Progress!

JTUujkC.jpg

Singh got a belt using the same colours as his other straps and trousers (Ghost Grey > Grey Wash > Ghost Grey > Ghost Grey/Off-white > thinned Grey Wash). Unfortunately, between my paints being a bit gloopy and the trousers themselves having a weird grainy texture, they've gone a bit blotchy. Don't look too bad in hand though, so I'm not going to redo them.

9gYftLh.jpg

I then did his gun, holster, knife (not shown) and knee-pads. Again all using the same colours as the previous straps.

dSSiuEZ.jpg

Scarecrow got a power-pack in Oily Steel, Bronze and Andrea Blue.

b96btzI.jpg

Then I did his arms. Left arm is Oily Steel, right arm is Black/Cold Grey (ribbed bits) and Cold Grey/Ghost Grey (smooth bits), just need to tidy these up a bit.

• Like 12

Yet more progress:-

p9TbvcS.jpg

Singh got boots, Brown Leather with a Red Leather strap and lots of Bronze and Oily Steel studs.

Just his base to go.

dHrgRWg.jpg

With Scarecrow I finished off his flamethrower and scythe with lots of Oily Steel and Bronze bits, a Bloody Red fuel tank, more Andrea Blue wires and a little Sun Yellow, Flame Orange, Bloody Red flame.

Getting there slowly. 

• Like 11

Progress:-

Singh is all finished.

Scarecrow is still in progress:-

WEAbe1h.jpg

He got Cork Brown boots, with Ochre Yellow straw tufts, then I painted his pet crow (Stormy Blue/Black, drybrushed with Stormy Blue/Off-white then given a Blue Wash, with Ochre Yellow beak and feet).

Started on his trousers, they're Leather Brown/Ochre Yellow with a Brown Wash so far.

• Like 11

Progress:-

tncT07X.jpg

Finished off the trousers with a highlight of Leather Brown/Ochre Yellow, then added a drop of Iraqi Sand for a second layer.

Just got to do his base now.

• Like 10

Made a start on the next two.

Going for a cat vs. dog vibe with:-

mMQQ9de.jpgp0QtIst.jpg

Neko Mei and Mecha Toto.

wdW5jBg.jpg

I've done Mei's skin in Elf Flesh.

MOC4MRj.jpg

Toto got a tail and head of drybrushed Red Leather/Fire Orange and Red Leather/Fire Orange/Pale Yellow. Plus a Leather Brown nose and Bronze monocle (on the other side).

• Like 11