Sign in to follow this  
Poilu_1914

My first proper painted jewel attempt

Looks pretty excellent, especially for a first try.  Second pic is really convincing.  If anything (at least for the method you're using), maybe make the lighter green more of a crescent shape so the black is a larger proportion of the gem.  Something roughly like 60% black/30% strong green/9% brighter green in the strong green/1%white.  Or break the black up into a green so dark it's indistinguishable from black.  On gems a lot of time less is more with the gem color--the dark, the highlights (yours are great, btw), and the contrast between them are what really sell the gem image.

Great work!

Edited by BLZeebub
PHRASING!
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Poilu_1914 said:

final dots with Wargames Foundry Canvas Highlight 8C and Arctic Grey highlight 33C

I have to ask, how do you like the Foundry line of paints? I have been wanting to try them for years, never taken the plunge on them. They are hard to get here in the States, and what I know of them I've learned from a painter's blog who stopped updating a few years ago (and even then he was starting to replace the ones he'd used up with other brands simply due to how hard they are to find). How would you compare them to other brands (I primarily use a mix of Vallejo and P3)?

• Like 2

I Would Be very proud of that gem.  You pulled of the very rich dark green perfectly.  I might improve the crescent, I'll leave that to others, but I wouldn't change the ratios

Great job and thanks for sharing! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, William said:

Very nice. Gems and water are the bane of my painting experience. 

This is one of the tutorials I used. You can click each step, very easy to follow. Haven't tried water yet :lol:

http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_gemstonesf.php

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I have to ask, how do you like the Foundry line of paints? I have been wanting to try them for years, never taken the plunge on them. They are hard to get here in the States, and what I know of them I've learned from a painter's blog who stopped updating a few years ago (and even then he was starting to replace the ones he'd used up with other brands simply due to how hard they are to find). How would you compare them to other brands (I primarily use a mix of Vallejo and P3)?

I really like them, very comparable to reaper paints. I do prefer the bottle style with the little shelf that holds a small amount of paint, I feel it keeps wastage down. If you do historical, like Civil War, World Wars, Napoleonic, etc., they have paints sets you can buy for those periods, makes it way easier. I personally order the paints directly from their site, they are pretty fast at sending them out.

14 hours ago, BLZeebub said:

Looks pretty excellent, especially for a first try.  Second pic is really convincing.  If anything (at least for the method you're using), maybe make the lighter green more of a crescent shape so the black is a larger proportion of the gem.  Something roughly like 60% black/30% strong green/9% brighter green in the strong green/1%white.  Or break the black up into a green so dark it's indistinguishable from black.  On gems a lot of time less is more with the gem color--the dark, the highlights (yours are great, btw), and the contrast between them are what really sell the gem image.

Great work!

6 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I Would Be very proud of that gem.  You pulled of the very rich dark green perfectly.  I might improve the crescent, I'll leave that to others, but I wouldn't change the ratios

Great job and thanks for sharing! 

Thanks for all the advice! I see what you mean about the crescent. I'll try to fix that. Next gem on my list will be the heart-shaped one on his chest.

Edited by Poilu_1914
added tutorial link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Update: finished the heart-shaped jewel and adjusted the curve in the belly gem. The top two white highlights are paint dots on the heart, the lower middle highlight in the heart and the big middle one in the belly gem is glare from my lighting source (a headlamp, rather primitive but it works).

IMG_0646.jpeg

• Like 3