Sign in to follow this  
GamerPrincess

Dwarf Kickstarter!!!

6 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

I think part of the issue was how much they used to promote on social media and mailing lists.  I would put it just shy of spam, if a Kickstarter launched or got an update I would get 3-4 emails about it, then there'd be 2-3 posts in a row on every FB minis page (including other companies that usually don't promote other lines).  It was a bit nuts.

Kinda reminds me of Draco Studios. I don't mind seeing updates, but I get the feeling they weren't ready to put out a product, even if the product was a digital one. One reason why I've yet to download any file from them cause it seems like every week "updated file from Draco Studios!!".

• Like 2

The 3rd stretch goal is only like $300 away!   You now get like 28 minis in there Collection I & II pledge!  Im so pumped

Where is everyone?   These are cheap and awesome!  LOL 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 5:54 AM, Kalibak said:

They're going to have to create some real buzz if they want to get on people's radars; and exciting, achievable stretch goals seem to me to be the best way to do that. Blacklist Miniatures' very successful KS is probably the greatest recent example of a company that came out of nowhere and created ENORMOUS excitement via it's insanely fun stretch goal journey. I have no doubt that a lot of buyers added them to their "Following" lists as a result of it.

I don't think comparing it the the Blacklist KS is entirely fair. This Dwarf KS has some nice sculpts, but the appeal is different. With the Blacklist KS oder the Bones KS you get a bunch of different creatures and PCs for your basic RPG needs and it tends to attract a lot of people who want to start using miniatures for their gaming. Plastic vs Resin/Metal also helps with the prices which tends to attract more people. 

This KS is more geared towards fans of dwarves, and their have been a lot of those kinds of KSs in the recent-ish past. Comparing them to smaller KSs that also do resin/metal and offer sets of one topic instead of the entire hodge-podge of fantasy  like they're going on at all times in this forum seems more fair. And those don't go the 1M usually. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy them, usually those are the KSs I enjoy the most even, because it is a bit smaller, communication is easier and it's satisfying to have one strong theme between all your new toys. 

I like the sculpts, but I'm full on dwarves and the only reason for me to buy more would be if a player wants to have a certain one for their character. Having the first SG relatively late sounds sensible though, after all you don't want those small creators to overstretch themselves, risking non-fullfilment because they promised more than they can deliver.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Nunae said:

I don't think comparing it the the Blacklist KS is entirely fair. This Dwarf KS has some nice sculpts, but the appeal is different. With the Blacklist KS oder the Bones KS you get a bunch of different creatures and PCs for your basic RPG needs and it tends to attract a lot of people who want to start using miniatures for their gaming. Plastic vs Resin/Metal also helps with the prices which tends to attract more people. 

This KS is more geared towards fans of dwarves, and their have been a lot of those kinds of KSs in the recent-ish past. Comparing them to smaller KSs that also do resin/metal and offer sets of one topic instead of the entire hodge-podge of fantasy  like they're going on at all times in this forum seems more fair. And those don't go the 1M usually. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy them, usually those are the KSs I enjoy the most even, because it is a bit smaller, communication is easier and it's satisfying to have one strong theme between all your new toys. 

I like the sculpts, but I'm full on dwarves and the only reason for me to buy more would be if a player wants to have a certain one for their character. Having the first SG relatively late sounds sensible though, after all you don't want those small creators to overstretch themselves, risking non-fullfilment because they promised more than they can deliver.

I agree with you Nunae.  They are a small company specializing in a group of miniatures not attached to any game.  They will not make 1M on this kickstarter and not even 100k, however they are off to a good start and have 100 backers and almost to there 4th stretch goal. I just wish more people would jump onto this KS cause the miniatures cost is cheap, like $2.50!  Thats bones prices for Resin not plastic.  Anyways, hopefully these guys get to 40-50k.  That just means more free stuff for me.  Lol

On 8/20/2020 at 12:12 PM, Adrift said:

I think GamerPrincess is actually the guy who runs their company. 

Well, since I seem to have the ear of someone at the company :lol: , I'll offer an example of something else that Blacklist did to maintain excitement during their campaign.

Rather than just revealing one stretch goal at a a time (as Tomb Guardians are doing here), they arranged it such that the next TWO stretch goals were visible at each milestone. That was effective because it meant that if you were less enthused by the next stretch goal (someone not interested in the zombie dwarf for example) you might still get excited and want to pledge (or increase your pledge) because the stretch goal after that was one that you wanted (that person's lessened enthusiasm during the build-up period to the zombie dwarf might have remained high if they knew and wanted the hobgoblin that was coming up afterward, for example). 

P.S. If you're still listening TG, I'm always up for an interesting variety of halflings and an Amazons II would be nice too. :)

10 hours ago, Nunae said:

I agree and I certainly didn't meant to imply that this KS should (or could) reach anything like the numbers of dollars or backers of the Blacklist campaign. And the company's stretch goals should always be within their means of course. Always better to under-promise and over-deliver than the reverse IMO.

I was just thinking that lower stretch goals (only initially if necessary) along with my recommendation re: reveals above, would help create and maintain excitement/interest that didn't seem to exist a couple of days ago when I pledged.

I'm happy to see that, for whatever reason, the pledges seem to be coming in faster now.

Edited by Kalibak
  • Like 3

Reaper Bones has even moved past the generic fantasy hero dwarf. The Bones III KS dwarves were from 2015.

BL games' KS also included the Altar Quest pledge, which was an even better deal than Reaper Bones Core Set. The BL games KS also had a plug from the creator of Gloomhaven, one of the most popular boardgames on BGG. And BL games had already published three (?) miniatures boardgames, so had something of a track record among boardgamers. Boardgamers are a larger audience than miniature painters and gamers, so collectively will fund more on a KS project.

That's not to say the dwarves in this KS are not worth picking up. The sculpts are good. But generic fantasy hero dwarves, as said, aren't highly in demand because miniature enthusiasts already have a fair number them. I still haven't painted my Bones or Grenadier 1980's dwarf sets.

You'll need to find that odd niche that's in demand yet hasn't been filled yet. Tiny Furniture, for example, primary designs furniture, yet their KS was for corpses, which few miniature companies make in quantity for wargames or terrain features -- including dead and/or passed out dwarves. I think I even got a set for the tavern...

Spoiler

6110b81882c7096d1e8619d50f79d65e_origina86625888d46c844aff08b092a73c9b5e_origina47ebfdc213fec3d68e4425bb21788cd2_origina

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 3

I backed this Kickstarter for the Dwarves I & II. Getting the 3 bear riders for free was an awesome gift! I was hoping that someone had shared this here on the message board. This is really good deal for price. I've tried to share this on some of the FB groups I belong to and shared it with my gamer friends. 

On 8/22/2020 at 12:19 PM, MoonKing said:

Getting the 3 bear riders for free was an awesome gift!

I think had the creator led the campaign with bear riders, it might have had more attention. The Assault Group had Halflings on armored roosters, and Troll Trader had Egyptian versions of various fantasy races. 

fyi, For Reaper painters here, certain sculptors are well-known, and I noticed these sculptors in this campaign : Jason Wiebe (Dwarfs), Bobby Jackson (Monsters), Gene Van Horne (Monsters).

35 minutes ago, ced1106 said:

I think had the creator led the campaign with bear riders, it might have had more attention. The Assault Group had Halflings on armored roosters, and Troll Trader had Egyptian versions of various fantasy races. 

fyi, For Reaper painters here, certain sculptors are well-known, and I noticed these sculptors in this campaign : Jason Wiebe (Dwarfs), Bobby Jackson (Monsters), Gene Van Horne (Monsters).

Ced1106, Tomb Guardians only uses Jason Wiebe, Bobby Jackson and Gene Van Horne as there sculptures.   You can tell the quality of the minis.  Im assuming you back this?  

There on there 5th day and have opened 5 stretch goals and close to another!  You have to love free stuff!  We need to get all of the Reaper fans that love the sculptures to get on their bandwagon.  

I agree maybe would have helped leading with Bear Riders but there free now.  I have to say I love the Cave Ogre, i think I may get him.

I really like these dwarves, but I have already backed and received 2 other pure dwarf Kickstarters, so I have all the dwarves I could ever need. 

I hope they are not over-extending themselves with these prices. 

Edited by Citrine
Grammar
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Citrine said:

I really like these dwarves, but I have already backed and received 2 other pure dwarf Kickstarters, so I have all the dwarves I could ever need. 

I hope they are not over-extending themselves with these prices. 

These dwarves are really nice and the cost is really cheap!  Cant go wrong at $2.00 a miniature!  The core set now comes with 17 minis!!!  God love free stuff

No, I didn't back. I have too many dwarves, most unpainted. The KS page says $2.56 per miniature?