Sign in to follow this  
Highlander

Purges

I have too many of everything -- paints, brushes, sanding sticks, glues.  I find that I tend to keep anything that I might have future use for, someday, after a while, at the end of time.

So, today, I looked at my three bins of brushes.  One bin has a few -- the Da Vincis.  Then I had two bins with all sorts of brushes, I've had for a long time.  I decided I needed to go through them, so  I did.  And got rid of 15 brushes ... and kept two, trimmed the bristles straight so I can use them as stippling brushes.  I feel quite satisfied that I'll never be tempted to use what were brushes that were shot, but which I tried to get one more use from.  The reduction of one bin now allows about 36 square inches more room on my workbench.

I went through my plastic bottles of distilled water and painting additive mixes and glue mixes.  I combined them and arranged them and got rid of two bottles  That really neatened things up.

And, then the paints.  I uncovered about 30 paint bottles I'd shoved in the corner to be inventoried and stored later.  I've arranged them so I can begin that task soon.  Plus, after reading a relatively recent post on maintaining paints, I've started moving paints to my shaker and, as I have a few minutes of time, shake them, put in a ball bearing, label them, and return them to their bins.  I figure I might be able to get through my paints by the end of the year.  And, if I find a paint that has gone bad, I can dump it and replace it.

It is, overall, an examination of all the paints and brushes and such that I've had forever and a  purge of items that I find are of no real use.  Also, I have moved up my Kolinsky brushes for routine use; the synthetics are now reserved for rough usage and extremely fine dotting and such.

Anybody else ever purged their painting supplies?  Does it happen regularly?

• Like 14

I don't really go through my stuff and do such, probably because I'm constantly analyzing a number of things.  Could I lower the amounts of paints I have?  Probably, but I'll just not replace some things as they get used up ^_^

• Like 3

I tend to haphazardly purge things when they happen to come up - grab a thing of glue, oops, dried up, let's go inspect the others to see if anything needs tossing... Or sometimes I'll be looking for one thing and find something else that I'll realize I don't really have any use for and there's no point to keeping it.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

No, but I lose stuff all the time, which is kind of the same. 

Edit: I do go through the paint-and-take supplies, but there's no events this year. I suspect next year there will be some purging of old paint.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

i prune, not purge.  i'll give duplicate paints and minis i don't think i'll ever paint to friends i'm bringing into the hobby but also started bringing stuff to local convention paint n takes.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

No, I don't purge. Unless it has been rendered completely useless or unsalvageable. I paid good money for my supplies, I need them, they're... my preciousssss...

Only once have I given unused brushes to someone: my brother. He bought a troll mini, I was showing him how to paint, and gave him three synthetics I'd had for years. And then he left them here, so I put them back into the brush box. If we go by the saying "possession is 90% of ownership", they're still mine...

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, mikem91 said:

i prune, not purge.  i'll give duplicate paints and minis i don't think i'll ever paint to friends i'm bringing into the hobby but also started bringing stuff to local convention paint n takes.  

Yeah, that's a better way to summarize what I do too. I've given away some figures, paints, and brushes that I'm not using to friends who will. Major ditching of stuff? Nope.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still have a paintbrush that's missing the brush, so I guess not. :D

I've only thrown away empty used eye droppers and paper clips, since I have new ones to replace them. The GW flip-pot that dried out, I refilled with red craft paint. Works just as well as the original paint for advanced tabletop. :upside:

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Highlander said:

I have too many of everything -- paints, brushes, sanding sticks, glues.  I find that I tend to keep anything that I might have future use for, someday, after a while, at the end of time.

Not my painting supplies, but I did purge a lot of terrain stuff and minis a while ago.

Started a BOGW for the minis.

Seriously with all the kickstarters, sales, 3d printing and collecting it got to the point where I realised I won't ever paint it all.

So I purged all that doesn't fit into one of my many projects.

Still got new stuff coming, I figure I will sell duplicates I get from a certain KS and keep the most interesting stuff.

I also tend to collect a lot of flock etc, I purged a big part of that, still have a lot, but I also use Pinrollers and resin bases these days, so I tend to use less of it than I used to.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, ced1106 said:

I still have a paintbrush that's missing the brush, so I guess not. :D

That's a handle ready for use. 

Stick a piece of a paperclip in the end and it's a sculpting tool. 

I tossed out a Raphael 8404 recently... 

Of course, I had just used it with a solvent-based primer, and it had already been in the 'abuse me' box for a while since the bristles were... rather bristly... 

• Like 5

I just did the exact same thing with my entire studio last spring.  I still have about 4 feet of open shelf space.

• Like 5

The only purges I've done were related to sorting through a bunch of old paint I picked up at the end of a paint-n-take.  After a couple years, knowing I wasn't using those paints, I went through and transferred some to bottles I was using, pitched the dried out ones (retrieving the Reaper skulls in the bottom if possible), etc.  Rarely do I discard old brushes because old ones can always be used to mix paint or for terrain pieces where detail isn't important.  Just last night I used a brush I wouldn't otherwise use to stipple a building's wall because (1) it was handy and (2) it was large enough and splayed enough to give a really random pattern.

Now the question of "should I purge" has a different answer.  I definitely need to sit down and organize.  A couple projects have finally reached a stopping point so I can replace all the paints into their respective places, rinse and wash brushes, reorganize the tools.  But purging probably won't happen, because even though I have a triangular piece of styrene cut off from a larger piece to make a base for that building I mentioned, eventually I can break that little piece up and make rubble with it. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I just did the exact same thing with my entire studio last spring.  I still have about 4 feet of open shelf space.

My hero.

In the case of brushes, I found several small synthetic brushes that had only a suggestion of bristles left.  I also noted that other synthetics had developed a distinct hook at the tip of the bristles, but, as they were mostly intact, I've been using them.  A major result of the purge is that I now use mostly Kolinskys for my painting ... and my painting has improved dramatically.  I guess I had resolved to use the synthetics, whatever their condition, because I had paid for them.

Reading the above has made me decide to go back into my brushes and do a second pass.  I have enough brushes to paint the Grand Canyon, but many will just lead to frustration for fine mini painting.

Next, as I go through my paint maintenance routine, is to dump any paints that are gone or are questionable.  I can replace the Reapers easily, if I decide I have to have them.

• Like 9