Sign in to follow this  
Highlander

Purges

I have not purged anything.  I've never gone overboard purchasing painting supplies.  Aside from the large number of Bones I have in my closet from all of the kickstarters, I have been decently selective in my other miniature purchases.  For the last couple of years I have tended towards purchasing a few larger models so my storage space hasn't been filling up that quickly.  Were I to get rid of anything it would be the older generation Bones that I've never painted.

• Like 5

Ah, Bones!  I now only consider getting a Bones mini if it has no obviously bendable parts.  So pikes and poles and long swords and such are right out.  One of the figures I got has a sword that is bent 180 degrees --  no way  that can be fixed.  Because my experience with Bones is that, once bent, in spite of all the techniques I've tried and been advised to try, it will ultimately return to bent.

So, next on my purge list is my relatively limited Bones collection.  I can probably get rid of half.

• Like 4

I periodically will prune and purge paints and minis.  It's tough at times, but accepting that I'll never really paint something can leave room to get something new that I probably won't paint.  :B):

Ron

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am about to embark upon a purge to hopefully net me some extra space.

Of course, I'm not planning to purge the minis themselves, but merely the blister packs they are contained in.  I store blisters of minis in plastic shoe boxes so I only fit ~20 blisters per box, so if I put the minis in bags, I should be able to fit at least 50-100 minis per box (that just a WAG; Wild broccoli Guess).  I have a lot of shoeboxes full of blisters.

I will periodically purge unwanted minis by way of the melt table or the Box of Good Will.  I have noticed that some wanted minis have been being siphoned off by Youngest Daughter as she goes through spurts of mini painting.  Those I may have to replace eventually.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Highlander said:

Speaking of purges, the word is out that Reaper is about to purge one or more paint lines.

No, Reaper is going to reduce some number of SKUs in the current MSP line and an official announcement to this effect will be coming soon.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I am about to embark upon a purge to hopefully net me some extra space.

Of course, I'm not planning to purge the minis themselves, but merely the blister packs they are contained in.  I store blisters of minis in plastic shoe boxes so I only fit ~20 blisters per box, so if I put the minis in bags, I should be able to fit at least 50-100 minis per box (that just a WAG; Wild broccoli Guess).  I have a lot of shoeboxes full of blisters.

I use 36 compartment asortement boxes for my minis (and 18compartment, and 24compartment... The ones with 24 are rather large, though, and the 18s are discontinued, so the 36 is being phased in)

I guess that 4 x 18compartment boxes take slightly less space than a shoebox, 

The 36 compartment is 27x17.5x4.5cm in size.

(can be found on sites selling chinese rubbish, or possibly beading sites... )  

If you use ziplocks or even assortement boxes, get a sharpie and write SKU on the baggies. 

On the boxes I use price tags and a fine pen and place the stickers on top of the lid, above each mini. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I use 36 compartment asortement boxes for my minis (and 18compartment, and 24compartment... The ones with 24 are rather large, though, and the 18s are discontinued, so the 36 is being phased in)

I guess that 4 x 18compartment boxes take slightly less space than a shoebox, 

The 36 compartment is 27x17.5x4.5cm in size.

(can be found on sites selling chinese rubbish, or possibly beading sites... )  

If you use ziplocks or even assortement boxes, get a sharpie and write SKU on the baggies. 

On the boxes I use price tags and a fine pen and place the stickers on top of the lid, above each mini. 

I plan on cutting off the card with the label and putting in the bag for identification purposes.  Anything without a legible label (I have so so old minis) will get the sharpie treatment.

• Like 1

Wow. Didn't realize that purging was so rare!

I'm also an intermittent purger. I tend to do the same as you -- hang onto / collect things that just seem too potentially useful to pitch. Then, every now and then, I look around and get frustrated by the lack or organization  / space, and go through and purge. (I do this with stuff besides painting supplies  -- just seems to be how I work.)

Perhaps more in the spirit of pruning rather than purging: I have backed all five Bones Kickstarters. That's a lot of minis! A while ago I got a bunch of storage boxes and sorted all my Bones into labeled bins -- "Good Guys," "Bad Guys," "Animals," "Terrain," etc. Within each bin, things are further sorted into ziploc bags -- "Evil Magic Users," "Female Fighters," etc. (My friend made fun of me because, as a biologist, I have the animals divided into bags of like "Ungulates," "Crocodilians," "Canids (including Demonic Hounds.")

When I did this, I looked at each mini and honestly assessed whether a given mini was something I was actually at all interested in painting. That led to a smallish box of cast-offs (which anyone is welcome to claim, if they want). This still left me with a lot of boxes. So my personal rule is that, whenever a Bones Kickstarter delivers, I have to discard enough minis (old or new) to maintain the same number of boxes. This has generally meant culling older, softer Bones for the nicer grey models as they come in. It has kept my painting loft from getting overrun by kobolds and ogres, however.

• Like 2