Fjyrrulm Awaits: Aussie's Ongoing Fantasy Mini Extravaganza

I finally got around to putting paint on some Frostgrave figures the past couple of days!

Group_Zenithal.thumb.jpg.5d4ed6b6e266b3e34f83dbb1b590a645.jpg

I started by doing a basecoat of black primer with some brown mixed in, followed by a zenithal highlight with some white ink. There are a couple of wolves and a boar in the foreground, to be used as hounds.

Tracker_zenithal.jpg.d8a1fdc2605c1b506b5b96bd1ae6d830.jpg

I chose this piece to be my brother's tracker. She may not have a qurterstaff, but she fits the vibe, and I'm not not hell-bent on WYSIWYG. She's hiding on the left of the baove photo.

While taking these WIP shots, I was wondering to myself, "should I change out my wet-pallette sheet? No, I should be fine."

IMG_2120.thumb.jpg.36c0fe9a43453f3f1b4beaca0a090973.jpg

...then this happened. I'd absentmindedly set my pallete on the chair to take pics, and then sat on it out of reflex :lol: I know where I'm not setting that down again, even if for "just a moment."

IG_WIP_1.thumb.jpg.5edeba47c3ae8fbc9c7c91ec1d83e2d5.jpg

ErD_WIP_1.thumb.jpg.8935cd1c65cca43374b918c2e59da79a.jpg

While I had the airbush out, I decided to get some quick basecoats on some big-boys I plan on painting soon.

Thief_and_hounds.thumb.jpg.e37aa1a8f05b367b42fd621aefe86ccf.jpg

Sorry for the dark pic, but you're not missing much, This is where I stopped last night. Got some decent colors and gradients established. It was nice to paint something that I didn't feel any pressure about doing "perfectly," for a change.

Boar_and_hound_WIP_2.jpg.b74ee726096159391f1c1dec5a78a314.jpgThief1_WIP_2.thumb.jpg.2470647a4f1913be7035ac6026b10c1b.jpg

I used some trageted shading in the recess areas to add some needed contrast and definition. Looks nice, now they all just need some little finishing touches.

SethApprentince_WIP_1.thumb.jpg.6c78c5649f3bea3cf804538ef1066df8.jpg

I decided to tackle my brother's apprentice, too. I mostly used paints that were thinned to the point where they almost acted like contrast paints, and did a couple layers. I also did some needed washing on the drown and tan. This was a nice and fast way to get some good contrast and defintiion on a mini. I think I only spent 20-30 minutes getting him to this point.

Thanks for reading, as always!

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a while since I've posted! I fell into a bit of a motivational slump, but have been able to climb out of that and get a decent bit of work done. I haven't been sleeping well lately, so I probably won't ramble on as much as I normally do....or maybe that just means I'll ramble more :lol:

So I finished both mine and my brother's Frostgrave warbands! Well, finished to a point where I'll be happy with them on the table. I do want to go back and add/rework some things (he says, thinking of all the other figures he's said he'll do that to...)

First, my group:

GreenMen1.JPG.1c5c3bd138f82b3f70b00a4618055eb4.JPGKilgore.thumb.JPG.8f479d4dcdc2a0c42e0b5e3bae4201be.JPG

I haven't shown these guys before, and that's partly because they've been sitting in "I'll get to finishing them eventually" purgatory. The archers are part of a group that I speed-painted last summer, for a DnD game my brother was running later that day. I'm really pleased with how the green turned out! Sometimes that pressure can be a great motivator to just go, and not be too critical of oneself.

The other guy is my PC from that same game, a half-orc druid named Kilgore. I'm using him as my apprentice. For a first time doing OSL, I think it's alright. But I think it needs redoing, I think I added one or two too many glazes.

ScoutBarbarian.jpg.c6d22c74d9eda6b4b55c65bb7f7d790d.jpg

VillagerBoar.thumb.JPG.815200e1d6117d4acaf08aa5f728ac33.JPG

I really want to spend a decent amount of time adding some OSL from the lantern, but he's good for now. The boar doesn't have quite that much contrast IRL, but still looks pretty good. It was a fun color gradient I used, I want to play around with that kind of thing on future furry creatures.

VillageThieves.JPG.477343a07b5d442f44a9693fac5f9300.JPGAhgzohar.thumb.JPG.efbb3ff4631881e5a65a43d65f938a78.JPG

I spent a little more time working on my wizard than anything else, but I still need to paint the fur around his boots, and his beard. I want to do some more work on the pelt, too. I'll have to post a picture of that next time. The elemental shield was the best effort vs. reward ratio out of anything I painted. I just put a couple of thin coats of Nihilak Oxide over the zenithal basecoat, and it turned out great! After that, I decided to try a quick layer of it on the wizard's hand for some quick and easy OSL, and boy, that turned out well! I finished with a thin layer of white over the eye I sculpted, just to brighten the source of the light. Best 20 seconds of painting I've ever had :lol:

And now, my brother's warband:

SethWizardApprentice.JPG.21330d2658c325dd5a634cd2a3fddeff.JPGSethThieves.JPG.58861f1151af84e73b0185b462d6e7ea.JPGSethHounds.JPG.f132acbfcedf95a6df608e94ddd1d0a1.JPGSethTrackerArmsMan.thumb.JPG.642939fda21d892c8d36e88b8b81b00f.JPGSethCapt.JPG.0207d6bab1ce8817c19ce4a5a191689f.JPG

This captain is, after my wizard, my favorite mini I've painted from this group.

That's it for now! I should be able to get a game in within the next couple of days, so I'll try to remember taking some shots of the dramatic moments. Plus, I got some really cool terrain from the recent Battle Systems fantasy kickstarter, so I'll get a chance to use it for the first time, and show it off. It's really great stuff, I feel like it has some incredible bang for the buck.

Thanks for looking and/or reading!

• Like 12

It's been far, far too long since I've posted! I hadn't done any hobbying after my last post, until about mid-February. Since, then, I've been working somewhat consistently on various projects. I need to get some decent photos before I show any of the new things, but I did finally do some more work on my dragon!

I continued work of getting the overall skin tones and transitions where I want them, with a lot of emphasis on the shadows. Those purples are pulling some major weight, and I just love them. I also added several more layers of glazing with reds and oranges across the skin. I think I'm very, very close to being satisfied enough to start the pin-lining/washing between the scaly-skin, and then the highlights. I also did some filtering with black on the shadows of the wings, to work on boosting that contrast.

Thanks for looking! I'll be better about posting, now that I have things to post.

WIP_39.JPG

• Like 10

On 3/24/2021 at 7:26 PM, Darcstaar said:

Love that dragon!

Some really cool work in here.

Thanks, Darcstaar! It's been gratifying to get some color on all of this grey.

I've gotten some more work done on the dragon over the last couple days, still refining those volumes. Got the face much brighter, so it's starting to command the attention it deserves. I also did some work on the back, both the body and the wing, to get them more in line with the rest of the beast. The wing is still incredibly rough, but at least it's not as colorless as it was.

I'll make sure to get some pictures of the skeletons and zombies I recently did for the next time I post an update. Oh, and the various scatter terrain I did...::D: It feels good to be productive!

WIP_42.jpg

WIP_43.jpg

• Like 11

On 4/1/2021 at 6:40 AM, Samedi said:

That dragon is absolutely amazing!

Thanks, Samedi! I keep pushing to make it better, because the sculpt is so inspiring.

On 4/1/2021 at 12:03 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Super!

Thanks, Glitter!

I got around to taking some pictures of the undead I recently worked on, as well as getting some more work done on the dragon.

IMG-2589.thumb.jpg.cf01444412bf024b050db17a992d6681.jpgIMG-2591.thumb.jpg.401d5c58f1b4c012f873e845f6c0413d.jpg

Here are some skeletons I threw together from the GW skeleton warriors kit. I needed some archers, so I cut off some weapons and added some various bow and quiver bits, so they could play the part. Next time, I'll remember to at least paint in the appearance of negative space, where the weapons were cut and the hands filed.

I really like how all the colors go together, specifically on the warriors proper. The red, with the brass and the bit of verdigris just really does it for me, and was really straightforward to accomplish. The colors are a little muted in the photos, which may be due to them being on my colorful painting mat. This was a nice, simple project to get me back in the swing of things.

IMG-2592.thumb.jpg.17fd0681722e91695b30f2a740466086.jpgIMG-2594.thumb.jpg.7add8e59baa1b9d4d029e8ae82c5a49d.jpg

Next I did some zombies. I did all of the smaller ones, before moving on to the big guys, who I'd impaled with some weapons. I wanted to play around with using different color combinations to make up all the skin tones. I had a lot more fun on the bigger guys than the smaller, and on the center guy impaled by a spear, in particular. Another relatively fun and rewarding project, without a huge amount of effort.

WIP_44.thumb.jpg.d6cf377b759244ec8073d56c1539ddf0.jpgWIP_47.thumb.jpg.7fd0e3afc4f6cedbe008a5d0204a2b9c.jpgWIP_45.thumb.jpg.fd36d08ca45d79535efc503b4edd8397.jpgWIP_48.thumb.jpg.857ff78d9d453f715427110c6ff49877.jpg

And finally, some progress on the dragon. I'm still refining all the blends and volumes, while starting to do some detail work on the face. I figure if I work one part up to a high standard, that will motivate me to do so on the rest of the figure, so it's (at least mostly) consistent. I took advantage of some clouds to go outside and get some pictures in some soft daylight. I took one under my normal painting light, for comparison. The main difference I've noticed is just how much brighter the throat looks in the daylight, compared to my work light. My light is slightly on the warm side, so it makes sense that it would effectively dull that brightness.

The more I work on this, the more I love it, which is both great, and a somewhat novel experience for me :lol: And, I'm really seeing the end is in sight, and I can make this thing look as great as I think it deserves.

Thanks, as always, for looking!

• Like 10

On 4/6/2021 at 12:20 AM, Glitterwolf said:

I always like me some Undead!

Looking good!

Great Dragon, that will be an awesome centrepiece!

14 hours ago, Samedi said:

Those plus sized zombies are really cool sculpts! Who makes them?

Thanks, Glitter and Samedi! Those bigger zombies are all Reaper Bones figures. The hunched over one is a ghast, SKU #77159, and the others are a pair of lemures, SKU #77326. All of the weapons were bitz from my collection, I just drilled some holes or cut out small wedges with my hobby knife before gluing them in place.

I have some pictures of a couple guys I've been getting ready for paint:

IMG-2466.thumb.jpg.ba360a5b39abd2ab7bf76396b221f38e.jpgIMG-2458.thumb.jpg.b150145d8abfe2b1de96854b66146034.jpgIMG-2462.thumb.jpg.8d8fb316e46c5fbcce7b848467f1ae9e.jpgIMG-2421.jpg.19bd050eb363c7ae2816b2d30b7486f9.jpg

I got this guy from MOM Miniatures, a Spanish company. I stumbled upon their site one day, like ya do, and love their stuff. This figure originally had an axe in each hand, so I got rid of those. I made the sword blade from some plasticard, the handle came from a Reaper bit from my collection, and then I used some wire as a base for the crossguard, before sculpting in some details with greenstuff.

The decaptitated head in his hand was a little tricky, but totally worth it. The base head is from the GW Crypt Ghouls, and I added some wire to attach it to the hand. I added the hair, recently-cleaved neck, and a nose. I had a tongue flopping out of his mouth, but that has disappeared, and I don't care enough to make a new one. I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, and look forward to using those skills on another project.

IMG-2648.thumb.jpg.5c3bd283370d7253a499e162224339fd.jpgIMG-2649.thumb.jpg.89903dd196616f56cea0d284dac2b4a8.jpg

This one is also from MOM miniatures. He's HUGE! That's a 25mm base he's on. Almost as tall as the Reaper ogres. The other guy is actually the same size, but his pose hides that some. The figure came with an axe, but I wasn't a fan of the sculpt. I removed the blades, and found this matching pair of 'gargoyle' heads that are from an old GW Chaos vehicle accessory sprue. I'm excited with how cool it looks.

I love how much simple conversions can really change a model. It's so satisfying to feel like you've transformed a piece, just with one or two minor adjustments.

Now, they go to sit in Purgatory with all the other figures that are ready to be painted! :lol:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 12:23 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Nice conversions on those Chaos Warriors!

That warhammer you made looks pretty cool!

Thanks, Glitter! They're some big models, about twice as tall as a normal chaos warrior.

I've really wanted to being posting more, and consistently, but depression has really been kicking my butt for the last few months. I've had some improvement there, and have gotten myself to do some work on the hobby. I'll post more on that later (HA!).

I come to you today with a request, and that is for some opinions regarding color schemes. I've made some mock-ups of a few, and would really appreciate any feedback, ideas, and your preferences.

I'm pretty set on having a gold/brassy color for the trim and the color of the sword; it's the main color giving me a headache.

IMG-0022.thumb.PNG.2eb3ec137fce9f47c4025a79c294077f.PNG

Here's a basic black, with no tinting. Probably my least favorite.

IMG-0023.thumb.PNG.c0c6f0c346c6527d8cf9a702c3e5359a.PNG

Here's either a bluish black. I think it's a little too blue, but I think it's pretty good. Definitely an improvement on the first.

IMG-0032.thumb.PNG.723e7a86c9e6550130992236d8786148.PNG

This one is a little more in the Space-Wolves territory, or maybe a mid-tone steel. I think it looks pretty good, but not sure where I land on it.

IMG-0030.thumb.PNG.150c513c6bb698c78b04f0ac900fd5d0.PNG

And lastly, The one I think I like the most. A bit more of a coppery/bronzy kinda color. Some differentiation, but overall in a very similar kind of palete.

So what do you think? Are there any other cool options I'm overlooking? I'm doing this mostly for aesthetics, and am not making an army or anything, so I don't need to take that into consideration.

Thanks for looking, as always!!

• Like 3