Sign in to follow this  
AdorablyOther

New to painting, need advice on sealing

Hello! I started painting my gloomhaven miniatures a little more than a year ago. I did a bunch of research, bought a starter kit from reaper, washed, primed, and sealed them. I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with it, so I didn't invest a ton into the hobby. I was pretty conservative with the sealant (testors dullcote), and only did one layer.

The hobby had stuck and I would like to go back and reseal the ones I did at the very beginning, for extra protection. They have been played with, so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Should I wash them again? Would that ruin the paint? How many layers do people suggest? I've read about using a layer of gloss then the matte

Any suggestions or help would be very appreciated. Thank you!

• Like 4

Welcome to the Forum.

I use Army Painter's Antishine Spray Varnish or Reaper Brush on Sealer.

But I only paint for display so handling is at a minimum.

• Like 2

Hello and welcome!

I've never been in your situation before, always sealed my gaming miniatures from the start. But if I were in your shoes, this is what I would do:

• Don't scrub them with anything. Too much pressure might scrape your paint off.
  • Take a normal clean paintbrush, dip it into some clean water (no soap*), and gently go over the minis. Hopefully that should remove any finger grease.
  • Let them dry fully before sealing them.

*Reason I would avoid using soapy water to wash them is because you'll have to really rinse them off well, as any soap residue will create the same problem with the sealer that you are trying to avoid with the finger grease. Plus, if you used any basing material with PVA glue, the rinsing might loosen that glue and ruin the basing.

As for sealing, for gaming miniatures you can give them a coat of gloss sealer and then matte varnish to kill the shine. I typically do two coats of gloss sealer and one of matte for maximum protection (this used to be called "bullet-coating", no idea if others call it that).

Others might have better suggestions on how to clean them prior to re-sealing.

• Like 3

If you hit them with Testors Dullcote when you painted them, and none of the paint has chipped or rubbed off, then they'll be fine.

If there's any basing material on them it may complicate things.

If there's no basing materials on them, just dip the corner of a rag in soapy water and wipe them off to get any dust or grease off of them, then rinse them thoroughly and let them dry for at least twelve hours before you hit them with the gloss coat. Wait twenty-four hours for the gloss coat to cure before you hit it with the Dullcote again.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3

Thank you all for the welcomes and suggestions! Yes, Mad Jack, the paint has held up, no chipping that I can see. No basing materials, I just painted over what they came on. I will try your suggestion and report back. Thank you!

Edited by AdorablyOther
more details
  • Like 2

Testors Dullcote is one of (if not THE) the strongest miniature level sealers.  It's meant to seal/degloss enamels.  One coat should be great.  It is a thinner-based sealer though, so I wouldn't use anything by Reaper on top of that, as it won't stick.  You'll need either a spray sealer (Krylon, Rustoleum, whatever) to stick to the Dullcote.  Then you could use Reaper/waterborne sealers on top.

• Like 3

I've used Testors Dullcote for all of my minis that hit the table for many years.  I usually double coat PC or board game characters and single coat anything that I will be doing most of the handling with.  there's only one or 2 I have had to reseal over the (way too many) years.  I am also going to say (realizing that I am providing grounds for heresy) that I don't wash my minis or degrease them before doing a reseal.  I use a soft paintbrush to knock any dust out of the crevices and then respray them with Dullcote.  I have never had a problem with fingermarks or spots where the dullcote didn't stick.  Hope you continue to have fun with Gloomhaven.  We are about halfway through the game and just seeing the first wave of character changes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

I've used Testors Dullcote for all of my minis that hit the table for many years.  I usually double coat PC or board game characters and single coat anything that I will be doing most of the handling with.  there's only one or 2 I have had to reseal over the (way too many) years.  I am also going to say (realizing that I am providing grounds for heresy) that I don't wash my minis or degrease them before doing a reseal.  I use a soft paintbrush to knock any dust out of the crevices and then respray them with Dullcote.  I have never had a problem with fingermarks or spots where the dullcote didn't stick.  Hope you continue to have fun with Gloomhaven.  We are about halfway through the game and just seeing the first wave of character changes.

That's great to hear! Makes me feel better about (hopefully) not ruining them. We're loving Gloomhaven, and I'm really enjoying how the painted minis bring things to life. We also just got into our second set of characters!

• Like 3

Hi everyone! Wanted to give you all an update. I had to wait a while to reseal the minis, as the weather has not been ideal here. I wiped them off gently with a soft brush dipped in some lightly soapy water, then rinsed them and let them dry for 24 hours. I tried this out on the first one I ever painted, figuring if I screwed it up with the soap it wouldn't be a big deal to repaint him. Everything seems to have gone great! I sealed them with testor's glosscote, waited 24 hours, then hit them with the dullcote. Thanks again for everyone's help! Here's a picture of the first gloomhaven mini I painted, the Inox Brute!

00.thumb.jpg.b3e3ef831069cfe3db88b1221d12a8c0.jpg

• Like 12