Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rat13

Model railroad house into multilevel wargaming terrain

Recommended Posts

Recently I acquired a model railroad house for a dollar. I didn't have a real plan for it at first but the price was right.

20200822_204644.thumb.jpg.3ca19c7359b7a25c0b0724218a812591.jpg20200822_204703.thumb.jpg.a924e2f70d144e5011a539a05a206814.jpg

 

After sitting beside my desk for the last couple months I finally had an idea. This was a perfect starting point for an abandoned house and with just a bit of work I could add a second floor and a garage "roof". Plus with just a bit of planning I could keep it all removeable so the entire interior is playable.

 

So with the help of my guardsmen conscript, I found roughly the right height of the first floor. I added a framework for the second level. 

20200822_215716.thumb.jpg.f8391a44f7aebdbd1775fc622a0daf10.jpg

 

With a support structure in place it was just a matter of creating a platform. 20200822_215727.thumb.jpg.fdc898d63336e9c52897b0274bc37feb.jpg20200822_215736.thumb.jpg.9e4f212d788527c94e35dde6de2c0717.jpg20200822_215756.thumb.jpg.aa33452f4bb64db63197204fb1617adf.jpg

 

Too late I realized I could have just used craft sticks on the underside of the platform. I also opted to ignore the idea of a staircase or a ladder to keep the entire platform and lower level playable. I doubt anyone I game with is going to call me out on it.

 

I ended up adding the center barrel out of necessity, it works great for lifting the platform out. It also gives it a nice extra touch that pushes the idea of an abandoned building. I pushed that idea that much further with the addition of some "smoke".

20200823_203958.thumb.jpg.5c9b8181b80e68c7c72d51aafeb22e02.jpg

 

For the garage I did much of the same thing. Luckily with the overhang and not being surrounded by four walls another grab barrel wasn't necessary. 

20200822_222119.thumb.jpg.378fbc40f305ee84c0a19cf7bfaf19ed.jpg20200822_222139.thumb.jpg.18761c7c8972265348de6563598fe791.jpg

 

Now it's just a matter of boarding up a few windows, adding some damage, and painting it up. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Rat13
      Recently Black Magic Craft on YouTube made some Underdark terrain using foamcore. I thought it was a very neat idea but I honestly didn't expect to ever make any, I guess my wife had other ideas though. 
       
      This year she made goodie bags for the trick or treaters but since neither one of us would be home to actually give out the candy she made a sign with the typical "happy Halloween please take one" instructions. To my surprise this actually worked very well, though admittedly I'm not sure if that's because kids are better than when I was young or the low number of trick or treaters we get. As we were cleaning up that's when I noticed that she had made her sign out of dollar store foamcore. Apparently that's just the coincidental push I needed to make some cavernous scatter terrain of my own. 
       
      I'd reccomend watching Black Magic Craft's actual build first as it's a great video. Plus I really only intend to give an overview of the build and the mistakes I made trying to replicate his pieces rather than the actual steps.
       
      After cutting and hot gluing all the pieces together I was feeling pretty confident, they didn't look too bad either.

       
      Unfortunately I left a ton of brushstrokes on the pieces when I sealed them.

       
      Everything looked a bit better after I applied some brown paint however.

       
      My wash was just too strong though and I basically brought everything back to the orginal black.

       
      So I once again painted them brown.

       
      I thinned down my wash and also used less of it which worked pretty well. I drybrushed everything with a lighter brown and they look pretty good. I can definitely still see a ton of brushstrokes on the pieces but they almost work in their favor, adding a bit of texture to everything.

       
      I definitely made some mistakes on this project but I'm really glad I gave it a try. My pieces aren't as nice and polished as a Pro builder but I certainly think they're passable. Plus once you add miniatures they look way better.

  • Who's Online   25 Members, 1 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...