Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Deadmen Tell No Tales

I got my Mega Bundle for ReaperCon a few days ago.  I was floored by the resin sculpt by Jason Weibe (@GwydionGreen), Dead Men Tell No Tales.  I knew immediately that I wanted to paint it; I didn't know though that I wanted to paint it immediately, but I guess I did, as I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Originally, I was going to do it as a challenge, where-by I could only use the paints included in the Mega Bundle...but I have had a change of heart.  I had started doing just this, but the lack of yellow choices (Rattlesnake Leather was it) really limited what I could do with mixing, and this is too nice of a sculpt to give it anything but my best.

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.

I started by cleaning everything and removing the mold lines. The boat was pretty bad and I was forced to remove some of the runes and make it look like weathering to get the mold lines off.  The rest was really good though.

IMG_E6306.JPG.f9a0cec629c738576e39a0792f41ce6f.JPG

Then I primed and started painting.  I primed it with Army Painter White.  It went on a bit grainy.  Maybe my can is getting old.  At first, I didn't think it was too bad, but after painting the stone of the throne and the wood of the ship, I got really discouraged.  The paint wasn't adhering to the primer right; it was like painting unwashed Bones with diluted paint.  It took me an hour just to paint what you see here.  Second, the rough texture was really showing up.

IMG_E6308.JPG.f74c3be6f2211525b1321f8aec4b4138.JPGIMG_E6309.JPG.4b2d97b60d01c0295ad12fe9c11f813f.JPG

So, right now it is soaking in the Simple Green.  I hope to get that primer off and try again tonight.

Andy

• Like 18

I'm more than ever convinced that that primer is bad.  After only 2 hours in the Simple Green, the MSP paint just fell off the primer.  I had a huge issue getting it on, and it really didn't stick.  Essentially the primer is doing the opposite of what a primer is supposed to do.  Unfortunately, it appears to be sticking to the resin very well.  I'm very discouraged at this point.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with that primer. Do you have access to any isopropyl alcohol at all? I know someone who used it to strip some second hand Forgeworld resin fairly successfully. You don't need to soak it too long either, I think he checked it every 5 minutes.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with that primer. Do you have access to any isopropyl alcohol at all? I know someone who used it to strip some second hand Forgeworld resin fairly successfully. You don't need to soak it too long either, I think he checked it every 5 minutes.

Yeah, I buy it by the gallon for 3D Printing clean up. I'll throw them in my wash tank and see if that works.  The Simple green isn't even touching the primer.  Thank you very much!

• Like 6

WOW, did that work well!  I ran it through 2, 6 minute cycles in isopropyl in my AnyCubic Wash and Cure station.  About 90% of the primer came off with just a tooth brush. It was just sloughing off.  No damage at all to the resin.  I have it in another cycle to loosen up the remaining areas now.

Again, thank you @Kuroneko; you saved my project.

• Like 11

For figures that have rough surfaces I often use one or more coats of brush on sealer. It's especially good for smoothing skin.  It won't cover most mold lines, but it will help with that cast metal pockmarked surface and "wrinkles" from resin pour. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

WOW, did that work well!  I ran it through 2, 6 minute cycles in isopropyl in my AnyCubic Wash and Cure station.  About 90% of the primer came off with just a tooth brush. It was just sloughing off.  No damage at all to the resin.  I have it in another cycle to loosen up the remaining areas now.

Again, thank you @Kuroneko; you saved my project.

Awesome! Glad I could help ^_^

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Alright, back to square one; all primer is gone.  That worked really well. Now I just have to figure out how to prime it.  I have some older Reaper brush on primer, but I think it has settled out pretty badly.  I have some new on order, but really do want to get started tonight.  I also have Badger Stynylrez, which I have heard is awesome.  I have never tried it, but many swear by it.  The only problem is that all I have are sample bottles of burnt orange and olive; that said I tried mixing those two together and they made a nice medium brown, so I think I'll try that in the old Patriot tonight.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Alright, back to square one; all primer is gone.  That worked really well. Now I just have to figure out how to prime it.  I have some older Reaper brush on primer, but I think it has settled out pretty badly.  I have some new on order, but really do want to get started tonight.  I also have Badger Stynylrez, which I have heard is awesome.  I have never tried it, but many swear by it.  The only problem is that all I have are sample bottles of burnt orange and olive; that said I tried mixing those two together and they made a nice medium brown, so I think I'll try that in the old Patriot tonight.

Reaper Brown Liner will prime resin just fine, just so you know.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's always a bummer when something isn't primed well, especially when you've already started painting. I'm glad you were able to get it figured out, 'cause I want to see that thing painted! :lol:

Edited by AussieAusborn
purps
  • Like 4

Alright, I'm all caught up.  I finished cleaning it last night, then took @Glitterwolf's advice and primed it with Brown Liner using my airbrush.  After that, I base coated the stone parts of the throne in Gug Umber.

IMG_E6310.JPG.250b276b56b1801ebd1604e4a3fd425f.JPG IMG_E6311.JPG.b718ad2ce5182173d801ab8db2755f46.JPG 

Oh, and I am using this old throne as a reference for the stone:

sculpture; throne | British Museum

For the boat, it doesn't need further base coating, as Brown Liner will be it's shadow anyway.  I started highlighting the planks using Woodstain Brown.  I am struggling to decide what to do with the rune covered keel and gunnels. Are they metal, the same wood as the rest, and different wood?  I'm not sure what to do with them

IMG_E6312.JPG.869bab4dd29f610fe164cbbeca6d993d.JPGIMG_E6313.JPG.115ed11ade17a4a3d2a6428084a28d15.JPG

• Like 16

I did the main phase highlighting on the wood parts of the boat.  A little rough in places, but I'll clean it all up once I get everything more together later.
IMG_E6322.JPG.23638c62275ff72c7e4e22f522d9ae82.JPGIMG_E6323.JPG.52c3e17674112b0208f9ba6d316e667d.JPG

• Like 11