It has been a while since I posted. Yes, I am still alive. Joining this forum suddenly got me curious about the contents my non-Games Workshop portion of the mini collection...

After a light analysis of the situation, I have determined that:

1) I have a lot of minis,

2) I still want a lot of minis,

3) I can never have too many minis

Am I a crazy miniature monster?

My best guess at collector/hoarder levels are:

1) Regular Normie (non gamer) - 5 figures. A wizard, a bikini babe, a couple of dragons, and a fighter all accessorized with prismatic crystals, usually au natural (aka not painted).

"I think wizards, dragons and gothic babes are way cool. Shiny!"

2) Gamer - 10 to 30 figures. A mix of characters they play in campaigns, plus the assortment Regular Normie figures. Most figures are unpainted, or basically painted. Only the couple of favourites have good paint jobs.

"I have a half-giant barbarian figure in my gaming box. That's what I'm gonna play."

3) Dungeon Master - 25 to 150 figures. Mostly a large collection of monsters. All figures are at least primed, most figures are nicely painted.

"Check out my new monster mini! New character sheets, anyone?"

4) Professional etsy/ebay'er Painter - 50 to 200 figures.  Maybe 15 to 50 of them are in the growing "permanent" collection, with the rest listed online or in process of being prepped and painted.

"Paint to fund my mini habit." 

5) Gaming Otaku - 100 to 300 figures. A whole spectrum of figures in a whole range of poses. Almost all figures are well painted, except for the proudly displayed sealed box sets or blister packs.

"Mint, New in package is the best. Professionally painted, carefully displayed in a plastic case is great too. Look at, but don't touch my minis."

5) RPG Geek - 200 to 700 figures. Mix of metal, resin, and plastic prepainted minis to cover both DM/GM'ing and playing. Most minis will have some level paint job.

"Got to have enough minis to cover all the bases!"

6) Hobbist Painter, Avid Gamer - More than 500, but hopefully less than 1000... Collects minis as they are needed for gaming sessions. Favorites are expertly painted. Others are painted as needed.

"Painting is fun. I love playing with my minis. Wana play tonight?!!"

7) Crazy Minis Monster - 1000 +... (full quantity will never be known) Lots and lots of minis in various stages of prepping and painting. A mini hospital storage box is around somewhere with rescued minis needing replacement parts and minor surgeries.

"Not quit sure how many... Yeah, more than a 1000. But the battle minis and the pre-painted plastic ones don't count. And I did not count the ones that are on display either. Oh, and the oversized and demo minis are in a totally different category."

Edited by Otyugh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

I guess 1,000 might seem like a lot... I have well over 2,000 (really really need to update my tracking sheet) and I know my collection is tiny as compared to some around here.

• Like 11

I wonder about that sometimes.

I have a great many old Grenadier minis that I started out with more than forty years ago, and others I've bought to replace my losses.

I have cats, so I collect plastic buckets that cat litter came in; they're handy waterproof stackable storage containers.

I have several large plastic buckets of HeroClix, HorrorClix, Mage Knight, and other minis I've gone on kicks of. Got a hefty box of World of Warcraft collectible minis. At least two buckets of D&D prepaints. At least one bucket of 54mm figures I'll get around to someday, or blow a child's mind with at some point.

The Reapers and DarkSwords and Magnificent Egos and Hasslefrees and Copplestones and Twisted Dice and Northumberland Tin Soldiers fill a number of display cases and shadow boxes scattered around my home, as well as several shelves. The top of my workbench is loaded with the ones I've finished painting. And I'm far from finished. Hell, I'm still trying to finish my original Vampire Box from the first Reaper kickstarter.

And that's not even counting a number of boardgames I bought mainly for the miniatures.

When I cross the Rainbow Bridge, some local gaming group is going to find themselves faced with an utter bonanza.

Still say it's a better vice than opiates or strong drink.

• Like 15

1) I have a lot of minis,

2) I still want a lot of minis,

3) I can never have too many minis

yes.

yes. 

yes. 

the other points. 

Nope.  we all have 20 minis (using goblin math.)  we all want 20 more.  then we will each have 20. 

A lot of mine are painted, at least 20. 

IME anyone who sells minis or works on commission? also has 20 minis, that are unpainted & a similar amount that they have kept for themselves. 

we actually divided the forum into houses:  eventually it got too silly, glitter was involved and it faded away/got banned 

People who mostly play

People who mostly collect

People who like to Convert 

People who always mean to do  all of the above  but procrastinate alot 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 10
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

People who always mean to do  all of the above  but procrastinate alot 

I never did get around to joining that group...

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

I am not even counting my plastic wotc minis, heroclix, or other non RPG gaming minis. Currently guesstimating around 1500 small figures, 500 large. Grenadier, wotc, Pinnacle, Ral Partha, Reaper, HHG, RAFM, Citadel, Heritage, Hobby Products, etc.

I have been gathering and consolidating the collection in one area, and it is amazing just how much stuff I have been digging out of dark dank cubbies. I even found an unopened second copy of GW Gorkamorka! (more points for my armies) Gotta luv dem orks & gobbos.

• Like 5

We have over 10k last time I checked my spreadsheet...  and that did not include the board games we bought for the minis, or Bones 5.

• Like 13

From the first four Bones KS campaigns and about thirty other KS miniature campaigns, I estimate I have over 2000-2500 miniatures. Counting the unprinted 3D models I own, and the eventual Bones 5 KS completion, and all the other minis I purchased over the years since the 90s, it's well over 3000-3500!

How many have I painted?

[cough] That's not important right now.

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

Who does not have a bunch of bare metal unprepped, unprimered minis shoved in a dark corner?

I have a ton of West End Games Star Wars figures that are still naked with flashing...(we have not gotten around to playing the Star Wars RPG yet).

I think at last count, I have 300 to 400 of the figures in the collection painted. Most of the rest have had the flashing removed, been sanded and primed.

Edited by Otyugh
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Otyugh said:

7) Crazy Minis Monster - 1000 +... (full quantity will never be known) Lots and lots of minis in various stages of prepping and painting. A mini hospital storage box is around somewhere with rescued minis needing replacement parts and minor surgeries.

If that's your criteria, then monsters really do exist, cuz you are on a forum inhabited by them. I'd hazard a guess that 90-95% of the active forum members fall into this category. I've lost track of the actual number I have, I just know whether or not I have a particular mini or not when I see it.

45 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Still say it's a better vice than opiates or strong drink.

Both are addictive... both can drain your wallet... both can ruin relationships... I don't need a prescription from my doctor to get more minis... it has yet to make the news if anyone has died from a mini overdose though, or that there is a mini problem in communities throughout the country... and excessive consumption of minis won't lead to constipation or liver failure or shallow respiration...

Yeah, I'd say your statement is valid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

It ought to.

I'm just starting a spread sheet, and although I'm pretty sure I'm in close to 1k, if not well over (thank you, Bones Kickstarters. No, really), I've only managed to catalogue about 378 .. so far.

That's.. just in blisters, doesn't count all the Kickstarter'd .. stuff, of which there is lots (oops). 

• Like 11

The problem is that fantasy gamers are pure amateurs compared to historical gamers. For example I am an old Napoleonic gamer, plus ACW and WWII in 15mm. For those periods, in that scale, I have painted approximately 15,000 15mm miniatures. I literally have no idea how many 28mm miniatures I have painted for fantasy and historical miniatures but it’s certainly in excess of 1000. The unpainted hordes are unnumbered at this point but probably exceed 2000 without really thinking about it.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Heisler said:

The problem is that fantasy gamers are pure amateurs compared to historical gamers. For example I am an old Napoleonic gamer, plus ACW and WWII in 15mm. For those periods, in that scale, I have painted approximately 15,000 15mm miniatures. I literally have no idea how many 28mm miniatures I have painted for fantasy and historical miniatures but it’s certainly in excess of 1000. The unpainted hordes are unnumbered at this point but probably exceed 2000 without really thinking about it.

Yes, miniatures wargamers are a separate breed, and painting hundreds or thousands of figures for a single period/project is not unheard of.  And smaller scales, like 15mm, 10mm and 6mm, multiply really quickly.   I've done WWII, Medieval, SYW, ACW, and Fantasy armies in 10mm, and with 10-20 figures on a stand, the numbers add up quick.   

IMG_8522.JPG

And like others here, this is my 5th Bones Kickstarter, so my painted 28mm Fantasy figures have piled up quickly as well since Bones 1;  and that's above the 28mm historical, fantasy and sci-fi armies.  

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Otyugh said:

5) RPG Geek - 200 to 700 figures. Mix of metal, resin, and plastic prepainted minis to cover both DM/GM'ing and playing. Most minis will have some level paint job.

"Got to have enough minis to cover all the bases!"

6) Hobbist Painter, Avid Gamer - More than 500, but hopefully less than 1000... Collects minis as they are needed for gaming sessions. Favorites are expertly painted. Others are painted as needed.

"Painting is fun. I love playing with my minis. Wana play tonight?!!"

I have over 600 painted, not counting what's in the 5x 3-layer Reaper cases from the kickstarter.  I have no idea how many are unpainted... 

1 hour ago, Otyugh said:

Who does not have a bunch of bare metal unprepped, unprimered minis shoved in a dark corner

I don't.  My bare metal, unprepped, unprimered minis are all very well lit with the new lighting we had installed in the basement hobby room this spring. 

45 minutes ago, Heisler said:

The problem is that fantasy gamers are pure amateurs compared to historical gamers.

Oh, I forgot to count the armies.....

• Like 9
  • Haha 5