As an aside, we once (in 2009) pooled the club collections of those 40mm figures and staged a refight of the battle of Lobositz (1756, as I recall, during the Seven Years War), and had just over a thousand of the 40s committed to the action at some point.

1BA4F39F-A199-4217-A654-55B073332CF1.thumb.jpeg.189310a9b524c39f0ef093c1ba025db8.jpeg

3 hours ago, Otyugh said:

Nice dungeon lair. (Taking notes... *drool* ...intense feelings of envy)

I wanna come over and play too!:winkthumbs:

Well, if you are somewhere between Philadelphia and Washington DC, something might be doable after the plague...

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 14
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you feel the urge to acquire more miniatures, even though you have many unpainted figures? Are you running out of clever ways to store your miniatures? Is your SO giving you the stink eye whenever

Yes, you might want to scale up those numbers a bit...   Here are two of (19 of) my fantasy mass battles boxes opened up for a quick photo inventory I did a couple of months ago.  

The problem is that fantasy gamers are pure amateurs compared to historical gamers. For example I am an old Napoleonic gamer, plus ACW and WWII in 15mm. For those periods, in that scale, I have painte

Posted Images

this all doesn't reflect the higher scale stuff, I have well over 4500 units for 1/285 scale armor (they fit very nicely in their 1980 IC chip boxes thank you ::D:.  These are all painted to at least basic tabletop.

bones 1-4 brought huge quantities to my storage,

I have close to 500 miniatures on display. and at least 4 armies in boxes. 

we won't discuss the other uncatalogued metal in the house..

So... yeah, 20 miniatures about covers it!

• Like 10
  • Haha 6

According to my spreadsheet, if I painted a mini every day, I have enough minis to paint for almost 10 years, and this doesn't include my BattleTech minis or terrain pieces.  Note that this count doesn't take size into account, so a mini could be anywhere from the size of a Ral Partha halfling mini (so tiny) to Baba Yaga's Hut (and even larger!).

Clearly, I need to:

• Paint more.
  • Plan better so I can paint minis simultaneously.
  • Like 17
2 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

According to my spreadsheet, if I painted a mini every day, I have enough minis to paint for almost 10 years, and this doesn't include my BattleTech minis or terrain pieces.  Note that this count doesn't take size into account, so a mini could be anywhere from the size of a Ral Partha halfling mini (so tiny) to Baba Yaga's Hut (and even larger!).

Clearly, I need to:

• Paint more.
  • Plan better so I can paint minis simultaneously.

I think your priorities need reassessing.

If you have enough miniatures to paint only one mini every day for only 10 years then you obviously don't have enough ::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Looking at my "Selling Out" document, at a rough count I've sold off somewhere just under 740 figures, including stuff in box sets and dragons, metal and Bones...

I also gave away some 200 or so Bones to various folks, and donated my collection of around 400 of the official D&D plastic prepaints to my FLGS.

Looking around my computer and painting desks, I'd roughly eyeball it at about 300 minis just laying around everywhere that I can see from where I'm sitting, lol, and probably another 400-500 tucked away in cases...

Bones V will add maybe another 250 to that count.

I'm such an underachiever, lol.

::D:

On the other hand I believe Egg of Coot has basically the entire run of Reaper Dark Heaven miniatures...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 12

I have... I have, uh......THIS MANY. *stretches hands as far apart as they'll go*

That's about how many paints I have too, except maybe closer to like... *moves hands in about an inch*...yeah, about there. 

::D:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

Do you feel the urge to acquire more miniatures, even though you have many unpainted figures? Are you running out of clever ways to store your miniatures? Is your SO giving you the stink eye whenever you receive a new package in the mail?

Worry not! You suffer from Figmentia, a totally treatable condition. Just join us on the Reaper Miniatures Forum, where we will help* you beat this condition!

*by help we mean enable your purchasing habits, exposing you to dangerous levels of collectible minis and paints. User beware!

• Like 2
  • Haha 16
1 minute ago, redambrosia said:

Do you feel the urge to acquire more miniatures, even though you have many unpainted figures? Are you running out of clever ways to store your miniatures? Is your SO giving you the stink eye whenever you receive a new package in the mail?

Worry not! You suffer from Figmentia, a totally treatable condition. Just join us on the Reaper Miniatures Forum, where we will help* you beat this condition!

*by help we mean enable your purchasing habits, exposing you to dangerous levels of collectible minis and paints. User beware!

Truth. You guys are an.. influence. >.>

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

One additional lamentation.  I showed my painted miniatures shelves, and, apart from the “sliding squares puzzle” aspect of getting a box out of the bottom of a stack, I can find most of my painted minis reasonably easily; the boxes have labels that go at least as deep as the project name (e.g. Not Quite Seven Years War or NQSYW), and sometimes more detailed than that (NQSYW—Schoeffen-Buschhagen—von Nordhafen Regiment ... though you have to remember that the artillery is stowed with the von Nordhafens and the sappers and converged grenadiers are stowed with the Schultheiss regiment...).  For vintage fantasy, unstarted figures are supposed to be bagged and tagged and stowed in trading card boxes by manufacturer catalog number (thank you Lost Minis Wiki).  

But...things that are started and not finished quickly have a tendency to end up in boxes with, at best, labels like “painting in progress”, and finding something when I’m ready to proceed can be an ordeal of opening every box.  

98E74D58-C4A2-42F8-85BF-199DFDEDC900.thumb.jpeg.33565540648ff36e1c463f2620c45d1d.jpeg

Things can languish in that condition for, um, an extended period.  @72moonglum recently noted that he wanted an old ‘90s Grenadier pack of a pair of centaur dancing girls; I painted one when they were new; her sister has been pending there for 20 years.  I’ve got a stick of Foundry Normans (originally sold as some sort of WHFB faction, but really historical) at my desk at work, primed up right after I got them in ~’97, but with three of the five figures left to go.  I painted one in an idle lunch period last year.  I’m not sure what my record is ...

• Like 16
1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

One additional lamentation.  I showed my painted miniatures shelves, and, apart from the “sliding squares puzzle” aspect of getting a box out of the bottom of a stack, I can find most of my painted minis reasonably easily; the boxes have labels that go at least as deep as the project name (e.g. Not Quite Seven Years War or NQSYW), and sometimes more detailed than that (NQSYW—Schoeffen-Buschhagen—von Nordhafen Regiment ... though you have to remember that the artillery is stowed with the von Nordhafens and the sappers and converged grenadiers are stowed with the Schultheiss regiment...).  For vintage fantasy, unstarted figures are supposed to be bagged and tagged and stowed in trading card boxes by manufacturer catalog number (thank you Lost Minis Wiki).  

But...things that are started and not finished quickly have a tendency to end up in boxes with, at best, labels like “painting in progress”, and finding something when I’m ready to proceed can be an ordeal of opening every box.  

98E74D58-C4A2-42F8-85BF-199DFDEDC900.thumb.jpeg.33565540648ff36e1c463f2620c45d1d.jpeg

Things can languish in that condition for, um, an extended period.  @72moonglum recently noted that he wanted an old ‘90s Grenadier pack of a pair of centaur dancing girls; I painted one when they were new; her sister has been pending there for 20 years.  I’ve got a stick of Foundry Normans (originally sold as some sort of WHFB faction, but really historical) at my desk at work, primed up right after I got them in ~’97, but with three of the five figures left to go.  I painted one in an idle lunch period last year.  I’m not sure what my record is ...

That's funny and I know how it feels, even though not quite to that extent.  I started painting the Grenadier Frost Giant set, have the female finished for over two years, but the male is sitting half done in a case just waiting for some attention.

• Like 13

This thread made me curious about how many miniatures I have around here. So last night I did a quick estimate and figured that I have around 750 unpainted miniatures in a variety of sizes, materials and company origin. That's down from an estimate of around 830 unpainted at the beginning of the year - which means I'm currently adding minis slower than I am painting them (I can feel my life force slipping away). Going to have to do something about that.

On the painted side it looks like I'm somewhere around 1350 painted minis in my collection. That doesn't count the 50 or so mouslings and other cute critters my wife has on her WFH desk, or anything I've given away or sold in the last year. I'm kind of surprised by that number. I've only been back to painting since shortly before the Bones 2 campaign started delivery and around 95% of the stuff I painted a long time ago is gone. Of course, none of this counts board game minis.

Looking at these numbers I have two observations. First, I'm thinking that Bones 5 can't get here fast enough. Secondly, my wife really is the best for never complaining about my hobby or how much space it takes up.

• Like 10