I have....many.  Enough that I don't want to spend the amount of time that it would take to quantify them.  Between the Bones and Wizkids minis (and a number to GW and other brand box sets) I think that the plastics have finally out numbered the metals.  Unless I count all of the bit from RCon shopping as their own metal minis ( have like something like 50 cats alone).

• Like 9
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you feel the urge to acquire more miniatures, even though you have many unpainted figures? Are you running out of clever ways to store your miniatures? Is your SO giving you the stink eye whenever

Yes, you might want to scale up those numbers a bit...   Here are two of (19 of) my fantasy mass battles boxes opened up for a quick photo inventory I did a couple of months ago.  

The problem is that fantasy gamers are pure amateurs compared to historical gamers. For example I am an old Napoleonic gamer, plus ACW and WWII in 15mm. For those periods, in that scale, I have painte

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Of course they do!

Oh no! I'll have to deal with fractions. 300+ left arms cause most of the right arms were taken. Reapercon melt table problems. I'm prepping for next time. Hunt for right arms at the melt table. Muahahha.

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

Since this thread came up I decided that I needed a better count of my actual unpainted minis. 

time to do some spreadsheets! 

Today I tackled " The Box of No Return"  where I stash all my non-bones miniatures, that I have gotten from a variety of sources.

its called that because I mostly buy a few figures at a time, or half-a-dozen from small kickstarters. If they don't get painted immediately then the tend to fall to the back of the painting Que. 

It does not include box sets of plastic armies. ie Games Workshop or Kingdom Death stuff  (will count these next) 

104 non-bones mins, 77 in metal. 

my unpainted bones, are at least twice that, but scattered.  

it is a small collection as things go here. 

its really the 600 painted figures from finishing the first 3 bones Kickstarter core sets that dominate my collection.  

I don't have a count of the non-bones stuff i have finished. that is a project for another time. 

Un-painted update 2

156 non-bones 

293 Bones 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 12
On 8/29/2020 at 2:31 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I have....many.  Enough that I don't want to spend the amount of time that it would take to quantify them.  Between the Bones and Wizkids minis (and a number to GW and other brand box sets) I think that the plastics have finally out numbered the metals.  Unless I count all of the bit from RCon shopping as their own metal minis ( have like something like 50 cats alone).

This is me. I have several fully painted armies of over 200 minis, Several partially painted armies of over 200 minis, about a dozen warbands of 20-30 minis mostly painted, hundreds of random minis and monsters some painted, many not. And that's not really delving into everything from all of the Bones and Mantic KSs or my long untouched 40k collection. I think my painting has about matched my buying but Bones V and Battletech are going to scew that balance soon and I've got a huge backlog. I mean I just dug out my Warhammer Empire army from the mid 90s to finish painting soon... :rolleyes: 

• Like 10

My Reaper Dark Heaven collection alone numbers somewhere around 1650 figs.  I don't even want to think about how many Bones pieces I have from five Kickstarters.  Then there is everything else from my 35 years of gaming in my stash . . .

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot
  • Like 10
On 8/27/2020 at 6:36 AM, Rob Dean said:

...I’ve got a stick of Foundry Normans (originally sold as some sort of WHFB faction, but really historical) at my desk at work, primed up right after I got them in ~’97, but with three of the five figures left to go.  I painted one in an idle lunch period last year.  I’m not sure what my record is ...

Speaking upthread of things that had been sitting around for a while, I mentioned the Normans at my desk.  I found a picture in a thread from 2018:

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/80279-feeling-old-today/

• Like 8
On 9/1/2020 at 1:55 PM, Evilhalfling said:

Since this thread came up I decided that I needed a better count of my actual unpainted minis. 

time to do some spreadsheets! 

Today I tackled " The Box of No Return"  where I stash all my non-bones miniatures, that I have gotten from a variety of sources.

its called that because I mostly buy a few figures at a time, or half-a-dozen from small kickstarters. If they don't get painted immediately then the tend to fall to the back of the painting Que. 

It does not include box sets of plastic armies. ie Games Workshop or Kingdom Death stuff  (will count these next) 

104 non-bones mins, 77 in metal. 

my unpainted bones, are at least twice that, but scattered.  

it is a small collection as things go here. 

its really the 600 painted figures from finishing the first 3 bones Kickstarter core sets that dominate my collection.  

I don't have a count of the non-bones stuff i have finished. that is a project for another time. 

Un-painted update 2

156 non-bones 

293 Bones 

Oh, that's a potentially quick path to insanity.  Inspired by a basement remodel at the beginning of the year, I started to take stock of my mountain of lead and plastic.  I counted a (conservative) 50 game systems and/or scales (ie, I have ACW models in both 15mm and 28mm).  I was trying to keep track of NIB vs assembled vs primed vs finished & based, but stopped after I passed the 500 model mark, and still hadn't gone beyond a couple of the less mini-intensive games.    (I was going to resume once the kids went back to school, but that's not happening anytime soon.  I might count up all my Bones minis this weekend though - which should be easy, since almost all of them are still untouched.)

• Like 7

I think I check in some between 20 (800) and 20 (1000). Painted to unpainted ratio is technically high, but only because I'm in the middle of simple greening my old Battlemaster/Heroquest/old Undead army/warhammer 4th ed goblins/gorkamorka/box of dark elves/misc Dark World and other minis for repainting. Unpainted Reaper and Wizkids number around 200-300 and still fit comfortably in two boxes and thumbtacked to the walls are maybe 40-50...then there's the box of unpainted GW dwarves, two boxes of Oathmark Dwarves, and the contents of the Pike&Shotte starter, the unpainted GW Lord of the Rings stuff...

I'm in the relative sweet spot where I can play fast and dangerous with Figmentian Immortality. In theory I can probably paint/repaint everything I have in 2-3 years if I put in hours like a part time job....and I do intent to eventually paint everything save the handful of Reaper 25th Anniversary minis and Ghoulie bag stuff....but seeing as how my painting pace tends more towards the glacial, I think I have about 5-10 years before having to worry about immortality issues.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

Seriously, this thread has me considering going full Marie Kondo on my lead/pewter/plastic mountain...

I didn’t quite do that yet, but I eliminated several armies and probably half a dozen game systems from the shelf earlier this year.  (Technically, they’re still in the house, because the cons and game store auctions I’d normally use to get rid of them got cancelled, so the pile is taking some time to shrink)

• Like 9
On 8/25/2020 at 6:46 PM, ManvsMini said:

Both are addictive... both can drain your wallet... both can ruin relationships... I don't need a prescription from my doctor to get more minis... it has yet to make the news if anyone has died from a mini overdose though, or that there is a mini problem in communities throughout the country... and excessive consumption of minis won't lead to constipation or liver failure or shallow respiration...

Yeah, I'd say your statement is valid.

Being crushed to death under an avalanche of the lead/plastic mountain is a concern, though.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:27 PM, Otyugh said:

... Need to add another collector/hoarder level.

8) Mad half blind deity of metal, plastic and resin lilliputians - 5000 +. Over 50% painted, has a dedicated well lit space to paint in, nice foam lined storage cases containing the minis, and a couple of shelving units dedicated for miniatures and painting supplies. Half blindness, fatigue and madness are badges earned from painting a few thousand minis. The deity does not discriminate, and welcomes minis of all shapes, sizes, materials,and genres.

I've got the numbers, but not the rest of the description/definition.

On 8/27/2020 at 10:37 AM, Rob Dean said:

You’re not really addicted to boxes until you are ordering directly from the Really Useful Boxes web store, because they have sizes that Staples doesn’t carry....

That's good to know...

I have 19 of the 80 figure Chessex figure cases full; that's 1520 right there. I went in pretty heavily on all 5 Bones Kickstarters, I have quite an unhealthy amount of GW figures for 6 different armies in WH40k and 5 different armies in WH Fantasy, 2 storage tubs full of old Grenadier and Ral Partha boxed sets, a fair amount of old Battletech stuff, and a random assortment of oddball scales, genres, etc. that I thought might be a fun thing to paint.

I'm not including all the Mage Knight and D&D PPM stuff in this total, cause even though they're painted, they need to be repainted by me.

Plus terrain.

Plus enough stuff to make a sizable model train layout.

Plus plastic models of everything from WW1 to the current day.

Now that I really think about it, I need another house. 1 to live in, 1 for my hobby stuff to live in.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5
3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

Seriously, this thread has me considering going full Marie Kondo on my lead/pewter/plastic mountain...

I've been slowly building up to selling off a bunch of the GW stuff I'm never going to assemble, prime, or paint... Which is an eerily large amount for me, but part of it too is also the realization that if I played my cards right I could get my airbrush setup a lot faster, and probably a few other things too... 

Much as I loved WHFB and 40k, and had intended on getting back into both, I'm so heavy into Infinity and loving it that I almost never even think to look at my GW minis, let alone desire to paint them. 

It's just building up the courage to look through what I've got, catalogue it all, and then actually start soliciting the sales (that and figure out where to put them up for sale) 

• Like 7