24 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I have fewer than I thought <_<

Could have sworn I own a Bones cloud giant but I can't find it in the Bones Crate so I guess I don't have one.

Or they're starting to come to life and wander around on their own...

Don't panic, though; if you've been nice to your minis this won't be a problem. If, on the other hand, you tend to chop them up and Frankenstein them back together in different ways you may be in troublllllllll

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It's just building up the courage to look through what I've got, catalogue it all, and then actually start soliciting the sales (that and figure out where to put them up for sale) 

I understand. EBay isn’t my favorite, although I have used it.  Usually I put things out on the flea market table at my club’s local convention, but it’s been cancelled for this year.  I did a private sale of ~300 colonial figures recently to another club member, but that sort of thing won’t help you unless you have a club... 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

I understand. EBay isn’t my favorite, although I have used it.  Usually I put things out on the flea market table at my club’s local convention, but it’s been cancelled for this year.  I did a private sale of ~300 colonial figures recently to another club member, but that sort of thing won’t help you unless you have a club... 

I'm sure if I asked at a few shops, something could come of it, or at least a lead or two.  Some things won't sell all that well (I have a BattleFleetGothic set where they forgot one set of weapon sprues), others may or may not. I know the Space Marines probably could be cleared out easily at a decent enough price. 

• Like 6

As I mentioned above, over the years I've sold off or given away massive chunks of my collection - usually when I've been unemployed. (Before my current job there were a couple years there when I was collecting more unemployment than paychecks.)

Noble Knight Games got a lot of it, including my copy of the Ral Partha 54mm Larry Elmore Journey to the Gathering - which I actually managed to buy back from them later on, lol.

• Like 6

On 9/5/2020 at 5:53 AM, Rob Dean said:

Seriously, this thread has me considering going full Marie Kondo on my lead/pewter/plastic mountain...

I'm not good at letting them go.  Bones KS's aside, I acquire minis slowly, and by the time I have committed to buying one, I don't want to admit I was wrong and that it will never be painted or enjoyed.  If it came to me as part of a big package, or Good will box, I'm less attached. 

I'm sure there is a name for this - perhaps sunk costs fallacy  or cognitive disconance,.   I have sold a few minis - and some of those I obtained new copies of afterward. 

I can no more weed out my books or old D&D binders.  

at least I can throw away still pizza boxes, some clothes and kids artwork.  

• Like 9

I have begun running a D&D game for the kids I teach, and had to hunt up the minis necessary for the adventure in the D&D Essentials Kit.

And so in the evening's cool breeze, out on the deck, I commented to She Who Dances With Mouselings that I'd had to go out in the garage to dig out some orcs.

She did not ask if I had enough orcs. She simply asked if I'd been able to lay hands on them.

I said, "Yeah, I just dug a handful out of the Orc Drawer."

She did not laugh. But her smile was somehow worse. Other husbands have the Bolt Drawers, the Screw Drawers, the Nail Drawers, the Washer Drawers...

I have the Orc Drawer, and its companions, the Skeleton Drawer, the Goblin Drawer, the Gnoll Drawer.....

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 10
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I have begun running a D&D game for the kids I teach, and had to hunt up the minis necessary for the adventure in the D&D Essentials Kit.

And so in the evening's cool breeze, out on the deck, I commented to She Who Dances With Mouselings that I'd had to go out in the garage to dig out some orcs.

She did not ask if I had enough orcs. She simply asked if I'd been able to lay hands on them.

She did not laugh. But her smile was somehow worse. Other husbands have the Bolt Drawers, the Screw Drawers, the Nail Drawers, the Washer Drawers...

I have the Orc Drawer, and its companions, the Skeleton Drawer, the Goblin Drawer, the Gnoll Drawer.....

One of the things that I miss about a face to face after school game is letting kids pick their mini from the box of Bones.

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I have drawers and shelves full of blisters and boxes.

Inside there are plastic containers labeled:

• Ghotic Undead
  • Egyptian / Desert Theme
  • Aztec/Conquistadore/Reptiles
  • Horde of the North
  • Nippon/Cathay/Asian
  • Bits and animals

Everything not related to these projects is loose in those drawers and shelves..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9

For those of you with large collections in roleplaying game terms, how are you keeping track of what is painted? I do not have enough painted for each category to have its own box; however, I forget that some of the minis used infrequently are already painted. I have seen some people use spreadsheets, do people use databases, or specialty programs?

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have drawers and shelves full of blisters and boxes.

Inside there are plastic containers labeled:

• Ghotic Undead
  • Egyptian / Desert Theme
  • Aztec/Conquistadore/Reptiles
  • Horde of the North
  • Nippon/Cathay/Asian
  • Bits and animals

Everything not related to these projects is loose in those drawers and shelves..

Well, yeah.

Among the other drawers are:

*Insect Swarms
*Angry Vegetables
*Daleks
*Modern Zombies
*Islamic Jihad
*Cartoon People

The list goes on and on.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Naulren said:

For those of you with large collections in roleplaying game terms, how are you keeping track of what is painted? I do not have enough painted for each category to have its own box; however, I forget that some of the minis used infrequently are already painted. I have seen some people use spreadsheets, do people use databases, or specialty programs?

I use a Google sheet, with formulas.  I used to have it in an Access database I created myself, but when Microsoft decided to charge me a yearly fee, I said @#$$ no and just ported all my data to a plain spreadsheet.  Yeah I know, I am an engineering nerd...

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Naulren said:

Memory - but then I'm a wargamer so it's just a matter of remembering which box it's in...

But as a tech solution I'd go with a Google sheet - trick is remembering to keep it updated.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

But as a tech solution I'd go with a Google sheet - trick is remembering to keep it updated.

That was my problem.  I had an up to date spreadsheet.....pre-kickstarters......now it is hopelessly out of date.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I am currently goofing around with a bunch of database type apps. It is kinda annoying, but I will eventually build something useful.

I have already taken pictures of all the minis that I could easily access, and now I am considering painting minis rather than cataloging the beasts...

I've been trolled! (found the trolls & orcs box)

Grenadier 706b Troll with Sword Julie Guthrie1.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

That was my problem.  I had an up to date spreadsheet.....pre-kickstarters......now it is hopelessly out of date.

And that's my problem as well.  I'm so far behind that I'm basically starting from scratch, and since I easily fall into the 1k+ category, simply counting them and quantifying the collection is a task almost as daunting as painting them.

For now, I am trying to hew to "I can't buy anything new unless I paint an equal number."  In theory, it would eventually reduce the pile of lead, plastic and resin would drop to manageable levels.  In reality, I'm not sure it will happen before Pluto completes its next revolution around the sun.

• Like 5