The Salvage Crew - SF RPG Campaign WIP

oh!  did you actually print one of these out?  I have these plans but havent havent completed the print yet.  (still printing the Slipnir -- 3 decks remaining!)  

I like the concept, lot of opportunity for role play and a good shot at both combat and adventure both in deep space and in port.  If you happened to grab them, Johnny Lauck did a set of 20 salvage crew miniatures -- come to think of it, i need to paint these up for the upcoming stargrave game...

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 1
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Kangaroorex said:

oh!  did you actually print one of these out?  I have these plans, but haven't completed the print yet.  (still printing the Sleipnir -- 3 decks remaining!)  

I like the concept, lot of opportunity for role play and a good shot at both combat and adventure both in deep space and in port.  If you happened to grab them, Johnny Lauck did a set of 20 salvage crew miniatures -- come to think of it, i need to paint these up for the upcoming stargrave game...

No, I haven't printed it out - just way too many things to print for current or near future use. But it is nice knowing what I will be using. This game is a year down the road, at least.

Decided most of the crew will be awake, not in cryosleep - the cryotanks will be for long term injuries. Two will be dedicated medtanks, but the rest will be to keep them until a hospital can be reached. This is my cheat to prevent PCs from being killed off - if the body can be recovered, the PC can be saved... prosthetics as needed can be handled with the medtank.

I may also use a system I had for a steampunk campaign - if a PC would be killed by either massive damage or a critical, they can instead choose to take a permanent wound - losing an arm, a leg, an eye, brain damage, etc.. Being killed by regular cumulative damage is where the cryotank kicks in.

Not terribly surprising, the PCs will be finding an intact, occupied cryotank in a mid season adventure - in an otherwise destroyed ship, with all the rest of the crew massacred. I may watch Alien with Megan as preparation.

Or maybe Lifeforce. ::P: (Teenage me loved that movie. Grownup me remembers exactly why teenage me loved that movie - Mathilda May. ::D: )

I have the original run of the Salvage crew minis - he really raised the prices in that KS. Great figures, but...

They were  part of the inspiration.

I will also need some clunky looking robots - cargo handling, and some combat.

At this point 3D prints are actually more attractive than miniatures - something I did not picture myself saying, even after we got our first 3D printer.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

they come out pretty well,  I know the feeling about having the printer tied up... but mine got free time over the weekend and i printed the entire piece in 23 hours

shuttle.thumb.jpg.fc68cd1557e50b3f066eeb055d017755.jpg

probably not the cleanest print i have ever done but it does the job and gets the point across!  you can make them longer or shorter by adding rear sections to the print.  Overall its a pretty modular shuttle with warp capacity, weapons hardpoints and some cargo stowage.  you can also print it iwith the window shields up (like this one) or with the windows fully open (they expose the entire passenger area, i am printing one of those now)

All in all, a definite thumbs up!

14 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

No, I haven't printed it out - just way too many things to print for current or near future use. But it is nice knowing what I will be using. This game is a year down the road, at least.

Decided most of the crew will be awake, not in cryosleep - the cryotanks will be for long term injuries. Two will be dedicated medtanks, but the rest will be to keep them until a hospital can be reached. This is my cheat to prevent PCs from being killed off - if the body can be recovered, the PC can be saved... prosthetics as needed can be handled with the medtank.

I may also use a system I had for a steampunk campaign - if a PC would be killed by either massive damage or a critical, they can instead choose to take a permanent wound - losing an arm, a leg, an eye, brain damage, etc.. Being killed by regular cumulative damage is where the cryotank kicks in.

Not terribly surprising, the PCs will be finding an intact, occupied cryotank in a mid season adventure - in an otherwise destroyed ship, with all the rest of the crew massacred. I may watch Alien with Megan as preparation.

Or maybe Lifeforce. ::P: (Teenage me loved that movie. Grownup me remembers exactly why teenage me loved that movie - Mathilda May. ::D: )

I have the original run of the Salvage crew minis - he really raised the prices in that KS. Great figures, but...

They were  part of the inspiration.

I will also need some clunky looking robots - cargo handling, and some combat.

At this point 3D prints are actually more attractive than miniatures - something I did not picture myself saying, even after we got our first 3D printer.

The Auld Grump

price for the KS salvage crew minis were about a buck apiece.  that is probably about the cost of the metal that went into them.  Honestly, i bought them with the thought that if i didnt like them, i could trade them at reapercon for reaper minis and clear a pretty good exchange,  if i remember i wound up getting 20  miniatures for 30 bucks.  wasnt a bad cost.  The originals were probably cheaper but, then again, back then so was everything else!::D:

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

they come out pretty well,  I know the feeling about having the printer tied up... but mine got free time over the weekend and i printed the entire piece in 23 hours

shuttle.thumb.jpg.fc68cd1557e50b3f066eeb055d017755.jpg

probably not the cleanest print i have ever done but it does the job and gets the point across!  you can make them longer or shorter by adding rear sections to the print.  Overall its a pretty modular shuttle with warp capacity, weapons hardpoints and some cargo stowage.  you can also print it iwith the window shields up (like this one) or with the windows fully open (they expose the entire passenger area, i am printing one of those now)

All in all, a definite thumbs up!

price for the KS salvage crew minis were about a buck apiece.  that is probably about the cost of the metal that went into them.  Honestly, i bought them with the thought that if i didnt like them, i could trade them at reapercon for reaper minis and clear a pretty good exchange,  if i remember i wound up getting 20  miniatures for 30 bucks.  wasnt a bad cost.  The originals were probably cheaper but, then again, back then so was everything else!::D:

More the price on the robots - in part because the price of tin had skyrocketed.

The Demo-bot, in particular - $30.

I still have one, but at a lower price I might have bought half a dozen more.

So, keeping an eye on the SF 3D Patreons, in hopes of a good alternative.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Cyber Forge has the ship I want for the recurring bad guys - corrupt cops turned mercenaries.

Their ships are smaller, faster, less armored but more heavily armed.

1.png?token-time=1619487103&token-hash=0

Just that ship, on the left hand side - and maybe the ED 209 expy. (Not currently available - Titan Forge's site is down right now.)

Their ships also have a shorter range.

Fun thing - the group is actually less dangerous than they seem - they have limited funds, and the bottom line is their bottom line.

They started becoming mercenaries to get the funds to be better police - but over time the profits have become their actual goal.

As a result, they only patrol around the congruities that see the most use.

If the PCs find themselves on the run, and stick to longer, more roundabout routes, they can avoid them. And if not, they are more apt to look for a quick shakedown than shot on sight.

Unless they have a backer - which will happen if the PCs screw up on a few missions.

I will be honest - a lot of this part dates back to when I was working on a campaign based on the old Commodore 64 version of Elite.

Short routes run through inhabited systems, fast turn around on investment.

Long runs may go through three or four uninhabited systems for every inhabited one - refueling using scoops, rather than buying better fuel at stations. Sure, the fuel is free - but it takes time, weeks to get enough for a jump. And time is money.

Most of space is just that - empty space. A whole lot of nothing at all.

But the short routes also have customs - tariffs and taxes. And people looking for contraband.

The long routes have illicit trade, and pirates are more likely to prey on those off the main - which means that is where the Salvage Crew is also likely to find the derelicts.

Despite this, they are not likely prey for the pirates - well armored, and a scrapped ship is not high profit unless you have the engines to move it along. Which is why the derelicts were abandoned by the pirates in the first place. The crew and the higher valued cargo would be taken first, then lower priced cargo ferried over until the profit gets too thin. The rest, and the derelicts themselves, are abandoned to drift.

Really large derelicts may become hulks - inhabited and used as temporary bases - not only by pirates but by other members of the sub economy. Nazareths for the smugglers, and temporary homes for prospectors, explorers, and minors.

It is likely that the PCs will be doing that self same thing, using a hulk as a temporary base for a larger scale salvage job.

When the pirates do target the PCs, it will be because they have specific cargo or salvage that they either want, or have been hired to retrieve from the Salvage Crew.

In my head some of the pirate ships are almost comically over armed - some have weapons that can only be fired once, and maybe one or two that risk overloading and potentially exploding every time they fire their guns.

But their targets will almost always be the thrusters - slow or stop the vessel - or, better yet, a threat of destruction, to get the target to surrender their cargo and leave.

https://youtu.be/LVPyJfvj2EM

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

Moot point as they aren't available anymore.  That said, I love the concept and look forward to hearing more about the campaign.

Now that I have a completed Slipnir, I need to come up with a scenario to use it.  I'm thinking a fight in close quarters through bugs to blow the reactor but I have a few other ideas.  

I think an freight shuttle or a chimarea is next...  guess I just love big projects.

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 1
On 2/9/2021 at 6:38 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Think I found the model I want for the primary PC ship - the 2nd Dynasty Chimera Pathfinder -

c59e1942-b478-4467-a894-52c5422204b3.jpg

Three decks, and has ten cryo pods for long travel times.

pathfinder-facts-alt2.png

Not sleek, not beautiful, but heavily armored, and with engines to spare.

Intended to get the crew to the hulks, and, if needed, latch onto the wreck and move it with her variable placed engines, she is a combat drop ship that has been converted into an armored tug.

The first mission is mostly to get a feel - recovering a holed mining vessel from an asteroid field.

The crew of the mining vessel survived, but now the ship needs to be recovered.

The PCs have an early choice - do they take a 10% recovery fee right up front, OR do they take a 10% from the miners' profits for ten years - the quick dime, or the slow dollar. With the 10% they get a hefty fee right away, while the other keeps moneys flowing into their coffers every quarter for the entire campaign.

The Auld Grump

Been looking hard at this model.  I have their shuttle alpha so I know the quality is there.  Just waiting to pick up a printer. 

Edited by snitchythedog
  • Like 1

Still hoping you can put this together. Actually, looking at what you are planning, the core rules for Shadowrun might work. You would have to use someone else's starship rules though.

But, since you like PF1, Starfinder would still be good. Or Traveller, especially since 2nd Dynasty is preparing a KS with two Traveller ships!