Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
Oh, man! This one I'm really happy with. I watched yet another video where someone did a griffon nearly all dry brushed and thought since I had problems doing wings a while back, I could try it. I did and am shocked with the results!
* Using a tri-color system to lighten things up strategically picking out colors ahead and setting them aside.
* Sticking to a plan helped address speed and order of operations.
* Using new dry brush make-up brush has SIGNIFICANTLY increased my ability with the method. I'd sucked at dry brushing - could be due to either pressure or paint application, but either way it worked awesome this time.
* No washes.
* No inks.
* Really only used a 2nd brush to hit the highlights on beak, eyes, and claws.
* Finally got to utilize a reference book I snagged for cheap at B&N for birds.
* @Darcstaar I also utilized your method for claws after you mentioned it. I LOVE IT! Thank you for the combo.
* I somewhat botched one of the eyes - the left. It's not perfectly centered in the yellow circle. I was also having a hard time thinking how far I should push the yellow. Not super noticiable, but I know it's there.
* White/fur/feather area near the head feels a little off, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I am still happy with the results, but something in that transition seems off.
* The fur on the lion body was originally higher volume in cream color, but I dialed it back. I think a much lighter color would do it good to help bring some brighter contrast in, but I chickened out before touching it up because I liked the work as it was. Wimped out.
* the bottom of the body is still darkly shaded due to how the dry brushing worked out, but I think it's still okay? Ish.
* I'm also panicked about doing the base because this easily just became one of my favorite pieces. I've got the basing materials setting up right now and drying -so I hope in the next few hours I get to post this in completed works and it looks rad!
Always open to feedback and love hearing it. As I mentioned, I use the comments to the fullest to make the most of my next one.
or as those Texans keep spelling it, "Griffon". (Texans are lovely people, I wouldn't dream of antagonizing them over their simpleton spelling. These folks have guns. I mean, not even the more common "Griffin"...)
I went with the African Bateleur Eagle, as it has a striking black, white and red colouration with large creamy panels on the top of the wings. The back bit is just a generic big cat, with reddish brown hairy bits to balance all the red on the front.
This model is made in regular 3rd generation Bones plastic. Which in spite of being much more rigid than earlier Bonesium, is not nearly strong enough to hold any weight in awkward positions over time. If one of its front talons had been sculpted touching the base in some way, this would probably not have been a problem. As it was the talon was involuntarily touching the rim of the base anyway together with the wingtip dragging along the ground. This was discovered and fixed some time ago, and I forgot to take any pictures of the listin' gryphon.
Anyway, since it drooped quite a bit after just standing around on the shelf, it was nessecary to brace it. I did this by drilling up into the leg and inserting a 1mm diameter metal rod (I used a part of a paperclip for this) to make it stand up properly and discourage further drooping. The pin goes up into the hip or so from beneath the base. This fix has now held in the several months since I fixed it.
A long time being exposed to the enormous monsters from Warhammer has skewed my size perception. For some reason I have been thinking about this gryphon as "the small one".
Drybrushed from a black undercoat. Yeah, it is a bit rough in places, but perfectly serviceable.
#82 The "Griffon"
Bones 4 Core set, 2019
Made in Bonesium PVC
should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future in Bones.