GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

TGP

On 9/4/2020 at 7:50 AM, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

Zoom, Skype, Discord Chat, Twitch, Google Hangouts (or another) which distant connect service do you like best/hate least?  (Which of those do you have xp with?)

I really don't use virtual services. Obviously, I don't use them for work. About the only ones I've used are Discord & Twitch & that is due to Reaper. My FLGS has a Discord channel & they use that for voice for online gaming. I've participated in 1 session of Discord for my store & that was for like 20 mins top. I've watched more Reaper Live last month then I have the entire time it's been on. Overall, eh, there is some useful info thou some misleading as I heard $175 for the Vex on there & it comes at 199. Yah turned me off that airbrush right there. I don't like the rapid chat frame.

I did jump in on Thursday to the Con Discord, but I didn't type anything. Overall I was like Eh? Cool to see the Con go on but it won't replace the in person experience.

6 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 5th:

Have you managed to overload yourself with ReaperCon virtual classes so far?  For those not not doing distance learning for fun, are you having to help or supervise kidlets as they do distance learning for school?

I've yet to do any classes & currently I doubt I will. I really don't want a Zoom account or even jump in on a Zoom meeting. I'll take in person classes over glorified Youtube videos any day. Currently it's 10:05 am here, that would have meant my game would have started had I overcome the obstacles involved in getting it going. At this moment, I'm kinda glad it didn't happen as I'm just not up for it right now.

My kids are out of school days, so no worries there. My son graduated HS this year & my daughter did the same for college. I feel for the parents & kids that have to go through it thou, but I think it's the right way to go right now.

• Like 7

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

work has been a dumpster fire all week due to one of the things mentioned in question 4

On 9/1/2020 at 7:12 AM, TGP said:

Query for Sept 1st:

(A follow-on to the Aug 27 question, that mostly wound up being about spacecraft:) If forced to leave Earth forever…What Planet from Star Trek or Wars, or another SciFy realm, would you choose for your new home-world? (And why?)

don't know. Pretty sure I don't want to go anywhere near any world from star trek, all perpetually 1 mistake from incomprehensible system failure, or star wars, where the best it gets is a system built on pervasive slavery.

On 9/2/2020 at 3:25 AM, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 2nd:

Do you have a dedicated paint/hobby space? If so, what does it look like? Feel free to either describe in words; or show it off with pix.

nope, I have one desk that I use for work/paint/computer games/anything else that requires a desk. I occasionally switch to a tray table at the couch during football season.

On 9/3/2020 at 7:29 AM, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 3rd: 

Are you planning to participate in the Eat and Greet activity tonight that is part of ReaperCon?

I ended up watching it.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:50 AM, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

Zoom, Skype, Discord Chat, Twitch, Google Hangouts (or another) which distant connect service do you like best/hate least?  (Which of those do you have xp with?)

skype I won't use. I used to but they broke it.

Discord is pretty OK I like their audio quality.

google is sort of the true neutral of all these, neither like nor dislike.

haven't used zoom.

dishonorable mention cisco webex. we use it for work, and it is a perpetual wellspring of problems. it also has worse audio than discord, and is prone to inexplicable screw ups. 

7 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 5th:

Have you managed to overload yourself with ReaperCon virtual classes so far?  For those not not doing distance learning for fun, are you having to help or supervise kidlets as they do distance learning for school?

I've mostly just been watching on twitch

• Like 8

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 5th:

hmm

Just one (excellent) class so far,  and two twitch events, but I didn't stay with till the end on either. 

Yes spending so much time in my first-graders zoom class has probably dampened my enthusasim (and used up my time on weekdays) 

Both spawn are in zoom classes, I supervise the Minispawn.  Wifey also works online and 4 independent streams sometimes stresses out our wi-fi. 

The first grader can handle most of the stuff that comes up, as long as nothing goes wrong.  6 days of distance learning - one of them had nothing go wrong. 

I am not needed for all 7 hours - but Iusually more than once each day.  I also make sure she is back inside after her 15 min or 45 min breaks. 

on friday 4 kids didn't make it back from lunch.  I talked to one of the dads - there was a technical problem and they all got locked out of the system. his daughter was in tears. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 5th:

No Reapercon.

Youngest Vixen studies online, she doesn't need our help with that.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 5th:

Overload? No. I've caught a few classes on twitch tho. Not doing the zoom thing outside of work.

I don't own any kidlets. I am corralling adultlets, but to be fair they're my actual students rn ::P:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 5th:

I am the kidlet.

But luckily, I only have one online class. And that one was always online.

Edited by MusicalFeline
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 5th:

Have you managed to overload yourself with ReaperCon virtual classes so far?

A bit, yeah. I'm teaching 4 and taking 8, which is definitely more than I'd do for in-person ReaperCon, since I figured online wouldn't be as tiring as in-person. That's only sort of the case, though; it's still tiring, just differently so. Most of the classes I've taken have been pretty good, which surprised me. @TaleSpinner'[email protected]'s actually benefitted greatly from the online format, since everyone could actually see what he was doing, rather than trying to squeeze a dozen people around him.

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

A bit, yeah. I'm teaching 4 and taking 8, which is definitely more than I'd do for in-person ReaperCon, since I figured online wouldn't be as tiring as in-person. That's only sort of the case, though; it's still tiring, just differently so. Most of the classes I've taken have been pretty good, which surprised me. @TaleSpinner'[email protected]'s actually benefitted greatly from the online format, since everyone could actually see what he was doing, rather than trying to squeeze a dozen people around him.

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

And it didn't trigger my claustrophobic OCDs!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 5th:

I think I'm a ReperCon overloading professional. I seem to have outdone myself this year. My daughter is taking 3. Ive done 7 so far, am scheduled for 2 more. Ive done the QCC as did my daughter. And I've been trying to pick up oils at Fort Wappel. I also intend to take one or two that I had overlaps with that will be available on Twitch/VOD later.

I have two kids who will both be virtual, luckily they are old enough to just need check ins. Both my hubby and I have been working from home since March and have been told it will continue indefinitely. I'm good with it, I worked from home about 50% before, I like it. My cats seem to like it too...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 6th:

Have you tried playing any internet RPG games this weekend? (There have been many at ReaperCon this weekend, but other games over the nets count as well, even war-games.)

Only a few rounds of Command And Conquer /Red Alert Remastered.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 6th:

Have you tried playing any internet RPG games this weekend? (There have been many at ReaperCon this weekend, but other games over the nets count as well, even war-games.)

Well we all know my rpg journey for this weekend. So, no.

• Sad 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 6th:

No RPGs for me, unless it's "how little sleep can you get" Simulator because the fire alarm is intermittently buzzing briefly every now and then (and this is after being woken up by the alarm itself going off). 

Might be tempted to fire up a single player game though. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 6th:

You're talking about playing a pen and paper game over the internet, right?

I've only done it a few times and I'm not a huge fan of it. For me, it works so much better when you can see each other and have those little interactions that can only happened when you're in the same room together.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1