• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

Zoom, Skype, Discord Chat, Twitch, Google Hangouts (or another) which distant connect service do you like best/hate least?  (Which of those do you have xp with?)

We use webex at work.  I've used twitch some and barely touched the rest. No strong opinions on them.

On 9/5/2020 at 4:02 AM, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 5th:

Have you managed to overload yourself with ReaperCon virtual classes so far?  For those not not doing distance learning for fun, are you having to help or supervise kidlets as they do distance learning for school?

Nope and Nope.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:53 AM, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 6th:

Have you tried playing any internet RPG games this weekend? (There have been many at ReaperCon this weekend, but other games over the nets count as well, even war-games.)

I have played games that are RPGs using the internet this weekend, but not the pen and paper type.

6 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 7th:

ReaperCon Online is one day longer (Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon) than the live event, what do you think of the longer format?

I was not involved, so no opinion.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 7th:

ReaperCon Online is one day longer (Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon) than the live event, what do you think of the longer format?

For in person I arrive on Wed and go until Sun. So it seemed about the same, but not quite as long as last years award ceremony. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

That it's produced one too many GtKY questions focused on ReaperCon. ^_^ 

A little bit of Inside Baseball: When I signed on to do September there were only about 8 spare questions. I realized I needed a bunch more, but then I noticed that a block of questions could be themed around the event. 

Reaper has gone to a huge amount of bother and expense and extra work to put the event on. They are also nice enough to operate this forum and let us play fun lil' games (like this thread) thereon. No one from Reaper asked that the questions be related to the event for a few days, but!

The more I thought about it, it just seemed like the polite thing to do. Thus,

I have bad news for you…

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

New topic!

A day may come when the dice of gamers fail, and we forsake our friends, and think not of ReaperCon….

BUT TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY.

14 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 7th:

I thought going longer was a good idea. Might as well take advantage of the infinitely shorter travel times for attendees.

• Like 9

Last of the RCon questions...

Queries for Sept. 8th:

For those that gave Virtual ReaperCon a try: What new things did you learn?  Did you increase any skills? Is an event like this something you would do again?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Queries for Sept. 8th:

For those that gave Virtual ReaperCon a try: What new things did you learn?  Did you increase any skills? Is an event like this something you would do again?

For those that didn't, what would have made it more likely for you to participate?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Queries for Sept. 8th:

I learned new things about color that I hadn't understood before via @Corporea's class, and I learned water basing from @LordDave.  I learned a bunch of ZBrush stuff watching Chris Lewis do his magic.  I got a whole host of new teaching skills for running an Online class and using an overhead camera.

Yes, I would do an Online event again.

• Like 12

57 minutes ago, TGP said:

Queries for Sept. 8th:

OSL, Weathering, and Shiny paint technique.  We will have to see if any skills increased.  Took the first and the last class on zoom.  I also learned about air brushes.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Crowley said:
47 minutes ago, TGP said:

Queries for Sept. 8th:

For those that didn't, what would have made it more likely for you to participate?

Nothing that can be sorted at Reapers end.

While I was initially very excited by the idea (I'm never going to get the opportunity to attend a proper Reapercon), there's no getting around the fact that the time difference, my dislike of watching things on Twitch and my lack of a quiet space to set up in makes it very unlikely I would take part.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crowley said:
1 hour ago, TGP said:

Queries for Sept. 8th:

I tried. I watched a few Twitch streams but unfortunately, life managed to get in the way of being able to attend most of the classes that I wanted. Motivation also played a key factor on not attending much. It's much easier for me to be motivated about something if I'm immersed in it as opposed to being stuck at home where there is not a lot of motivation to begin with. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Queries for Sept. 8th:

I'll combine both of these as I was there but not there as far as participation.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Discord. I'm still learning the ins & outs of it & the other social media apps. About the only one I use is Face book & it's interface is pretty simple. That being said, I joined a few chat rooms but I didn't post anything. With some of the people posting multiple gif images or small but obtrusive emoticons I didn't feel like staying. I guess I'm old when I say, if I'm gonna chat by typing, I'd rather see words vs images & such. I didn't do any Zoom stuff & to be honest I really didn't want to sign up for Zoom just for classes. I've lived without it so far this year, why start now. I tried last night to watch the Twitch stream of the closing statements & such, but the video feed for me wouldn't stick & I just left. (hopefully someone will post a recap here)

I think I would have felt like participating more had my game went off without any problems. I mean RCon is for miniature painting & all skills you can learn with that but it's also for gaming & I've done that since my first RCon in 2005. I didn't feel like being a player as my calling is being D/G M. I think it was great that people that have never made it to RCON due to whatever but yah your missing allot of the fun being with people that are there for the same reasons you are. I knew going into RC Online, that I worked at least 3 nights of the Con, I didn't feel like I was immersed in the Con, like I'd normally be.  Also lately with my FLGS having it's anv on Labor Day weekend, I'm starting to feel like I'd rather try to do stuff with them vs RCon. At least if I was in Texas, I'd feel more inclined for RCon. Thou COVID19, kinda killed any of my part for my store's events this year. ::(: I guess that is a long way of saying, I didn't feel like it was RCon weekend besides @Reaper_Jon alerts from the Discord app on my phone.

I think I'm gonna take some time off in October (my pre-holiday break) & when I do that I'm gonna put my time in for next year's Con. Hopefully I'll be able to go but with it being a major holiday (at least in the retail/grocery biz, it is) there a chance I won't even be able to go.

• Like 6

I'm kind of an odd case, so while I'm sure that Reaper did the best they could with it, anything on Zoom, Discord, Twitch,etc isn't something I'm going to be a part of. I don't have facebook, apps other than adblocker, or even a cell phone and the closest I come to "social media" is participating here. Between regular internet and the Playstation I worry as it is that I've become too tech dependent. 

But that's just me and my strangeness. I'm glad that Reaper made the attempt and I hope that those who did participate found enjoyment and value in it. I tried to spend as much time as I could during the con painting, so if nothing else I was with you all in spirit. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Reapercon Live - only if I happen to be in the States at that given time which is very unlikely to happen again, so probably never.

Reapercon Online - Not interested.

• Like 6