GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

TGP

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 9th:

Do you typically paint your figures just like the manufacturer sample, (i.e. the box art), or do you get creative?

I just slap paint on and hope for the best.

Unless it's for something iconic and well-known (like Star Wars, etc.) Then I pick colors that look about right, slap them on, and hope for the best.

• Like 13

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 9th:

Do you typically paint your figures just like the manufacturer sample, (i.e. the box art), or do you get creative?

Depends on what I'm painting. If it's a boardgame with great art I'll try to follow but generally take a few liberties with it.

• Like 13

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 9th:

I paint how I like! :lol:

Sometimes I do use box art or pro paint jobs for inspiration (or guidance when I can’t figure out what a particular blob is supposed to be), but I’ve never tried to recreate a paint job completely.

7 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

There's also the little problem that I instinctively want to paint every Dragon as a Red <_< I have no idea why, it just seems to be my default Dragon colour, they just look better that way to me :wacko:

My default is some kind of shiny. Don’t ask me why, I have no idea!

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

On A Positive Note: I Gotta Be Me!

Technically, your paint jobs of your minis would be the box art :ik_oops:

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Thanks, I didn't know that! 

It's interesting that he drew him as a "proper" dragon, rather than the giant wyvern that's in the recent movie adaptations :ph34r:

A) I love that you call it a wyvern too; B) Tolkien made beautiful art for his works. All the original illustrations in the Hobbit were his work.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 9th:

I'd say I typically paint it the way I want/get creative. But there have been a few mini's I bought because I was inspired by the box art. One specifically that comes to mind is the Gordson (sp?) Driller from Warmachine back in the day. The art in the book depicted it with a WW2 style shark mouth painted on it's front armor. I just HAD to do that. I also painted up one or two of the others in a similar fashion as well. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I am an incredibly slow and non-prolific painter.

Perhaps, but you are an incredibly prolific sculptor, so I'd say that makes up for it.

Seriously, sometimes I wonder if you or one of the other Reaper sculptors are conspiring to make one mini to rule them all.

• Like 11

16 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 9th:

My LoTR minis follow the box art, which follows the film art, so as to be recognizable. 

Everyone else I paint how I feel like it, for the most part. I do try and follow real world examples of what I'm trying to paint--I'm not one to paint lavender wargs, that was my 4 year old niece unsupervised. The coverage was very good, I must admit. I have a binder of Citadel instructions on how to combine their paints for certain effects, so I often pull that out and choose a palette. I like painting fantasy things every once in a while, especially as a break from the LoTR earth coloured armies.   

• Like 11

9 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I'm really referring to fictional history, rather than real history.

If I was into genuine historical gaming, I would most likely cleave a little closer to history.

Fleet2.jpg

I did say 'occasionally'. :B):

Ooh, snap! :lol: (pardon the old pic)

IMG_20180109_190215.thumb.jpg.4948a234eb74fa383e247cbed18be0b9.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 9th:

I usually choose my own scheme. Something less challenging to pull off than the box art.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 10th:

Do you base coat an entire figure first, then go back and add details, shading, etc. —or— do you complete an entire area first before moving on?

I try to paint from the inside out. Usually I end up jumping around from bit to bit. Jumping around helps me figure out what colors to use, often changing my mind halfway through.

I have never managed to basecoat entirely first then highlight/shade/detail. I don't have that kind of patience or vision.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 10th:

Do you base coat an entire figure first, then go back and add details, shading, etc. —or— do you complete an entire area first before moving on?

I usually basecoat the whole mini, blocking in the primal colours.

Then I start working on areas.

Most of the time from the inside out, but it depends on the mini.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 10th:

I try to. Then I proceed by painting first whatever is the most time consuming or pain in the elf parts. The way i figure it, if I get the heavy lifting out of the way first, then it becomes easier to get something finished in less than three months or so.

• Like 11