Sign in to follow this  
TGP

GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

On 9/14/2020 at 11:20 PM, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 15:

What song cover/remix do you enjoy? Do you like it better than the original?

Several at this point: 

Darius Rucker's Wagon Wheel

Wind Rose - Diggy Diggy Hole

The Hu's Wolf Totem with Jacoby Shaddix

The Skyrim Theme by Lindsey Stirling and Peter Hollins

Toss a Coin to Your Witcher by Dan Vasc, pretty much anything by Dan Vasc, really, but to pick a favorite...

• Like 7

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 16:

What is the difference between a cover and a remix? 

a cover is a different musician singing or playing the same song

a remix is the original singer or instrumentalist's audio recordings being combined with new material or having it's audio qualities altered. (speed it up, slow it down, change the pitch, add a new backing track etc)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ttuckerman said:

A cover is the song by another group.  A remix is the same recording changed in editing the way the multiple tracks are mixed to create the stereo or mono recording. It can be changed by synth or addition but the main part is the original recording.

25 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

a cover is a different musician singing or playing the same song

a remix is the original singer or instrumentalist's audio recordings being combined with new material or having it's audio qualities altered. (speed it up, slow it down, change the pitch, add a new backing track etc)

^ These would also be my understanding.

• Like 10

On 9/15/2020 at 6:57 AM, malefactus said:

I haven't been able to hear music in quite a long time...at least 25 or so years. Remixes are not something with which I am familiar.

I was not, still am not, very clear on what they are either…

The question for the 15th was suggested by @ManvsMini.  I decided to wait until I learned more to answer:

On 9/14/2020 at 11:20 PM, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 15:

What song cover/remix do you enjoy? Do you like it better than the original?

This:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwcHl44SPBQ  It is a cover of a movie theme song. By one of the oldest bands in existence. It will start off quietly, but be warned, the heavy metal kicks in at about 0:37. (And it is Old School Heavy Metal, none of this screeching electrified guitar stuff.) Even better than original score.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:43 AM, Weird-O said:

Do live versions vs studio recordings count? Because I believe the live S&M version of Metallica's Fuel to be far superior to the original.

I have no idea if those count…

On 9/15/2020 at 12:52 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Something that's really trending now is Bardcore, and they definitely play with the lyrics like from Somebody I Used to Know

https://youtu.be/Ch1aVmjvYTI

The Bardcore song that is my favorite is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRIfsFefatg  Original song is Pumped up Kicks [I think? …unless that is the album.] A vast improvement.

This next question was inspired by @malefactus and by the several people who had firm, but apparently differing opinions, about the difference in the two categories:

On 9/15/2020 at 11:12 PM, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 16:

What is the difference between a cover and a remix? 

Thanks for all the responses, I have a somewhat better idea now.

I like both of my choices from Day 15 better than the originals, whatever their category they belong in.

• Like 6

Query for Sept. 17th:
Tomorrow (the 18th)  is national (**US?) cheeseburger day, how do you like yours?

Edited by TGP
**This May only be a US observance but don’t let that stop you from contributing ideas to your American friends. Question suggested by Inarah.
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 17th:
Tomorrow (the 18th)  is national (**US?) cheeseburger day, how do you like yours?  

Burger: seasoned with Steakhouse seasoning, grilled over charcoal and applewood.

Cheese: Pepperjack, melted onto the patty during the last stages of grilling.

Bun: whole grain

Extras: Fresh tomato slice from my garden, avocado slices, and a fried egg with just a bit of runny yolk left in the center.

Condiments: Ketchup and mustard

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 17th:

Ground beef, pickles, bacon, cheddar, tomato on a white bun with ketchup and mayo.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 17th:

Cooked. Usually on a barbeque. Most of the time I go simple, cheddar, BBQ sauce and mayo. Sometimes with lettuce and tomatoes, rarely with much else.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 17th:

This one from a local steak/ burger place.

photo-feb-18-18-50-24.jpg.7bb0172e02e2562f930bc3b6ed747225.jpg

Astonishingly it's vegan ::o: but it's the best vegan thing I've ever eaten. (Please note, I haven't gone completely over to the dark side, still just veggie)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 17th:

Currently (on low carb) : ground beef mixed with black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, (sugar free) ketchup and enough egg to hold it together.  I use a burger press so they end up somewhere in the 1/4 to half pound range (or so).  Grilled on a barbecue (we only have propane) with as much aged cheddar melted on top as will stay.  Topped with bacon, yellow mustard and (sugar free) ketchup.

When not on low carb: the same, but add in a good whiskey barbecue sauce, stick it on some sort of tasty bun, and pile on the sauteed onions.

I'm meh on lettuce and other veg, and really don't like tomato slices on my burgers. Not because I don't like tomatoes but because they always slip and slide and make things awkward.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 17th:

Beefy, cheesy, and juicy. Tomato, onion, sour pickles, and mustard, but the mustard goes on the opposite side of the other toppings otherwise it can become too tangy (no need for ketchup if there is tomato).

And absolutely NO MAYO. It's the devil's spread (why else do you think the leading brand of it here in the USA is called Hellman's?).

• Like 8

Cheeseburgers

from Blueberry Hill in St Louis. 

or the Brothers Bar in Denver 

grilled onions may be the common denominator 

but even without the burgers are just better.  ambiance helped. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 17th:

I'm pretty happy with most combinations of cheese-like substance* on burger-like substance**, and I like to top it with raw onions and jalapeno if available.

* cheddar, american, swiss, monterey jack, gouda, pepper jack, brie, eazy, vegan, whatever

** ground beef, lamb, turkey, black bean, veggie, reindeer, buffalo, moose, etc.

Also, while I know it's just happenstance, there's something faintly off about cheeseburger day coinciding with Rosh Hashanah. :lol:

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

And absolutely NO MAYO. It's the devil's spread (why else do you think the leading brand of it here in the USA is called Hellman's?).

The only source for that I can quickly find is the Unilever website. All other sources maintain neutrality by sayzing “ A leading brand “.  A little history on this Mayo:

https://www.businessinsider.com/americas-most-famous-mayo-brand-has-two-different-names-2017-6

N.B: the official story is that there was once an emigrant from Germany (named Hellman) who ran a delicatessen after he arrived here. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 17th:

If it's the traditional in-a-bun variety, then fairly plain with fried onions and ketchup.

Otherwise, these days I much prefer my recipe for something called a 'Moco Loco' (A beef burger on rice, covered in mushroom gravy and topped with a fried egg).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1