Sign in to follow this  
TGP

GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

[[[ failed merge ]]]

[...at some point this will be replaced by an answer to a previous question...]

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

When those two start getting added, it starts to feel more like a meatloaf to me rather than a burger. But I've probably had it at some point in my life made that way, and probably said "mmmm, wow, good burger."

I use panko because pretty much all of the other readily available breadcrumbs are made with soy flour, and I really don't like allergic reactions...  Egg is just a nice binder, that also conveniently adds a bit more flavour.. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I would have to modify the slab of meat to actual beef from a Vegan Cow, that is: a cow that was never fed anything but grass. (That still counts as Vegan right, if the cow was vegan…..?) :poke:

This is actually my stance.

I only eat herbivores so indirectly I'm vegetarian...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Query for Sept. 18:

What barbecue sauce is your preferred brand? (and please tell why...) If you can’t stand barbecue sauce, what was it that caused you to dislike it?

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

What barbecue sauce is your preferred brand? (and please tell why...) If you can’t stand barbecue sauce, what was it that caused you to dislike it?

I have no idea. While I like the stuff, I don't get it often enough to have a favorite.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

For most circumstances (chicken, ribs, pulled pork) I use the traditional Sweet Baby Rays.  It has my preferred levels of smoky/sweet/tangy.

Honorable mention goes to AH-SO sauce.  It is an Asian style BBQ sauce that I use on country style ribs.  It is the closest thing in taste to the style of sauce on the ribs I normally get from the various Chinese restaurants.

Also my fingers seem to have forgotten how to spell sauce.  I was typing it with two 's' in the above sentences for some reason.  I blame lack of caffeine.

• Like 10

52 minutes ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

I tend to make my own when needed.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

I seldom eat what you guys call BBQ Sauce.

For me when BBQ, I make Satey Sauce an Indonesian Spicey Peanut Sauce to go with my meat.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

Bullseye Original.  Because it just works on so many things, but especially burgers.  That and it's usually like $3! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

In general, something with a sale sticker on it ::D:. My wife is fond of trying new sauces, when they are on sale.

I like most sauces, unless they are really vinegary.

While on low carb we've been using Guy's sugar-free sauce, since it is actually available in stores here.

guys-award-winning-bbq-sauce-sugar-free.jpg

• Like 11

23 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 17th:
Tomorrow (the 18th)  is national (**US?) cheeseburger day, how do you like yours?

I am partial to Whataburger's Monterey Melt...N.B., since Cap'n John's Alzheimer has progressed there isn't much cooking happening here.

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

Opie's BBQ Sauce. Opie's is our favorite BBQ joint.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

I've mostly been using stubbs due to availability but only for pork. 

I've been using hoisin for my chicken recently.

• Like 10

John Hardy's.  It is a sauce that you can get from a local Barbecue shack in Rochester, MN.  They have some of the best BBQ I have ever had, even better that the stuff I have had in TX.  The guy who started it, John Hardy was an import to Rochester from Louisiana for family reasons.  He brought his amazing BBQ with him.  He died years ago, but his recipes, amazing smoking process, and sauces live on in a small dive in an industrial part of Rochester that typically you need to know a local to know about.  I am salivating right now thinking about a JH pork plate with JoJo potatoes and fried okra.  Mmmmmm.....

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

The brand that's currently on sale when I need some.

All in all, I'm not a big user of BBQ sauce. I can't taste much difference between most of them outside of acknowledging that it's a sweeter savory sauce than ketchup.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Query for Sept. 18:

I don't have any real opinion on this.  I tend to default to Sweet Baby Ray's on the rare occasion I need some though.

• Like 11