GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

TGP

On 9/19/2020 at 10:50 AM, TGP said:

Inquiry, the 19th O’ September: 

What do that flag, BBQ sauce, and Hispaniola have to do one with another? Aaaaarrh! PIRATES is what. 

This Court of Inquiry (Which shall carry on through the twentieth...) is convened to discover: How many buccaneer figures have ye? Have ye managed slather  paint on any of ‘em? Do they have any hulls to command? Or do you at least have a ship on order? Do ye own a proper pirate outfit?  And above all! By Neptune’s Slimy Beard, can ye at least Talk Like a Pirate??

(For today is that day...!)

Only King Neptune hisself knows fer certain.

Three for certain have had the barnacles scrapped off an had a fresh coat o' pitch applied to preserve 'em from the salt air.

The Lupo de' Mare be my flagship, an' we be adding another to the fleet soonish.

Aye, it be buried in me sea chest.

RUM!

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, TGP said:

What do that flag, BBQ sauce, and Hispaniola have to do one with another? Aaaaarrh! PIRATES is what. 

This Court of Inquiry (Which shall carry on through the twentieth...) is convened to discover: How many buccaneer figures have ye? Have ye managed slather  paint on any of ‘em? Do they have any hulls to command? Or do you at least have a ship on order? Do ye own a proper pirate outfit?  And above all! By Neptune’s Slimy Beard, can ye at least Talk Like a Pirate??

I have more than some, but less than lots.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2020 at 10:50 AM, TGP said:

I'm guessing around a dozen figures that are specifically pirates, and maybe a dozen others that would work in a pinch. I have only painted one pirate so far, the guy with the chest up on his shoulder. I've got a couple of 3D paper Viking ships that have seen better days, a few small paper skiffs, a couple of painted plastic row boats (Reaper and Wizkids), the stygian barge, and a bunch of 2D ship layouts. I've also got an unbuilt TTCombat barge and a Fat Dragon Games paper sailing ship yet to print. 2 of the bones V full sized ships and 1 of the little ones on order, may add another full sized ship to that yet. I don't own a pirate outfit, unless you count jeans and a t shirt as the modern standard for pirate clothing. And I can't do accents. But I'll try... Yar. There, I tried.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/19/2020 at 8:50 AM, TGP said:

Scallywags about these parts be best known for rustlin' cattle. (We actually have a different entry in the Canadian criminal code for livestock theft. It's not grand theft or theft under $5000, but its own specific offense.) So that's what they all have to do with each other. 

Yar, there be no buccaneers herewith, these waters be patrolled by Her Majesty's majestic fleet of renown. When I went to the Boston Tea Party museum, I was wearing my favorite "Canada" red sweater. Being in character, they said I was a rebel in perfect disguise. I said: "Hail Britainia". The Americans may like to forget, but the British did burn down the original White House. They could be considered Canadians, but we weren't a country back then.

I love boats. I have a miniature canoe with voyagers in it from Warlord Games that will be part of an eventual diorama for the canoe club. I also have several styrofoam offerings from Ziterdes of Germany. Of special note, they now have a longship! Thomarillion of Germany has also sold me a resin boat or two. 

Me accent doth seem always to devolve into that of a Newfie and then further to Ricky of "Trailer Park Boys". My favorite pirate-inspired scent in in "The Lighthouse", where the Keeper spouts a curse from the pages of Melville to DiCaprio's character. That character's reply is the best.      

• Like 9

'Ere's hoping ye scalawags enjoyed TLAP day and TLAP weekend. 

For those that didn't know buccaneers kinda invented Barbecue. They'd put in to some quiet cove on islands like Hispaniola, send shore parties to hunt wild pigs, or rustle loose cattle, and while other shore parties were refilling the ships water barrels, they'd cook the meat. By smoking it. On wooden grills raised up above open fires. They got the idea and the word from a Caribbean tribe named the Taino. Their word for the practice was barbacoa. The buccaneers refined it and it ultimately became  what we call Barbecue. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Answering the Court:

17 figures give or take a mousling or two….

Unpainted, the lot of 'em.

Two hulls, both laid up in ordinary.

At present no ship on order.

Not so much as an eyepatch.

And I think I've managed the last bit, at least in print.

• Like 8

On 9/19/2020 at 10:42 AM, Inarah said:
On 9/19/2020 at 8:00 AM, Kuroneko said:

I've never tried any, as far as I'm aware it's to put on meat? To make it taste better or something? ::P:

Specifically, it is a sweet and tangy, sometimes spicy sauce used to glaze slow-smoked meats (BBQ) just before serving.  This method of meat preparation started in the americas, so you may not have encountered the culture.  Today the sauce is often used to season anything from chicken nuggets to french fries, because the sweet flavor and spices will cover up the original flavor if used heavily enough.  It's one way to get kids to eat their food, or cover an over cooked chicken breast or low-quality  beef patty.  Some people like it so much they put it on anything. 

@Kuroneko  see two posts up for a little bit of the origin story. Basically, thank the almost extinct ( <== Smithsonian Article) Taino 'Indians' for the word and the cooking method. The sauce (as we know it today) came later.

There are (in the US) thousands of sauce recipes, numerous regional styles, and flavour profiles….represented by several hundred brands of the stuff. Hence the question from Sept. 18.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TGP said:

Inquiry, the 21st of September: 

Are you ready for The Equinox? or are you planning to ignore it? (It happens tomorrow for most time-zones.) …and will it be the end of winter or the end of summer for you?

For me it will be the end of Summer.

And no I'm not ready for it, I HATE Winter!

image.thumb.png.8d399e9a93047ae0857764c83311d85f.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

@Kuroneko  see two posts up for a little bit of the origin story. Basically, thank the almost extinct ( <== Smithsonian Article) Taino 'Indians' for the word and the cooking method. The sauce (as we know it today) came later.

There are (in the US) thousands of sauce recipes, numerous regional styles, and flavour profiles….represented by several hundred brands of the stuff. Hence the question from Sept. 18.

Thanks for all the explanations everyone. I think you get BBQ sauce here, but it's not something I've ever tried for obvious reasons ::P: I think the UK equivalent is HP sauce, which imho is pretty much what evil tastes like <_<

On 9/19/2020 at 3:50 PM, TGP said:

Yaaar, we be 'avin no tiny buccaneers in these parts cos we be 'avin ye real thing! Ye terror of all those scurvy dawgs, the Dread Pirate Kurogane!

DSCN3557.thumb.JPG.bfe73860fc9d69154a302cecd5925ee4.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Are you ready for The Equinox? or are you planning to ignore it? (It happens tomorrow for most time-zones.) …and will it be the end of winter or the end of summer for you?

It’s... just another day, y’know?

While the pedant in me will point out that it’s the official start of autumn, I tend to follow temperatures rather than dates for seasons.  It feels like autumn now, but summer may have a last hurrah yet.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm not ready for it, I HATE Winter!

Poor Wolf…

13 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I think the UK equivalent is HP sauce, which imho is pretty much what evil tastes like <_<

You are not wrong. Tried it. It can be found on this side of the pond if you know the right places. You are not wrong.

14 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Ye terror of all those scurvy dawgs, the Dread Pirate Kurogane!

DSCN3557.thumb.JPG.bfe73860fc9d69154a302cecd5925ee4.JPG

:lol: ::D: :lol:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Just anther day really. It does mean summer is officially over for the year, in turn means temps will start to drop more. Farmer's almanac says we are in for a repeat performance of 2017's winter & with La Nina making her appearance in the Pacific...yah not looking forward to the next season change.

Fall means yard work (ughhh, I just wish it do the leave falling thing all at once, so I could clean them up & be done with it vs dragging on the entire season). Bunny enjoys the fall as it means no hot sun bearing down on here while she goes about in the back yard. I guess it means I really should take out the bedroom AC. I think this is the latest I've left it in.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TGP said:

It's generally just another day for me, but bring on the fall.... And can we have an actual fal lthis year, that would be great ^_^

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.84e5c44472e5dd1f635973fb9838ede4.png

No. Heat is bad, mmkay? I'll meet you halfway though, with fall... 

• Like 8