Sign in to follow this  
TGP

GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

47 minutes ago, TGP said:

It hammered me for about 9 hours. But I woke up at around zero one thirty (01:30) hrs with the distinct feeling I had broken a fever. Then it :upside: was over. 

Yay (?) immunity. 

I would have guessed that there were a couple of dozen. 

I do not know any sign language. 

After reading more about it I was fascinated to learn that BSL and ASL are far more different from each other than British and American spoken English. 

I have created a link above, within the question, so that anyone that is interested can begin reading where I did. 

True! ASL is a distinct language from English, and not a simple encoding of English into visible movement. Also, as it turns out, ASL is primarily a descendant of French Sign Language, not British. :upside:

• Like 7

9 hours ago, TGP said:

Inquiry, the 23rd of September: 

Did you know there are 300 different sign languages? Today is International Sign Language Day (so sayeth the UN). Can you sign? If so in which one/ones?

I did not know that.

I can not.

• Like 10

Did you know there are 300 different sign languages? Today is International Sign Language Day (so sayeth the UN). Can you sign? If so in which one/ones?

f

a hand full of letters a nd gestures in ASL. 

My very favorite is a visual pun. 

The name of the city El Paso 

You make an L with one hand, and O with the other, then they pass each other. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Nope and nope.

I've also never had a reaction to a shot.

• Like 8

I took a year off mute for tax reasons.  Sign language is effectively useless.  It only works inside dedicated insular communities.  Outside of those communities, you pretty much have to use text.  This is a whole lot easier and more socially acceptable than when signing came about.

Crunchyroll - Forum - Flip phones in anime

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TGP said:

I didn't know the number, but did know that there are many. I know some very basic ASL.

• Like 7

Inquiry, the 24th of September: 

Gaming mats / Table covers / Game boards: Do you own any? What are they made of? Are they representing desert, open water, cobblestone, swamp..? Where did you source them, if you did not make them?

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Gaming mats / Table covers / Game boards: Do you own any? What are they made of? Are they representing desert, open water, cobblestone, swamp..? Where did you source them, if you did not make them?

I do not own any of the above, therefore the follow on questions are all n/a.

Unless game boards includes the toughened cardboard that comes with board games...

• Like 9

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I do not game so essentially no.

But.. I did create a Photoboard Backdrop and am working on a second one.

First one represents a Jungle with a overgrown Aztec style door and the one I'm working on is an Egyptian style temple with snake statues.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I have several boards that were meant for gaming, but, now, are used for photos. I have also done several large boards for gaming clubs.

The boards are done in various types of styrofoam, & depict everything from grasslands to ruined cities (Mordheim).

All were home grown.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, TGP said:

No, although I knew there were several different sign languages.

Once upon a time, I knew the alphabet in American Sign Language and a small vocabulary.  I’ve forgotten almost all of it.

5 hours ago, TGP said:

I own some neoprene gaming mats.  Most of them are intended for use with card games and came as swag from various kickstarters, so they mostly show character art.  All but two of the remaining mats are for BattleTech and OGRE, with varying terrain and a hex grid - basically alternate game boards.  One mat is an old Chessex hex grid mat, scaled for BattleTech, intended for use with wet-erase markers.  The last mat is a laminated paper (or possibly thin cardboard) mat with squares on it, intended for use with dry-erase markers and sold by Paizo for use with Pathfinder.

The only game boards I own go with board games.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I own about 4 Megamats (vinyl) two on my game table, they are tan with hexes one side and squares on the other. I also have many of the Pathfinder Maps that represent Desert, forest, swamp, buildings, ships and other things.  Also I have foam core with color printed paper glued on the surface for several spaceships (Serenity is one f them).  Also I have BattleTech maps of cardboard on one inch insulating boards that is cut to be topological. They are in several boxes that take up 6'x2'x~4' space.  Also I have many Formula De tracks mostly printed on cardboard but some fan created are done on just paper.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I have 2 gaming mats, a 3x3 tundra and a 4x6 grassy plains (both pretty generic intentionally). Both are neoprene I think, mouse pad type material. Mine are FAT mats, from Tablewar.
I have 3 sets of boards. They come in 2x2 pieces and clip together to make a 4x6.  They are plastic with texture. they were from the Games & Gears KS, which went so badly they abandoned the product line.

They came "prepainted" and were so bad they actually sent me a 2nd set of the cobblestone so I could try to pick out 6 that weren't too bad (I MAY have described them as looking like they dipped an animal in a wash and let it roll around on the boards).   I have a cobblestone 28mm set (of 12 technically) that really need to be completely repainted.  I have a 28mm Sci-Fi set that aren't too bad as they only did accent painting (and left the wash off) so I can probably fix them up without a complete repaint.   And I have a 10mm Sci-Fi set that are in a similar state to the 28mm.
As my gaming table is currently somewhere in the storage room with it's legs off, none of them are being used for anything.  But at some point I'll get that set up and use them again I expect.

Oh, and I think I have some battletech mats coming with the KS...maybe.  It's been a while since I last updated the pledge manager...

I have lots of ideas for building my own boards, but no space or time currently.

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
remembered Battletech
  • Like 8

<MOD>

A few minorly political post have been removed.  Due to certain recent events, we, the mod staff will be a bit more heavy handed on the political innuendo and such.  Don't even bring it up or elude to it, please.  Tensions are too high and this is a place for minis.  I expect there will be more on this soon.

</MOD>

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TGP said:

I've picked up many things over the decades. If I'm honest, some have been pushed into corners or thrown away over time, so I am not 100% sure what we have.

I think we have:

4'x6' heavy green cloth mat for war gaming

4'x6' hex-gridded satellite photo for Battletech or similar games

4'x6' hex gridded black felt star pattern cloth mat for space games

A variety of Pathfinder flip mats.

Two sets of Card stock urban boards for Dropzone Commander

Four 2'x2' home-made urban boards for Dropzone

4'x4' Dropfleet Commander orbital map

*Lots* of traditional paper and cardboard Battletech map sheets.

Four Neoprene Battletech "grasslands" maps

Maybe something else? I probably still have my old Babylon 5 Wars paper hex grids some place.

I have often considered buying or building a solid 4'x6' table cover to play war games at home, but I do not have one. Usually our coverings are carried to a store/convention and used there.

• Like 10