Sign in to follow this  
TGP

GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Inquiry, the 24th of September: 

Gaming mats / Table covers / Game boards: Do you own any? What are they made of? Are they representing desert, open water, cobblestone, swamp..? Where did you source them, if you did not make them?

I own Tact-Tiles that came fro Kickstarter.

e0643a4d5205e3254590cd67a34e463e_origina

Hard plastic, dry erasable, modular, 1" squares. And I haven't had a home game ever since I got them.

Though don't own any, I've used vinyl mats many times in the past.

• Like 11

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Gaming mats / Table covers / Game boards: Do you own any? What are they made of? Are they representing desert, open water, cobblestone, swamp..? Where did you source them, if you did not make them?

I have a large (5x8 foot) chunk of green teddy bear fur that I use for bigger battles and a home made 4x4 battle mat for games like Frostgrave. It's mostly greys and browns. It was made out of canvas, paint and sand. Since then I've learned about using acrylic caulking but haven't tried making a second one yet.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, TGP said:

Back in the 80s when I was a teen, I had a large chalkboard tabletop that I used for some gaming until I convinced my stepdad that plexi would be better. Plexi table toppers were the thing in my two main gaming groups. You could lay maps under them (we had a lot of artists in one group) and/or draw on them with grease pencils. I think we got sheets of 1" square marked paper from the sewing store?

Never had any product specifically made for gaming, though. My current table cover is a self-healing cutting mat that I use for cutting mats and framing my art. Doubles as a nice table protector, but I don't game directly on it (lately it's been Zombicide tiles).

On sign language: I've worked with some deaf guys, so I know some swearing in ASL (I used to know a LOT more, but it's been 25 years...).

• Like 7

9 hours ago, TGP said:

My go-to for D&D is a chessex vinyl gridded map.  I used to use a generic dry-erase map, but long battles or crawls would slowly destroy the drawn features.

I have, however, fallen in love with cheap scatter, and really enjoy the Dungeon Craft brand of 2D scatter.  Only got to use their materials once before I halted in-person games.  But I enjoyed it enough to fully back their new kickstarter and I should be receiving several themed battlemaps.  They're high-quality paper, fold-out, and reversible.  Themes include: Ocean, Deep Ocean, Hellscape, Lava, Grassland, Grass with River, Battlefield, Torn Earth, Dungeon, and Castle.

I have a feeling I'll want to flatten them out and laminate them for durability, but I'm looking forward to receiving them next month!

Edited by MoonglowMinis
  • Like 8

For the longest time I used Chessex, then I switched to Gaming Paper rolls & eventually went in on their Kickstarter for their version of tiles. They are nice but they do take a beating with travel & usage. I eventually switched to Cursed Crypt's tiles. Love the fact I can use any marker on them & they clean up like it was wet erase marker. I need to order a couple more as I only went in for 4 tiles.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, TGP said:

At present, I own one modular tiles cityscape kind of mat from Micro Art Studio - 16 1x1' tiles you can arrange in a variety of ways.  Wait, I also own a second one, one of the official CGL BattleTech mats (Alpine, I think). 

I have plans on acquiring a few more 4x4' gaming mats, most of which will be from Deep Cut Studios, and kind of have an urge to get my paws on terrain tiles from Los-Block (because a ramen shop built into a terrain riser is awesome), as well as Miniature Scenery (because for some reason I want to have a battle in a mega mall, aka I really want to paint their escalator set for some reason, lol) 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a few whiteboards, one of which I had painstakingly carved 1"x1" grids on it for D&D. I am not certain if that was a wise call.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I have a few whiteboards, one of which I had painstakingly carved 1"x1" grids on it for D&D. I am not certain if that was a wise call.

Intrigued...  When you say “carved”, is that in a real and legally gouging sense?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TGP said:

We had an old dry erase mat, but I think it got trashed as it had got to the point where I couldn't get it clean.  There's a couple small paper/laminated flip maps around, the kind that have woods on one side and a small village on the other. Mostly promo pieces from cons. Never used them.  I have a small thin fleece blanket (4x6'?) in tan that I got on clearance at a car parts store which I have used as a desert sand playing field, with "egyptian" terrain pieces.  I own a lot of terrain made from plaster: dungeon, cavern, general fantasy and the egyptian temple compound.  None of it has been used in years, but it was usually just plopped down on whatever table we had without a mat or anything.   I have some paper tiles from a KS that I can print out: village, castle, docks, etc.  Only the dock pieces have been printed so far. I did discover this week that they can be uploaded to Roll20 and used there, so it's looking like that will get some use.   Another set of paper terrain I have printed and used for photo props. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I've got a vinyl (I think that's what it's made of) Chessex Mondomat for my dining room table. It's a little small for the table, but it still works great when I host a game night. It's just hexes and squares, nothing fancy looking. I have a couple of smaller maps from Scrying Eye Games that have boats on them. I got those at Origins. I've also built a number of gaming surfaces on my own and with friends over the years. The nicer ones were on that cheap press board backing you get on flat pack book shelves, covered in 1" hex paper from Gaming Paper, and then covered in clear contact paper for use with wet erase markers. They fold up and can be stored behind a desk or couch so they are out of the way. Those are at various homes of my gaming group so I don't have to lug a gaming mat along with me every time I come over.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TGP said:

I have a Chessex mat with 1 inch grids (squares and hexes).  I have a snow mat (4ft x 4ft IIRC) that I obtained for playing Frostgrave; haven't had a games since I got it.  I won a couple of rolls grid paper and ocean paper for participation in Iron GM.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, TGP said:

Oh man, I have a lot of options.   My primary mini gaming table was painted to look like water, so i could use it for naval rules, and use my home made Geo-Hex like tiles on it to make 3d terrain with "rivers" and "lakes".  I also have several Geo-Hex 4x6 mats in Grass, Sea and Desert colors (lucked into an evilBay auction for 8 of them for cheap a couple years ago.  I also have a variety of Chessex mats with grids and hexes.  And I have several sets of TerraTiles in various themes for quick "terrain."

Finally, I have a large format printer and use that in conjunction with Campaign Cartogropher to create battle mats and such. 

Surprisingly, I use them all about equally - it's just which tool best fits my mood and the situation. 

• Like 10

13 hours ago, TGP said:

I have two Vinyl mats (by Chessex?) that are Jet Black with white (and numbered) hexes. Pretty sure they were meant for Star Fleet Battles or some space game.

Otherwise I have a selection of table cloths. Some are vinyl, some really are cloth. I don’t have as many as “Twenty” but I have at least ten. I know I have grass, desert, water, snow, and I do remember one that was deep purple textured badlands. That one was vinyl, in a weird purple color, with a strong leather/scales/snakeskin faux texture in it.

Sorta wishing I had something better. At least for Frostgrave. You have @Froggy the Great and a skirmish table he posted pictures of on Facebok to thank for inspiring this question.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Technically I own two of the Chessex vinyl mats, but they are currently on loan to my brother for the past year (and as the saying goes, possession is 90% of ownership... but that's false, for the record!). I could claim that I currently have a set of modular foam tiles I made to represent a stone dungeon; they were made for my brother, but currently with me as a few L-shaped pieces are being finished (again, possession, yada yada yada).

I have a hotwire foam cutter table, so I want to make more modular tiles, try to make a set that can be suitable for an outdoor encounter, and all that. Buying insulation foam isn't high on the expense list right now though. One day though.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, TGP said:

we have the big 1" square with reverse hex grid matt. And a little square grid one. They are plain. I believe they are from Chessex... but not 100% sure. 

• Like 8