GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

TGP

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Inquiry, the 26th of September: What is a skill or technique you would like to learn but have not? 

I tried working with an airbrush long ago. The experiment was not entirely successful. It would be nice to learn how to do that competently. 

ZBRUSH. I would like to learn Zbrush. 

NB: This question is not limited to hobby related skills...Archery is something I know how to do. But Archery would be a valid answer for someone that has never tried it. Or pottery. 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

Inquiry, the 26th of September: What is a skill or technique you would like to learn but have not? 

When it comes to hobby stuff, I'd like to learn how to use green stuff and related materials. I'm never going to be able to sculpt, but I'd like to be able to mess around just enough to make things look cool, I guess?

For not hobby stuff... Hmm. I don't really know. I guess script writing?

• Like 10

23 hours ago, TGP said:

Inquiry, the 25th of September: 

Do you enjoy making changes to models? or doing model conversions?

I do! Though I only really do it out of necessity, for example, my PC uses a certain weapon or a head swap because I like the body but the head is all wrong to me. Maybe needs more tentacles. I do sometimes feel guilty chopping things up. But it's for a good cause!

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

In mini painting, using an airbrush. Because I don't have one!

Yet. 

In the rest of life, pottery wheel throwing. Have always been enamored with ceramics.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, TGP said:

3D sculpting seems interesting, but given I'm starting from zero I haven't been willing to invest the time.

I've played around a bit with my airbrush, but not enough.  That is actually the plan for this coming week as I have a few days off.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Water Effects is one that piqued my curiosity at RCon 2019, and I was away when it was taught during RCon Live. So I missed it.

Cloth textures is also something I'd like to know more of.

For non-miniature painting skills/techniques, none come to mind. If I'm curious enough, I'll learn it.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Hobby related: I'd like to learn to use my airbrushes for more than priming and base coating.  This is actually a goal for this winter.

And I'd like to at least achieve a passing competence in 3D modeling. I'm more interested in mechanical shapes (tanks, Gnomish battle mecha, etc) that trying to digitally sculpt organic forms.

Non-hobby: I'd like to learn to weld.  There is a general welding class at the community college I was going to take this year, but then with the uncertainty of physical classes and the pandemic I decided to hold off.

And I'd love to learn to forge, but since my shoulder hurts just thinking about it, I suspect that one isn't in the cards.  Plus anvils are freaking expensive....

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Airbrushing is a big one on my list, initially for priming, basecoats, and sealing, but I definitely would love to also be able to do various parts of the process with one too. 

Depending on how a few other things go, this process may very well be a path I walk on in a few months. I kind of really want to have one before my birthday ::P:

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I'd like to try and learn OSL someday. I'm always super impressed when I see examples of it.

In terms of non hobby skills, I'd like to learn to scuba dive. I enjoy exploring aquatic ecosystems and it would be nice to check out something outside of the littoral zone.

• Like 9