Sign in to follow this  
TGP

GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

59 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:
2 hours ago, TGP said:

Inquiry, the 26th of September: What is a skill or technique you would like to learn but have not? 

Hobby related: I'd like to learn to use my airbrushes for more than priming and base coating.  This is actually a goal for this winter.

And I'd like to at least achieve a passing competence in 3D modeling. I'm more interested in mechanical shapes (tanks, Gnomish battle mecha, etc) that trying to digitally sculpt organic forms.

Non-hobby: I'd like to learn to weld.  There is a general welding class at the community college I was going to take this year, but then with the uncertainty of physical classes and the pandemic I decided to hold off.

And I'd love to learn to forge, but since my shoulder hurts just thinking about it, I suspect that one isn't in the cards.  Plus anvils are freaking expensive....

I'm constantly surprised by how often your answers are so similar to mine. #1 thing on my list for hobby stuff is learning to 3D model. Want to at least be able to modify other's work to fit my wishes without it looking terrible. Would be nice to be able to do full models of minis and terrain. I'm working on it.

I can weld but I'm not the best at it. If I can lay the pieces in the proper orientation I do decent work but all too often I'm fixing larger equipment and it feels like I have to hang upside down by my legs while holding things in place and all the sparks and slag dribbling on me. I've always been fascinated by forging. I've watched countless videos and shows on the subject, stood around and talked to people doing it for hours yet never once attempted myself. Kind of sad when I have had the opportunity just never started. Even have a couple of friends that are in to it but they live a long way from here now. Would be fun to try but I am very aware of the costs and time needed to turn out anything so just never took the first step. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Inquiry, the 26th of September: What is a skill or technique you would like to learn but have not? 

Hobby? Airbrushing.

Followed closely by textured fabrics.

Outside of mini painting?  Woodworking.  If I can make bespoke shelves, maybe I can put all my books on shelves.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Hobby-related, flesh tones and the art of the smooth blend. NMM at some point, but it's not the high priority ones.

Non-hobby related, I have a list of things that are all things that would be great in I lived in past centuries. Jousting, axe/knife throwing, glassblowing (still applicable today, but the machines will eventually take it all when they revolt!). Oh, and I would really love to learn how to do that Scottish game where they throw the log end-over-end, but I think my body will officially quit on me if I attempt it.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Eventually I'm going to have to learn to sculpt. Perhaps not in 28mm scale, but I have too many ideas for things like 1:1 recreations of the Fat Little Birds wearing armor, garden gnome warbands, etc running around in the back of my mind that eventually I need to make an attempt at it.

Non hobby related I would love to learn to draw in the style of Wally Wood and to paint in the style of Gil Elvgren and various other pulp cover artists of the 1930s-1950s. Unfortunately the drawing mental block came crashing down again so that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Hobby-wise, I would like to learn NMM, it looks so cool but I just don't have the patience to practice my blending.

Non-hobby-wise, it would be so useful if I could learn to drive, but I've tried and I'm terrible at it.

• Like 11

Inquiry, the 25th of September: 

Do you enjoy making changes to models? or doing model conversions?

I can and do, but normally I am less than satisfied with the results. (beyond weapon switches)

dropping 2 legs of the dracolisk was probably my fav conversion. 

A couple of figures from the Bones conversion class also worked out well. 

hmm 

faces, with expressions.  I can occasionally get decent faces, but it always feel like I just kept redoing it until it was acceptable. 

rather than producing an effect I was aiming for from the beginning. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Non-hobby-wise, it would be so useful if I could learn to drive, but I've tried and I'm terrible at it.

At least you are honest about it. Most people think they are the best driver. I didn't learn to drive until age 21, about five years after all my friends had. Still wouldn't call myself great, but I know where I am comfortable driving (you won't catch me parallel parking on a street in a big city).

It is a good skill to learn though. Have you ever tried driving a golf cart? If you can find a way to ease into driving something small, and work up, it might help you improve, both in skill and in confidence that you can do it.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Hobby wise - digital sculpting
Non-hobby - not so much learn,  as re-learn, the art of forging (but I think I need a bigger property for that, with a dedicated space)

• Like 10

11 hours ago, TGP said:

Next up: airbrushing, oils and TMM. 

Also drawing and watercolors.

Lots of other stuff too... but those are the art/hobby ones.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, malefactus said:

I would like to learn to transmute lead to gold.

:winkthumbs:    A lofty goal, with enormously practical benefits.

16 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Painting.  That is a skill I am bad at.

:ik_oops:   We are all our own worst critics. —KtD

13 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Outside of mini painting?  Woodworking.  If I can make bespoke shelves, maybe I can put all my books on shelves.

I  was once an OK :mellow: woodworker. I can't hold a candle to my younger brother though. He can build stairs, cabinets, tables…  

5 hours ago, Dragoneye said:

Also drawing and watercolors.

I wish I had kept up with doing watercolours…tried my hand at it a long time ago.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, TGP said:

OSL is a top one for me.

17 hours ago, malefactus said:

I would like to learn to transmute lead to gold.

I think you need a philosopher's kidney stone or something like that.

• Haha 7

Inquiry, the 27th of September:

Fake, recorded crowd noise during ***NFL games: Hate it? Dig it? Creepsational? Don’t care?

Edited by TGP
*** (Football American Style…)
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

(Football, American Style…) Fake, recorded crowd noise during NFL games: Hate it? Dig it? Creepsational? It's brilliant! Don’t care?

So, right, a bit of explanation: Many of the sportball games being played and televised on Sundays (by the NFL) are being played in empty stadiums. Just players, coaches, camera crews, and broadcast people.  But they are using previously recorded sound tracks of fans, unique to each stadium, and playing it during games. The Telly audience at home gets to hear it and the players are treated to it over loud speakers inside the stadiums.

:unsure:

I found it spooky and weird.

The noise of a crowd… …but the camera panned past hundreds of empty seats.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, TGP said:

(Football American Style…) Fake, recorded crowd noise during NFL games: Hate it? Dig it? Creepsational? Don’t care?

Dutch here, I don't watch it.

Tried once, doesn't appeal to me.

• Like 7

To clarify further: the question is about adding noise and SFX to simulate a crowd that is not there, not as much about the particular flavor of Sportsball. 

• Like 5