GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

TGP

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Keianna said:

I was, but now I have to work late, so no.  My streak of missing the meet and greet continues; I have yet to actually attend one. I will hop into whatever is happening later this evening. 

The last few years you've missed some really bad pizza, so don't let it bother you. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 3rd: 

Are you planning to participate in the Eat and Greet activity tonight that is part of ReaperCon?

I was. It went not at all according to plan.

12 hours ago, ttuckerman said:

Yes I will.  Looking at a class on airbrush first.  Isn't it meat & greet?

It was. They stuck with the same name rather than pivoting to a sound-alike as I had thought.

10 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I accidentally already did it.

In my mind, I misread the date and thought it was Wednesday, as per all previous RCons.

This is what I did also. It was fiasco-like.

10 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

[…snip…]

So tonight, I'll be having pizza!

All in all, I'm normally home on Thursday evenings watching the Twitch shows, so it's not much of a change.

After I figured out the shift-by-one-day business, I vowed to try again. I wound up stumbling in 30 minutes late, no possibility of heating up food before hand. :mellow:

#fiascocontinued

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 3rd: 

Are you planning to participate in the Eat and Greet activity tonight that is part of ReaperCon?

UPDATE: I was there! Pizza was effectively consumed.

I even won a Reaper Gift Certificate.

2 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I agree with some of the other posters that watching other people eat is kind of gross. I applaud Reaper for trying to make all the traditional events of the con work, but it's not for me. Also, my puppy hurt her leg this morning chasing coyotes, so we're planning on some cuddling tonight. 

None of the hosts ate in front of us on camera (aside from drink cups).

They had their BBQ table off camera on one side of the studio, and they took turns off camera, switching hosts and guests to go and grab a bite if desired.

• Like 12

On 9/3/2020 at 8:29 AM, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 3rd: 

As I'm just reading about it now, no.....
I've been pretty much ignoring the RCon stuff.  I don't really enjoy the whole watching hours of twitch thing, so it doesn't really appeal to me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

Zoom, Skype, Discord Chat, Twitch, Google Hangouts (or another) which distant connect service do you like best/hate least?  (Which of those do you have xp with?)

The Deaf Guy doesn't do any of them. Cap'n John did the Zoom thing with the first few sessions with his Alzheimer's Counselor.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

Zoom, Skype, Discord Chat, Twitch, Google Hangouts (or another) which distant connect service do you like best/hate least?  (Which of those do you have xp with?)

I have the most experience with Google Hangouts, Microsoft Teams, and Skype. They're all fine. I like Teams for work, due to the office integration. I wish Google would just bloody settle on something and not kill and replace it every could of years. Still miss G+.

Discord... eh, I use it, but not a huge fan. Twitch is fine. I like watching Anne's stream.

Work uses zoom for the big townhalls. We'll see how it goes with Reapercon classes.

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

The bane of my existence...  I use Webex and Teams at work and know them inside and out after helping manage senior-level calls on those platforms and working directly with Cisco to test new functionality, Discord Chat a little with buddies when we're playing boardgames virtually (we're back to the table now so likely won't be doing that until lockdown 2.0 starts up.  I have only used Zoom twice for Friday drinking chats with coworkers as my work avoids it due to the earlier (ongoing?) security vulnerabilities.  Used to use Skype more but other options including Facetime on my phone are just easier in many cases. 

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I've used those plus MS Teams.

They are all ok for what they do, I guess.

Teams we use for work.  Skype for Business couldn't handle the load once you get to 500+ people for certain calls.

Zoom I've only used once, seemed decent.

Twitch I've watched, but don't really get all the jargon around subscriptions and the like and can't be bothered to learn.

Discord we use for voice for our D&D games and seem fairly sold.

They all suffer from the same issue, once you get two people talking they don't do so well.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I've used Google hangouts and skype. I tend to rarely talk to any of my long distance friends anymore so don't use anything often. Skype was the most used back when my wife was out of the country a lot as it was cheaper than phone calls. No real likes or dislikes as they both allowed me to chat with people I may not have otherwise.

• Like 9