GETTING TO KNOW YOU.... SEPTEMBER 2020 …GTKY

TGP

1 hour ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

Zoom, Skype, Discord Chat, Twitch, Google Hangouts (or another) which distant connect service do you like best/hate least?  (Which of those do you have xp with?)

I've used Skype, hangouts, Discord and Twitch from that list. There's also WebEx and Teams, both of which I hate with a passion. 

Skype is hated almost as much as Teams, even though it used to be my favourite platform. Something something rant about Microsoft destroying it the same way they did in the latter years of MSN Messenger... 

Discord is my second favourite, I prefer Telegram. 

Hangouts is okay, although I'm rarely if ever on it now. 

• Like 7

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

Zoom, Skype, Discord Chat, Twitch, Google Hangouts (or another) which distant connect service do you like best/hate least?  (Which of those do you have xp with?)

I haven’t used Skype in a long time; sp long that I don’t really remember why we shifted remote games over to Google Hangouts.  Hangouts generally works.  I’ve tried Discord chat a few times; no issues.  In the covidity, work has issued us with MS Teams, so I’ve been using that quite a bit.  It’s generally Facetime at home for calls with family.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I've used Skype, Discord and whatever form Google Hangouts was before it was called Hangouts (back in like 2013-2015, was called something else). I haven't used Skype in a long time, but it was always reliable; Google tended to be temperamental for me. I got to use Discord once, in the past few months, and I liked it.

I can only use those when no one else is at the house; when only one device is connected to the network, I can get a connection speed that can handle videoing a single individual. Once other people start to connect devices, or if someone else joins the video chat, Montgomery Scott said it best: "She cannah take any more, Cap'n, I dun't have the power!"

No plans to ever use Zoom. I've watched things on Twitch, but I didn't think that had P2P video call service, thought it was just streaming/broadcast (am I wrong?).

EDIT: One seminar/instructional certification I used at work used a platform called GoToMeeting (this was back in 2012) and I thought that was pretty cool. I never really used its full functions, just sat in on meetings, maybe gave one presentation.

Edited by ManvsMini
thought of more
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

XP with Skype, Twitch and Zoom in that order.  Zoom has had the least hiccups, but that is only in three Reapercon classes.  Twitch has had some but that is only Reaper Live etc.  Skype has had most problems but is also the one I have used most.  For four months we gamed exclusively on Skype.  Before that we gamed with a person in Texas from Ohio for years.  We still have some that do not want to drive for an hour one way to game that Skype in.  These sessions can have problems with rural internet connections that I have not used in twitch and zoom.  I have heard that Zoom has fewer problems because it has no encryption.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I have used Skype in the past.

Have watched a few Twitch sessions ( mainly painting and hobby stuff).

I hate them all equally.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I've done Hnagouts but consistently have problems with sound and/or connection.  Zoom has been ok for the con classes I've taken so far, but mostly the participants are silently watching. Likewise Twitch has been ok for some of the artists streams.  I don't grok Discord. It seems to have the worst features of chat room and video conferencing combined in one confusing mess.  DH and I have been using Google Meet when MMO gaming together.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

We used to all get onto Google Hangouts, it doesn't handle multiple voices well. My old Pathfinder group had good luck with Discord, it was pretty clear. Used Zoom for the very first time yesterday when I watched @OneBoot's Metallics class, it seemed to be pretty smooth and has an interesting layout.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I've tried watching a couple of the Reaper streams on Twitch but it's not my thing.

Never used any of the others.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I use Teams almost every day for work. I've been using Skype for years because it seemed to work best talking with family in Mexico. I occasionally check out Reaper on Twotch and will likely do so quite a bit more over the next couple of days. And I just tried the conference feature in Discord for the first time. I did not realize that was what I was doing, could not figure out how to close it as several people started saying "hello, who are you?" then I panicked and shut my laptop off. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I have to use Zoom for teaching, I dislike it. But I'm learning how to make it dance from my chromebook, where I only have half an operating system to get in my way.

Discord is fairly best even when it has connection issues.

I have to use Skype for IRS work, text only. It stopped working on my computer 2 years ago when I refused to fall for the Windows 10 lure. I bid it 'good riddance' and moved on to a service that actually worked.

Twitch has its issues but it's fine to watch.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

• Been using Skype for years. Nearly always to video chat with family.
  • I've used Zoom for several interviews and family gatherings (hosted by someone else). And since a yesterday, I use it for RCon classes.
  • Twitch I pretty much only use for Reaper stuff. I got free subs through Amazon Prime, but I don't spend much time on it. It's currently the one that also gives me the most lag. However, it's the only one through which I won several gift cards and extra swag.
  • Microsoft Teams. Very little experience with it. Just a couple of job interviews.
  • Google Hangouts. Haven't seen it used by people I know in over a decade.
  • Discord. Been a user since... yesterday. Still trying to figure out the fine details on the fly.

On the first day of RCon Live, for a moment I had Zoom, Twitch and Discord running at the same time.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I have used both Zoom, Skype and Teams in a professional setting. I personally do not care for Zoom, but it isn't terrible. Skype is/was awful. I don't mind Teams but we mostly only use it for text chat not video/streaming. 

I have used Discord only on a personal/private level. I like it, it has it's hiccups but the voice chat and streaming is decent, and it's much easier that setting up and running a Teamspeak or Ventrilo server.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I've only used Zoom, Skype and MS Teams

Skype I used to like, but now particularly dislike - it's too unreliable for what I would need it for.
Teams is good for work due to integration with calendar etc, have to use it pretty much daily with work, and the text chat is also useful

Zoom I use for some work stuff, but that's about it

So in that sense Zoom and Teams are about on par, but the text chat with teams makes WFH a lot easier than it used to be (I've been working from home since before we had teams in our workplace, and it has made things a lot easier...as much as it's a pain sometimes and uses WAY too much RAM for what it is)

• Like 9

I use Skype to deal with vendors, it gets the job done. But it's less face chat and more 'hold camera in machine while programmer in Croatia makes software changes while texting the vendor in Italy'.

I hate Discord, it's (ironically) chaotic to me. We've used it for work, but our video chat stuff was through our phone vendor (using Accession).

• Like 10

14 hours ago, TGP said:

RCon series…

Query for Sept. 4th:

I think I like Twitch best. But Discord has nice features, I just feel lost most of the time. I will need to computer detox soon. As an IT professional I'm getting way too much screentime.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3