Sign in to follow this  
leolson79

Classes recorded for later download?

Hey, y'all.

I'm guessing this question has been answered somewhere before, but given the choice between frantically trying to finish a figure for the painting showcase and digging through the forums... well, here I am.

Will the classes be recorded for download later by participants?  While this would be helpful to be able to go back and review stuff later, I ask mostly because I'll be at work while most of the classes I'm interested in will be going on, which will make participating live rather difficult.  I totally get why they wouldn't be recorded, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

I've been told that none of the Zoom classes will be recorded. All of the Twitch ones will be, though.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Sad 1

I've heard the same as @OneBoot.

Anne talked about it on one of her painting streams on Reaper's Twitch. Can't remember each episode. Many of these painting instructors rely on classes like this, which they put time and effort into creating, to make money. Some even offer classes at cost via other platforms, locations, or in person during different times. They are doing these classes for free for Reaper, but I can understand why some wouldn't want a course that they've designed "out there" for free forever. It might dilute their own course offerings in the future. Why would someone pay for something if it's out there for free? So, while Reaper did initially want to make them all available, they came to a different compromise after talking to the artists. Those that are doing classes on Twitch know and understand that the material will be available later. I've heard Mocha's "Painting with all the colors of the skin" class on Twitch is just a small part of her usual "Multicultural Skintones" class. 

I completely understand the reasons for this, even if it does mean that I have to be watching live for every class and can't go back and review them later. The artists who take the time to put on these classes are the core of ReaperCon. Without them and their willingness to do things like this, ReaperCon wouldn't be what it is. So, if it's important to them that the classes aren't recorded for one reason or another, I'm okay with that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I see this RCO as the prototype/experimental stage for what will eventually continue to come out of the Reaper online evolution. What I see happening (or at least hope will happen) is that the RCO free classes could be recorded and/or the instructors will be able to have ownership of that collateral; resale or paid access to it for those who need/want it. As Dicey and others have pointed out, many of the instructors and artists have their own pay feed sites already that they use as sources of revenue. I think its wholly plausible that the RCO content get recorded and distributed through those channels, at the discretion of the artists. Further, I see that the RCO classes are totally compatible with the paid "in person" model; you get more direct one-on-one interaction in person--for a price. That access was always  very restrictive in both location and quantity; you have to be there, and there were never enough chairs in the classes for everyone that wanted the content. Taking the RCO class gives us the basics and more to try to master the techniques--and to take that progress to a RC class to talk directly to the instructor as a followup. 

On 9/1/2020 at 11:36 PM, Dicey said:

I've heard the same as @OneBoot.

Anne talked about it on one of her painting streams on Reaper's Twitch. Can't remember each episode. Many of these painting instructors rely on classes like this, which they put time and effort into creating, to make money. Some even offer classes at cost via other platforms, locations, or in person during different times. They are doing these classes for free for Reaper, but I can understand why some wouldn't want a course that they've designed "out there" for free forever. It might dilute their own course offerings in the future. Why would someone pay for something if it's out there for free? So, while Reaper did initially want to make them all available, they came to a different compromise after talking to the artists. Those that are doing classes on Twitch know and understand that the material will be available later. I've heard Mocha's "Painting with all the colors of the skin" class on Twitch is just a small part of her usual "Multicultural Skintones" class. 

I agree with this totally--the RCO classes are an incredible way to "tease" or provide a sample of the instructors broader course catalogue. RCO provides a fantastic way to develop following and to capture what is essentially market quantity; "Eyes on". Demonstrate basics, or a truncated but practical set of techniques and then (not) shamelessly plug the artist's paid channels to get more. 

• Like 2