Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Chaos Frogs and Battletoads! (Nolzur Slaads)

Thanks, folks!

18 hours ago, GBPrime said:

Featuring the coloration of actual amphibians.  Nice.

A lot closer to real examples on the green and red--though the black one isn't too far off from some salamanders, I suppose! I'd just gotten some Vallejo neon and needed a test case. 

23 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

The Blue and the Black one are my favorites!

Mine too! I plan to deploy the blue brute in the jungle-swamps of retro-Venus. 

On 9/5/2020 at 5:07 PM, Dmdayv said:

So cool and love the backgrounds 

I appreciate it! Reaper's Dumpster and Cargo Container are super versatile. The Cursed Sky was some scrapbook paper from a craft store.

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      The Froghemoth first appeared as part of an extraterrestrial biome in "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" if memory serves, so a spacefuture setting is, if anything, returning it to its roots. Twisted, coiling, poisonous roots, in the fungal swamps of a jungle hellworld such as Retro-Venus!
      I went for an unwholesome, etiolated color scheme--which blends in pretty well with the rest of the terrain.

More angles: 

This is a big miniature! Here it is towering over some tentacle-faced Cult Beasts from Midlam. They are about hound-sized in scale. The deep scars and tatters on the throat pouch indicate some sort of scarring from combat with others of its species, as rutting sea lions do.

This is a beast too much even for the Beastmasters of the Venerian Amazons to handle alone!

While we're at it, here's another view of the Cultist Beasts

And a Venerian menagerie: 

I plan on getting Mudgullet and making a mate for this one at some point.

• By R2ED
      Here's another that I was practicing on with oil paints mixed in.  I am not sure I have it figured out yet.  I had read that before applying oils, you should do a gloss coat to give a 'protective' layer so you can reset the oil if you need to clear up a mistake.  I'm not sure I'm getting much from that method and may just go straight over the acrylic layer next time.  The gloss coat may only be needed first with the pin washing?  Not sure.  Any help would be loved here.  

That said, there were a few areas that worked great and some that sucked.  

1.  oil wash on back of cape area worked out well with a black 4:1 mix of spirits to paint.  Win.
      2.  The primer I used was an older one and it had a 'chalky' texture to it and prevented much of my washes from settling in only recessed areas.  Fail (but I have since stopped using that primer).  This was just an older project sitting calling my name to finish him.
      3.  I have no idea how to finish that translucent stuff, so I left it on the 'to-do' list and guidance from some of the Reaper forum folks.  No idea what to do with those.
      4.  Horns on his back were a cool mix of brown to light tan.  Win.
      5.  Keeping to darker tones all over.  Red/Green/Purple all were good choices for this slimy guy.  Win.
      6.  Dry brushing a yellow to bring out the bumps on his face was also a good win.  
      7.  Eyes are questionable, but may end up blacking them out to fix them.  Might be more fitting with a 'fish eye' look.  

Love the feedback if you got it!

• By MoonglowMinis
      Hi all!  With the year nearly at its end, this seemed like a great time to share a comparison project to reflect on this past year's growth.

A little over a year ago a painted up my first Beholder, and last month I painted another.  I was particularly proud of the first so it's interesting to see a side-by-side a year apart.

More Below the Spoiler:

It's always fun to compare two similar models that have been painted with time in between.  I'm always impressed by how much I can grow in this hobby in such a short amount of time.  I only painted my first skeleton a little over two years ago.  My confidence in layering has improved and it is now my go-to method of painting.  Drybrushing and Washes are now reserved for specific effects and textures.  My speed has increased, and I feel more comfortable adding freehanded details.

I'm proud of the growth I've had this past year and look forward to the improvements next year brings.  And these guys will be looking forward as well.  And backwards.  And sideways.  Always watching.

How have you improved this year?
    • By Rigel
      Brothers Roberto (03561) and Louis IV (02087) are excellent sculpts suitable for multiple time periods. I've painted a couple of Nuns With Guns and a couple of priests, but not a bishop or a cardinal!

"Your Exellency, I apologize for the short notice. It's worse than we had thought."

"You are forgiven, Bishop. Is it the old Priory at St. Wulfstan's?"

"Indeed. The Creature has at last gotten loose from the bindings put down in 947 and broken through the 16th-century salt rings."

"God in Heaven. I had prayed those wards would outlast me. We knew this day would come."

"Mercifully, we have one of our best men on the scene. God willing he can contain the beast until the rest of the team arrives."

Father Sweeny, again from Artizan's 'Thrilling Tales' line, had better be a man of strong faith and iron will.

The Beast, ornery after centuries of durance :

Hold the line...

(Guest appearances by Fr. Thomas, Sr. Maria, Order of St. George Nun, and Fra Ximenez from Black Cat.)

• By Nial ap Morai
      Tried to paint the Griffon to look like Buckbeak (a hippogriff I could not locate) for a friend’s HP diorama. 

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)