Sign in to follow this  
haldir

2021 A New Hope (early Con chat)

1 hour ago, SamuraiJack said:

I loved virtual ReaperCon, but in person Rcon is my one true vacation every year.. and I miss seeing and talking to those folks I only see there..  I'd love to see more virtual ReaperCon, but maybe not the same weekend because it would be rude to be constantly entering giveaways during classes ;)

*THIS!* I've attended many conventions, both hobby and work related, but RCon is the only one that truly feels like a vacation.

Online, it feels like I'm taking some time out of my daily routine to participate. In person, my time is fully committed to live the event from dawn to dusk (and beyond). And for a few days, the rest of world becomes a distant thought.

• Like 8

I did like the online Reaper Con, do not get me wrong, but Cranky hit the nail on the head. On line..." Oh I I have to be at work in two hours so I will just pop on over and see what is going on."  In person.... "Your short handed today??? Well I could come in to work, but I am over 8hours away.... you may have to pay me drive time...." Sorry that last was a bit of snark on my part.... but yeah 

On 9/24/2020 at 11:07 AM, Cranky Dog said:

*THIS!* I've attended many conventions, both hobby and work related, but RCon is the only one that truly feels like a vacation.

Online, it feels like I'm taking some time out of my daily routine to participate. In person, my time is fully committed to live the event from dawn to dusk (and beyond). And for a few days, the rest of world becomes a distant thought.

that is so true. You can forget all your troubles for a few days.... rent bills, work and their "We know you asked off that day, but.... we really NEED you to work then...... goes to the background. 

• Like 7

I told my work I was going to out of town, full stop. And essentially I was; my body may have been in WA, but my mind and heart were in TX the entire convention. :wub:

Yes, virtual wasn't as good as in person, but overall I enjoyed it better than I expected. And there were actually classes that I think benefitted from the format; I could see everything that TaleSpinner was sculpting, or that Corporea was painting, with zoom even when needed! 

If/when there's another virtual con in the future, I plan to participate again. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

And there were actually classes that I think benefitted from the format; I could see everything that TaleSpinner was sculpting, or that Corporea was painting, with zoom even when needed! 

I really hope that they can incorporate that camera tech to the in person classes. 

I'd also love to see Reaper expand the Reaper U program to throughout the year by offering small online classes periodically.   Imagine a 4-6 week Zoom course with 5-10 students, where we could get some interactions and regular feedback.  @TaleSpinner's sculpting classes would really benefit from a week long "pause" between sessions, and keeping it down to a small group would allow the interaction he thrives on as an instructor.  I'd be willing to pony up $50-100 for a class like that. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I really hope that they can incorporate that camera tech to the in person classes. 

Jon has said that there are absolutely plans to do just that. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

The benefit with in person classes, you can usually get out of you seat and look over the instructor's shoulder. I've done that in many of my classes, with the instructors permission of course.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Humansquish said:

The benefit with in person classes, you can usually get out of you seat and look over the instructor's shoulder. I've done that in many of my classes, with the instructors permission of course.

Most of the instructors I've taken classes from encourage this unless the class is prohibitively huge, and even then they try to work with small groups at a time.
There's only so much that can be seen when a dozen people are trying to look over their shoulder at the same time. Being able to put it up on a big monitor while doing the demo, and then being able to have the instructor look at what you're doing while you're trying to repeat would be the absolute best of both worlds.

• Like 5

Have the actual dates been announced? Boss is being a pain and all time off has to be done at least two weeks in advance, so I want to those put in the new Fandangled app..... Yes I am being a butt about it. 

9 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

Have the actual dates been announced? Boss is being a pain and all time off has to be done at least two weeks in advance, so I want to those put in the new Fandangled app..... Yes I am being a butt about it. 

6 hours ago, haldir said:

Labor day weekend thru 2023.

So unless something changes,

2021-09-02 thru 2021-09-05

2022-09-01 thru 2022-09-04

2023-08-31 thru 2023-09-03

2 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

So unless something changes,

2021-09-02 thru 2021-09-05

2022-09-01 thru 2022-09-04

2023-08-31 thru 2023-09-03

That is what I was figuring. I put those on my calendar, but will not put then into the app just yet. 

17 hours ago, haldir said:

Labor day weekend thru 2023.

The only caveat I can think of is that this is mostly based on the hotel and event space contract. If, for some reason, things are online again, the date could theoretically shift

• Like 1

Well decided to reserve my overnight hotel over in Boise. Figured, eh wth, right? Besides I got a place I've stayed before at a pretty good rate. You can't beat that!! Plus, hey it gives me some optimism going forward!!

So looking at things, I debating runnin rpgs (well besides at least 1 We Be Goblins (whatever adventure) of course) vs running a short miniature tabletop game this time around. The game would be around 1 hr long each time. I'm going to have to debate this now.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2020 at 8:43 PM, Sylverthorne said:

I had a Brilliant Idea for a class somebody could teach.

Painting Ordinance (tanks, vehicles, 'mechs. ..) - probably for people like me for whom the logic doesn't want to go there.

... and now, I wait, with varying degrees of patience, for next year.

what would be great for that would be a class taught by one of the historicals painters, say Doug Cohen or Dan Tisoncik

• Like 3