Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I haven’t been on the forum much this year. Since joining Anne Foerster’s Patreon I’ve been spending more time on Discord.
I’ve been painting this guy following the paintalong she’s done for one of the tiers. It’s the first time I’ve tried to do a “display quality” paint job. Other firsts are NMM, freehand, leather texture, cloth texture, and sculpted base elements.
I actually started this guy early this year, but then stopped painting altogether for about 4 months after the pandemic started. I picked him back up in July and am getting close to finishing. I’m posting a series of pics I’ve taken as I went, and will continue to post as I finish him up soon.
Feb 29: prepped and primed, with some minor GS work
Mar 1: base GS sculpting
— LONG BREAK —
Aug 2: skin lined, basecoated, and shaded
Aug 6: skin initial highlights
An older miniature I started years ago, but finished recently. I think it was mostly the weapons (shading) and dirty shirt missing. I would say the paint job is average, but I do like the miniature.
I decided to go for a simple, but interesting base, featuring a Nolzur's bottle and Thomarillion barrel.
Yar! Ahoy, lads and lasses, it be that time O' year again! A time for all land lubbers to embrace their inner sea dog and set sail. That's right, it be Talk like a Pirate Day again.
So put down yer troubles, and forget all yer squabbles and syntax for a day and lets all raise a cup O' grog or rum in celebration, to all me hearty crew! Arrrr!
I'll be post'n a traditional carol for the day shortly.
Another 3D print that I’m working on, this time a big one. I’ve shied away from buying/printing dragons for the most part as I have a ton of amazing Reaper ones still to paint (or finish... ) but this one was a freebie of sorts from one of the creators I follow on Patreon.
In keeping with my clear resin tricks, I whipped up the base really quickly and then stalled on how I was going to paint the actual dragon... oops!
I masked off the crystals and plugged the holes for the feet and primed it with a mix of brown and grey Vallejo primers, drybrushed it with a tan followed by a tan mixed with white and then it got a series of Vallejo model washes (green, grey and dark brown). I then peeled off the mask and gave the crystals a quick coat with Tamiya Clear Green.
For the actual dragon, the plan now is to paint the heavier scales like the base with the softer belly and flesh being brown.
Like my recent plague doctor bust, I masked his eyes so they will be the same green as the crystals on his base. I toyed with putting a light in his head as well, but seems to be doing that to everything all of a sudden, and skipped it.
in case you’re wondering about the pink, that’s what mixing the Vallejo red and grey primers did. The base was that colour before the drybrush and washes.
Hoping to get some more work on the brown and get the drybrush done on his scales this weekend. That’s going to be a lot of drybrushing!!
Thanks for looking.
I got my Mega Bundle for ReaperCon a few days ago. I was floored by the resin sculpt by Jason Weibe (@GwydionGreen), Dead Men Tell No Tales. I knew immediately that I wanted to paint it; I didn't know though that I wanted to paint it immediately, but I guess I did, as I couldn't stop thinking about it.
Originally, I was going to do it as a challenge, where-by I could only use the paints included in the Mega Bundle...but I have had a change of heart. I had started doing just this, but the lack of yellow choices (Rattlesnake Leather was it) really limited what I could do with mixing, and this is too nice of a sculpt to give it anything but my best.
Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.
I started by cleaning everything and removing the mold lines. The boat was pretty bad and I was forced to remove some of the runes and make it look like weathering to get the mold lines off. The rest was really good though.
Then I primed and started painting. I primed it with Army Painter White. It went on a bit grainy. Maybe my can is getting old. At first, I didn't think it was too bad, but after painting the stone of the throne and the wood of the ship, I got really discouraged. The paint wasn't adhering to the primer right; it was like painting unwashed Bones with diluted paint. It took me an hour just to paint what you see here. Second, the rough texture was really showing up.
So, right now it is soaking in the Simple Green. I hope to get that primer off and try again tonight.
Who's Online 5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)