Sign in to follow this  
Dr Boom

Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut

Probably the single model that had me most excited from Kickstarter 4, Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut has always sparked my imagination, from first reading about it in the original AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide (before I even knew who Baba Yaga was), to tracking down the old adventure in back issues of Dragon Magazine, to Pathfinder's treatment of it as a dimensional nexus in the Reign of Winter adventure path. This was a must have add on in the kickstarter.

I was very happy with it when it arrived, although I was a bit disappointed that the legs came pre-glued. Space has stopped me from getting in and painting it, however, I've found a use for it in my Dreadmir campaign. Baba Smolluk has decided to try to emulate the Queen of Crones and build her own dancing hut, partially explaining what all the chickens are for. When the party encounter it, it's just a normal ramshackle hut in the woods, however when they explore the basement, they find the (for now inanimate) legs hanging down. I'm planning to leave it open to them whether they want to complete Baba Smolluk's work once they deal with her.

So, detachable legs would have been nice. I figure this might be a good place to put those sheets of neodynium magnets I picked up at Daiso to work.

Additionally, the hut has a bit of an unfortunate lean to it . . .

BYDHForum01.thumb.jpg.d6c121852fbd59cbfd2fa6bb1a564f4b.jpgBYDHForum02.thumb.jpg.ea86208f39a2129cbf65c5f0b1ef1654.jpg

While the idea of the hut looming over the party and "peering" down at them is appealing, it can't stand upright like this and you lose a lot of the detail.

Cutting the legs off, I found this:

BYDHForum03.thumb.jpg.c9a0a86438cfee048b829a3ce066438b.jpg

Of course they would be hollow. That's going to make placement of the magnets a little challenging.

(Nasty collateral damage there from the saw, however I figure I can cover most of that up with paint and it won't be super visible on the finished model).

Cutting the legs off made them easy to straighten using boiling / ice water:

BYDHForum04.thumb.jpg.4ab1dd4cd84ea3ddbdedf5bf69ba60bb.jpgBYDHForum05.thumb.jpg.606e7ef086dd5fe32b8afb2957d751e0.jpg

Time to do a bit of filling. There are probably better options than using my entire household supply of green stuff, however I wanted something readily available and which I could drill and glue the same as the black bonesium. The finished product:

BYDHForum06.jpg.53f1ae0a35a109cef3a50badd9a21ba2.jpgBYDHForum07.jpg.83e2af725a18131a3151c54ff0cf299d.jpg

Now to let that set and stick the magnets in. I considered pushing them in while the putty was soft, however I wasn't convinced about how well they'd hold into the matrix, and getting them aligned while it was still setting would have been a pain.

Edited by Dr Boom
  • Like 13

Magnets installed:

BYDHForum08.thumb.jpg.18110ffe7da17ba5b759f83df64d8595.jpg

That lower hole on the Right leg was drilled a little deep, but they're fairly powerful little magnets.

Here's what the newly straightened legs look like attached to the hut:

BYDHForum09.thumb.jpg.8f5a6dadb09d2195d0fa8661f5dd1cd8.jpg

They're not perfectly flush, but they are held on fairly firmly. I'm planning to do two bases - one with the hut flat on the ground (probably MDF) and the other for the legs (huge gaming base because it'll be a bit lighter) and I'll attach these with magnets as well. The magnets also make a good way to attached things to painting handles.

The hut still has a little lean, but I think that's intentional because it seems to be picking the left foot up slightly. There are still a few warped bits (eg. the railing), but I figure that matches with Baba Yag's view on the world.

I'll put this on the back burner until the holidays, then get stuck in.

• Like 9

With the weight of the hut I feared mine leaning again. I drilled holes through the legs and cut a metal clothes hanger to mount in them. It helped a ton with the lean and made a great spot to mount to the base.

Looking forward to seeing this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

MAGNETS!!! That is such a cool idea, giving this wonderful piece some additional usefulness. Plus, I love the idea of just popping on the legs in front of the players and watching the expression on their faces :lol:

• Thanks 1