Sign in to follow this  
Kangaroorex

some recommended short situation supplements?

My current group is starting to grow in level and playing experience and one of the things they have been asking for are some small lair/location encounters.  I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on some good pre-fab encounter books that I can modify to meet my needs as the situation arises.  basically looking for a map some background maybe a short mystery and some monsters to fill it with a bunch of them in one package to choose from.  can be electronic or print and I can use any addition but as I design my own, everytime I have something laid out, the party goes off on another tangent.

The setting is costal near hill country if that's any help.  Its a frontier only partially explored with an ancient civilization providing ruins and new colonies that are about 100 years old at this point but haven't grown much due to wars and other problems in the old world.

Many thanks!

• Like 3

I don't think the problem is your home-grown encounters, it's keeping the group focused and on-target.  One way to help with that is by having defined targets and deadlines. 

For example:  party wanders into a small village that treats them warily and with distrust. They find out that people have gone missing and a feral vampire is believed to have moved into nearby caves.  The village wise man thinks it will strike again tonight, since it is a new moon.  The party now has roughly 12 hours to find and kill this beast.   Every so often, tell them another hour has passed.   If they go off target, hit them with consequences.  Some village children disappear.  Maybe they find one in a field drained of blood.  Maybe they discover evidence of multiple vampires. Maybe the villagers turn on them and drive them out, leaving them easy prey in the wilderness for the vampire and its spawn. 

• Like 4

Sine Nomine Publishing, Red Tide Campaign Sourcebook and Sandbox Toolkit.

For $8,  the toolkit is well worth the money.  There's some campaign-specific terms, but everything is very compatible.  The supplement itself is written for Labyrinth Lord rules, but any half-decent GM can substitute "1d6 cultists" for something else.

A quick example of a "borderland site":

d10 = 10 = Trading Post

Add 1 "tags"  d4 + d10 = 4, 8 = Uncertain Title,  then 2, 6 = Faded Glory

Each tag has a selection of Enemies, Friends, Complications, Things, and Places

So, enemy = greedy treasure hunter, ambitious noble

Friends = curious antiquarian, young farmer starting a homestead

Complications= a sudden rush of outsiders pour in to claim treasures (gold rush),

Things = Ancient Treasure seems to work,

Places = huts made from strange ancient building material, tumbled boundry stones

So a trading post in the middle of the wilderness.  The "lord" of the place is an aging man who built the place outside of the nobles' power . . . but the lord is running out of money, the nobles back in more civilized areas want a piece of the action, and to top if off word has filtered out that an ancient ruin holds vast amounts of treasure, bringing an influx of new adventurers and grifters . . . er, settlers.  One of these is Mattias, a young man recently arrived with his bride who is trying to build a homestead at the edge of the the site, near some tumbled boundry stones that may or may not prove important for later land claims. (The tags serve as inspiration, and you don't have to use them if you've got enough ideas already.)

There are adventure hooks that take some time to flesh out, but there's enough there for an hour's worth of interaction before the PCs wander off to find that treasure . . . which can be created with the Ruins toolkit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

I don't think the problem is your home-grown encounters, it's keeping the group focused and on-target.  One way to help with that is by having defined targets and deadlines. 

For example:  party wanders into a small village that treats them warily and with distrust. They find out that people have gone missing and a feral vampire is believed to have moved into nearby caves.  The village wise man thinks it will strike again tonight, since it is a new moon.  The party now has roughly 12 hours to find and kill this beast.   Every so often, tell them another hour has passed.   If they go off target, hit them with consequences.  Some village children disappear.  Maybe they find one in a field drained of blood.  Maybe they discover evidence of multiple vampires. Maybe the villagers turn on them and drive them out, leaving them easy prey in the wilderness for the vampire and its spawn. 

Yes I am capable of herding.  But my goal is a living breathing world of mystery and story I want them to stumble into something interesting and I don't want to have to think about the design.  For cavern encounters I've been using 1 shot dungeon to provide the bones for the encounter but that doesn't work when i want the lonely inn by the forest or the ruin of some mysterious temple.  Im sort of looking for places i can put in my world and insert characters at need.  I  don't want to spend a week drawing and populating an inn so the pcs can have a 10 min interaction. But i also want something there of they want to pull the paper off the walls 

I want them to wander off and discover something and be left wondering it that was a random encounter or part of the main plot.  (Or maybe did they find something they weren't supposed to?  I like to keep the party guessing but I know If I make the plot too complex they will lose the thread but if the frayed ends all Peter out then they can always find the plot without feeling like they are being driven in that direction.

In a dungeon setting their choices are limited.  Outside where they wind up is foretold, how they get there is not.  So to use the inn as an example, if they get into a brawl and roll into a room, that room should have an occupant who can interact, but i have no desire to design all this (well time really, if i had the time i probably would enjoy it)

The encounter  should never be 'you run into a pack of gnolls' those gnolls need purpose and a reason to be there.

In traveller, for example I have a book which has a bit of everything- tavern, manor, ruins, trading post, derelict spaceship, etc.  Each piece has a description some suggested names, some population descriptions, 2 paragraphs of story, a few plot hooks and a map.  Its perfect but doesn't work for fantasy.  Looking for something similar in a fantasy setting.

The big plot exists, the main encounters exist.  Its the little pieces of mortar that hold the wall together i want, and i sort of want the flesh, not the bones 

So, anyone seen a magic bullet?::D:

6 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

For 5th Edition D&D?

I know SlyFlourish was working on something of the sort, called Fantastic Lairs, no idea if that's come out yet.

I saw that Kickstarter but lost the name.  That might be what I'm after 

And edition doesnt really matter, I want the setting not the stats

• Like 1

I know a place to get an emergency pop-up dungeon map:

https://watabou.itch.io/one-page-dungeon

Example:

A3568E1C-473E-4C07-B993-889F16A2A66A.thumb.jpeg.5de07b8589452401c9bfbcdf43cc73bc.jpeg

The same guy that did this ^ generator also had (maybe still has) a nifty town maker. 

9C226241-A34F-4307-AD06-DD4C8D722A45.thumb.jpeg.4cefa9c03cca0a0402cd68cafcbf7c87.jpeg

Correction: he also has generators for town/cities (I set the one above to “Small”), villages, and mansions. 

His site will give a fast source of visuals with minimal amounts words to go with them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TGP said:

I know a place to get an emergency pop-up dungeon map:

https://watabou.itch.io/one-page-dungeon

Example:

A3568E1C-473E-4C07-B993-889F16A2A66A.thumb.jpeg.5de07b8589452401c9bfbcdf43cc73bc.jpeg

The same guy that did this ^ generator also had (maybe still has) a nifty town maker. 

9C226241-A34F-4307-AD06-DD4C8D722A45.thumb.jpeg.4cefa9c03cca0a0402cd68cafcbf7c87.jpeg

Correction: he also has generators for town/cities (I set the one above to “Small”), villages, and mansions. 

His site will give a fast source of visuals with minimal amounts words to go with them. 

this is the program I use for little side dungeons for the last month or so.  nice little program!  I did not realize he had one for city maps too.  I will have to look into it.

34 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Check out all the stuff Dyson Logos has on his blog:

https://dysonlogos.blog/maps/

I will take a look at this and see what is there.

• Like 3