Sign in to follow this  
odinsgrandson

Cell Shaded Battletech

I like them. The first one looks strikingly like it stepped out of a classic animation cell.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

So now I’m deadly curious.... There were Battletech cartoons?

In the mid ‘90’s, there was a BattleTech cartoon series that lasted 12 or 13 episodes. Where I lived at the time, the local station showed it at 6:30 am Saturday morning.

I’m not sure who has the original material and/or the animation license, so it’s probably lost to the ages.  The 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook contains info about it.

Anyway, the minis look good!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

In the mid ‘90’s, there was a BattleTech cartoon series that lasted 12 or 13 episodes. Where I lived at the time, the local station showed it at 6:30 am Saturday morning.

I’m not sure who has the original material and/or the animation license, so it’s probably lost to the ages.  The 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook contains info about it.

Anyway, the minis look good!

look up “Battletech the Animated Series” on YouTube.  Someone always has all the episodes up somewhere, but certainly not with license...

And yeah, great paint jobs, they’re right out of the show, from the cheesy colors of the Bushwacker down to the ray traced green.  Excellent idea to fade between the two, by the way.

No guts, no galaxy!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, odinsgrandson said:

These old Battletech miniatures were painted using some fairly recent techniques I’ve generally seen referred to as “Comic Book Style Painting.”

In addition to normal dark lining, I added dark edging to areas that would normally be the highest highlights on the minis. This creates an interesting cell shaded effect.

These particular minis were painted to match the old (and adequagely cheesy) Battletech Cartoons. Sometimes, they would forgo normal animation to employ then-state-of-the-art computer generated animation with everything outlined in green. This is why these minis are all in a transition state between the two styles.

battletech1.jpg?i=1602987158&width=753&h

Battletech2.jpg?i=1967066377&width=753&h

battletech3.jpg?i=812183284&width=753&he

The pics are not visible to me.

And now they are!

Awesome stuff!

Edited by Glitterwolf

1 hour ago, Peithetairos said:

Superb cell shaded look. Love the idea and the execution is top notch. I also saw it with cross hatching. Pretty cool trend.

Yeah, the cross hatching works for the old comic book style (and I remember some really nice busts at Reapercon last year painted this way). Since I was going for '90s cartoon, I didn't do that.

What I'm mostly wondering about is how much contrast can the technique take before it stops working. These minis were all done with relatively low contrast areas so that they'd appear more flat (not completely flat, but more than what is expected). I've seen some done with obvious layers in their shading instead, and that works well too so long as you get the lines super sharp.

I've got a few Starcadia minis that I'm doing right now with lots of really dark black lining and edging, but with my normal high contrast, so we'll see how that turns out.

12 hours ago, GBPrime said:

look up “Battletech the Animated Series” on YouTube.  Someone always has all the episodes up somewhere, but certainly not with license...

And yeah, great paint jobs, they’re right out of the show, from the cheesy colors of the Bushwacker down to the ray traced green.  Excellent idea to fade between the two, by the way.

No guts, no galaxy!

That idea goes to my client, actually. When he first described it to me, I told him it wouldn't work, that the two styles weren't compatible enough for the transition.

But when I got the minis in hand, I realized I was wrong, so I went with it. We were both happy with the results.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 2