Sign in to follow this  
Russell

Redundancy Notice/COVID Layoff

Yesterday my boss informed me that hours are being cut across the board due to covid.  I was given nine hours per week or full support looking for a new and different job.  So I don't know how long it will take or how much I'll end up making in a new position, but for now mini purchases are going to have to be on hold.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 25

3 minutes ago, Russell said:

Yesterday my boss informed me that hours are being cut across the board due to covid.  I was given nine hours per week or full support looking for a new and different job.  So I don't know how long it will take or how much I'll end up making in a new position, but for now mini purchases are going to have to be on hold.  

Good luck!

I hope you'll find something suitable soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Russell said:

I was given nine hours per week or full support looking for a new and different job.

What exactly does "full support" mean/entail to this company? Just assistance finding a new job, or that plus some amount of monetary compensation until finding a new one?

That really sucks, I'm sorry.

• Like 5

Where I work is doing OK, but the place across the street just cut 20% of their workforce this week (130 jobs) and a plant on the other side of town announced they are closing permanently due to lost sales (another 100 jobs).

• Sad 8

8 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

What exactly does "full support" mean/entail to this company? Just assistance finding a new job, or that plus some amount of monetary compensation until finding a new one?

That really sucks, I'm sorry.

Full support will likely be positive work reviews and letters of reference.  Honestly, this region is so tightly connected socially I probably don't need anything from them.  My wife has multitudinous contacts.  I'm not worried about finding work, just worried about how long it may take.  I want it now!

Auberon, I hope your work continues to do OK.  One would think that my work, the death industry, would be doing well in this time, too.  Thinking about the job losses in your town, though, is heartbreaking.  That many jobs gone will have a tremendous impact on people.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Russell said:

[some] ...would think that my work, the death industry, would be doing well in this time, too.

Are you a forensic scientist, a coffin builder, a funeral director...?

I watch the news. But I routinely “Roll to Disbelieve”.

The total raw number of people who died (In the US) from all causes the previous two years (2018 and 2019) was:

2,723,456 +

=========== for a grand total of

5,500,000 or so. 

5.5 million folks. 

The CDC attributed 184,000~ deaths to the virus as of last week. 

Expected losses in a normal year are around 2,750,000,  a number that dwarfs 184,000.

So, not really, it is not bumping that total up very much.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Are you a forensic scientist, a coffin builder, a funeral director...?

I watch the news. But I routinely “Roll to Disbelieve”.

The total raw number of people who died (In the US) from all causes the previous two years (2018 and 2019) was:

2,723,456 +

=========== for a grand total of

5,500,000 or so. 

5.5 million folks. 

The CDC attributed 184,000~ deaths to the virus as of last week. 

Expected losses in a normal year are around 2,750,000,  a number that dwarfs 184,000.

So, not really, it is not bumping that total up very much.

At the risk of this going beekeepers in a real hurry, this is one of the more callous statements I think I've read. 

A 10% increase in mortality in the US? Eh, just a number.  Current population in the us is ~331million.  ~200k/300m = .06%.  Not really statistically significant.

Tell that to the people who didn't need to die from this.  Tell that to the families left behind.  YOU go tell them their loved ones weren't worth that much.

You're currently dismissing the equivalent of the ENTIRE population of Salt Lake City, Utah being dead.

:angry::grr:

Edited by Mckenna35
Fixed spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Mckenna35 said:

one of the more callous statements I think I've read. 

Agreed. I would also plead guilty to  Dispassionate, Objective, Analytical. 

Tone is sometimes impossible to convey over the internet. Think of my remarks as if Spock or Tuvok or some other Vulcan character from Star Trek had presented those numbers. Flat and emotionless. 

Tell that to the people who didn't need to die from this.  Tell that to the families left behind. 

I might yet become one of the Didn’t Need To Die. I am not in any of the low-risk categories. 

...tell them their loved ones weren't worth that much.

I would not say that. I did not intend  to say that in the earlier message. And I apologize if  I angered you. 

All of it does make me sad if I let emotions get control. 

The point of the earlier message was only to explain why Russel’s business (not sure quite what it was: cemetery  management?) was not in such high demand, like he would have expected.  And to show that news, as reported, is a bit slanted toward panic on this topic. 

~~~~~

Where did you find 331 million? I found one source that stated 327 million. (But I forgot to check the population clock website ...an error on my part.)

• Like 4

In terms of pure numbers, I found TGP's post interesting in the same emotionally disconnected state I try to use at work.  Don't think of me as Spock though.  I do occasionally cry with the families I'm working with.  (Yes, cemetery management is a good description.)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Where did you find 331 million? I found one source that stated 327 million. (But I forgot to check the population clock website ...an error on my part.)

Just did a quick Google search "what is the population of the united states 2020" and that was the number it came up with.

Edited by Mckenna35
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Russell said:

Sorry to hear that.  My husband got the same news back in March (but was fortunate to find new work quickly).  Many in the company were given zero hours (allowed to keep insurance and benefits until the relocated).  Some of my married friends are down to a single income in the family.  Good luck in the job search. 

• Like 6

This post will likely be closed soon, but...    

Everyone talks about how 'few' have died of COVID...

The last number I saw for the USA was 200K.

With 7Million testing positive. 

That's about 2%of the population testing positive. 

Assume that the 'dark numbers' is 10x, that 20% of the population is COVID positive. That means only 1/5th of the total population has been exposed. If the numbers follow the same curve, you could be looking at 800K - 1Million dead before this is over.

And without the precautions, the virus would have spread much faster. As it is, most hospitals have the capacity and equipment to deal with the critical cases. 

Spain had horrible numbers in the beginning because they got flooded with critical cases that needed respirators, and those were in short supply. 

They had to choose who could get life-saving treatments or not. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4