Redundancy Notice/COVID Layoff

Lot of folks are hurting on the economic front. It's unfortunate. We tend to focus on the direct effects of the virus because they're so specific and immediate while understating damage occurring quietly off the center stage. There aren't a lot of easy answers.

• Like 4

As if the direct effects from this Broccoli virus aren't bad enough, Yelp is saying that, based on their calculations, 60% of small businesses are closed for good.

That's a lot of hopes and dreams shattered and an incredibly mind boggling amount of payroll that isn't being met.  Even when we get a handle on the virus, the economic aftershocks are going to take multiple years to recover from.

GEM

• Like 5
  • Sad 3
9 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

If the numbers follow the same curve, you could be looking at 800K - 1Million dead before this is over.

Unless one of the three vaccine candidates becomes available in 4-5 months and works. 

• Like 2

One issue that has been slowing the containment process has been the lack of enough tests...    

Do you know what the Chinese did?

They combined blood samples, mixed them in batches of 5, and tested each batch. If the test showed negative all 5 are assumed free of infection, and if the test showed positive, they ran individual tests. 

The US responded late, and when it did, it just about shut everything down. That's killing off small businesses. 

here we responded a bit earlier, but after the first panic, and some routines were in place, most places were open to business again. 

I've had my hair cut once, had a regular checkup at the dentist...  

Most people doesn't bother with masks, we just keep a bit more distance. 

The busses have been running until now(in the start, we had to enter and leave through the rear door, and ticketing was more on the honour system, but now we enter at the front and ticketing is back to normal. )

On the ferry, the crew doesn't go around selling tickets any more. They just walk around with a cell-phone and take snaps of license plates. 

They're basically running a new system manually.(Autopass. It's already in use in toll booths all over, but it's being extended to ferries. It normally works using cameras and antennas mounted high up to scan passing cars for an active Chip and plate number if there's no chip. The chip means pre-paid account. Everyone else gets a bill in the post later) 

So on ferries, the ticketing is now less of a chore, and disembarking the cars goes faster. (They used 'control cards' that the driver had to hold out the window for one of the crewmember to take while disembarking. There was typically 3 crewmen handling this on a ferry if there was room for 2 lanes. Now one man can do all the directing himself and the cars can move faster.)

It's killing off some passenger boat routes, though. Because the new system only ticket per car, not passengers, but that was happening in a couple of years anyways. 

• Like 5

Sometimes the fact that the US is a bunch of semi-independent states really shows.  Where I am we have most businesses open, including restaurants.  the hair stylists and barbers are back cutting hair again and, with a couple of exceptions life is returning to normal.  Those exceptions are that fast food places are still take out only, masks are required and universal and there is no personal contact.  We also haven't had any increase in cases.

on the other hand a couple of states over, they are in practical lock down.  I believe most of the reason is exposure density.  this area, for whatever reason, never had an initial influx of cases and those cases were contained (more by luck and circumstance than any active measures) so the pool of virus isn't very deep. 

I cant say there is any commentary here, just pointing out how different things can be in different areas of the US. 

• Like 7

Drat! My sister's household got hit by the virus.

• Middle spawn (16, high school), tested positive but recovered.
  • Eldest spawn (18, college), tested negative
  • Youngest spawn (13 same high school), tested negative.
  • Brother in law, tested positive.
  • Sister, tested positive.

It's a class mate of the middle one that was positive. He got tested, but the parents sent him back to school before they got the results. So his whole class year got in contact and forced in quarantine. So my sister wasn't the vector.

Though if it was my sister, it wouldn't be surprising. She's a nursing teacher, so spends time in both hospitals and her college. Though she  and her students wearing both face masks, face shields, and the disposable gowns (far more strict than most other institutions).

Family has been in self-seclusion since September 20th.

Edit: I confused which of my nephews caught it. And my sister gave me some clarifications on how it happened.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Sad 12
16 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Drat! My sister's household got hit by the virus.

• Eldest spawn (18, college), tested positive but recovered.
  • Other two (13 and 16, high school), tested negative.
  • Brother in law, tested positive.
  • Sister, tested positive.

Regarding my sister, it's somewhat unsurprising. She's a nursing teacher, so spends time in both hospitals and her college. Even with her and her students wearing both face masks, face shields, and the disposable gowns.

Hope they will all recover without troubles.

• Like 2