Sign in to follow this  
Makiiir

Problem with reaper metallic paints

Hope someone can help me but i have a silver and a gold reaper metallic paint and for whatever reason the finish on both is dull/dead with grey/white areas where i would expect the shine to be located.

Example is how my gold is turning out, silver paint on this model is not by reaper.

I shook the bottle with a professional shaker for 1min and it didnt change the finish.

IMG_20200917_220158.jpg

IMG_20200917_220328.jpg

• Like 2

Did you use the true metallic paints or the NMM paints?

I love Reaper paints, but to be honest, for metallics I use Scale 75, the best metallics in the field imho.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Out of curiosity, which sku was the paint? 

09449 dragon bronze, weird thing is i went over it with a layer of gloss varnish and it fixed it a little bit not 100% but at least i can salvage it.

Idk if its possible but mbe the paint didnt get any gloss medium in it?

• Like 2

I think it might be more about what was under it.  Like @Gadgetman! was saying.  It looks like it may have been primed/based grey.  Reaper metallics show up better over a darker base.  Ideally something like black for silvers, and something a bit brown for golds.  The metallics are slightly translucent.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MoonglowMinis said:

I think it might be more about what was under it.  Like @Gadgetman! was saying.  It looks like it may have been primed/based grey.  Reaper metallics show up better over a darker base.  Ideally something like black for silvers, and something a bit brown for golds.  The metallics are slightly translucent.

It was zennithalp primevallejo black w grey over top, thanks for tips

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Makiiir said:

It was zennithalp primevallejo black w grey over top, thanks for tips

That might be the culprit.  In my experience, zennithal and reaper metallics don't play nice.  I would recommend re-basing the spots you plan on painting metallic after you zenithal and before applying metallics.  Metal doesn't always follow zenithal lighting anyways.

All paints behave differently though, so you may find that some cover just fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip on Scale 75 as a replacement for Reaper metallics.  I too have decided that I need to move on to other metallics;  ones that are more predictable and consistent.

• Like 1

Vallejo also makes good metallic paint.

I love Reaper paint, but their metallics are pretty poor. Or at least the ones I have are, and I only have older SKUs of their metallics. I tend to stick to standard Reaper paint now. Don't use metallics much fortunately so it isn't much of an issue.

• Like 1

The Bones metallics are much better than the original MSP, but I'm not going to argue that other brands can be even better.  I do prefer Bones over, say, P3 since the P3 metallic paints fall out of suspension in about 2 minutes.  

Out of curiosity, how many coats did you do?  Dragon Bronze is from the Bones line and it shouldn't be awful, but I don't have a bottle to compare.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I do prefer Bones over, say, P3 since the P3 metallic paints fall out of suspension in about 2 minutes. 

Can't comment on the Bones paints, but I love the P3 metallics. The trick is to thin them with matte medium instead of water (I use Liquitex).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have heard good things about Scale75 and ProAcryl metallics, but my personal go-to so far has been Vallejo Metal Color.

Extremely finely ground (no sparkle effect), and very good coverage over either a black or white base. The downside is while the silver ranges are extensive, the Copper/Golds are limited. The Gold is a Green-Gold vs. your atypical fantasy Orange-Gold. A drop of Orange ink can correct that.

• Thanks 1

I have dragon bronze as well and found the same issues. What I found was that the milky white patches occurred with any thinning and if not used immediately after shaking. I had to shake it vigorously and apply some straight away, and quite thickly to get the shiny proper colour. It's a nice colour then but having to put it on thick obscures some details. I have citadel, scale75, vallejo model colour and vallejo air metallics and all work better, but scale75 metallics are definitely the best I've tried for brush on application. My preference is scale75 for metallics and reaper msp/bones for anything matte. The reaper paints are amazing for most colours, especially flesh tones, but their metallics aren't great (I think I heard because they try to avoid toxic substances it limits what they can use?)

• Like 1