Sign in to follow this  
Venun

Color Shift

Hi all. I've been seeing these amazing miniature results with Color Shift paints.

Now I'm wondering, which brands are advised in that?

As far as I'm aware Reaper doesn't have color shift paints themselves.

I found Valejo Color Shift, 3 types, but they all say they're meant for the airbrush.

How well would they work if brushed on?

Any experiences / tips / other form of comments? Please, let me know =) 

• Like 3

Search on "Sword 'n' Steele Shifters Review" for their comments on using a brush. 

• Like 4

I've used the Vallejo ones.

This guy:-

xB51xcR.jpg

Had his tail painted with their Green, Blue, Violet mix (I think), it went on fine with a brush, but took a lot of experimentation to get it to work as doing pretty much anything to it ruins the effect. 

Plus, you've gotta finish it off with gloss varnish.

• Like 6

I've tried the Greenstuff World, Vallejo and Instar(UK company) colourshift paints and all of them perform better with an airbrush, although you can get passable results with a small, flat synthetic brush. They are very thin, need multiple layers and all of them seem to work better over a dark basecoat. 

My advice is that you should try and pick up single bottles from the various ranges and see how you like the way that they perform. 

• Like 5

I've used the Folk Art ones from the craft store.  You can't beat the price! ::): They seem to work ok.  As Kuroneko says, they're thin, and need multiple coats.  Also find it effective to use them over base coat of a similar regular paint color

colorshift_1.jpg

fullsizeoutput_44af.jpeg

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 10

I used Greenstuffworlds ones by brush on this fella here

The paint is very thin and goes on easy. I did have to put a lot of thin layers on to get the full effect (5+ I seem to remember!) & it needs to be painted over a gloss black primer ideally.

Allright, cool! I've got some reading / testing to do.

Reason I'm asking is I've still let Argent stand unpainted due to not having a proper planning for him.

Slapping some silver on him does not seem right. I want him to be proper platinum or special, and these colorshift paints seem to be able to help on that

• Like 1

The folk art ones can actually be really fun. I encouraging testing them out with washes of unusual colors. Also they are thin and appear differently over different base coats. You can get a cool effect if you paint it over a dark surface with a light drybrush. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There's also the Folk Art dragonfly paints that are often marketed as a color shift option, but they aren't something you really want for most minis work, I've had a few good results with them when trying for an obviously magical effect, but it's very hard to do properly on a mini and they are a pain to deal with anyway. Their Color Shift ones are great though.

• Like 1

I’m testing the Turbo Shift out myself. Trying to airbrush with it. Seams it’s gotta be thinned a bunch but still having clogging crept full open with lots of flow aid. 

So the Turbo Dork color shift I purchased was indeed a bad bottle. I couldn’t get the bottle to stop clogging even though I added flow improver to the bottle and ran it through the vortex mixer. 

they sent me a new bottle and it ran through the airbrush nicely. 

D7BD1634-4A12-42C2-B767-4DADC521FDC5.jpeg

4A51C6EF-33C1-4ABC-84E4-3C6CB50CBEF0.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks good.  I better better looking in person than the photo also.

And I really wish the Clockwork Dragon's wings were spread out more!

On 10/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, Harrek said:

And I really wish the Clockwork Dragon's wings were spread out more!

That seems to be the most common modification done to said dragon. 

• Like 1