Jump to content

Mages of Dalend: Tower Staff Conversion

Recommended Posts

Last year/this spring I painted up a force for myself based on the kingdom of Dalend in my role-playing setting of Iskitaan.  When I went to use that force recently for a game of Song of Blades and Heroes, I realized I had no mages. 

This, of course, required a shopping trip to the Reaper website, where I picked out these two:


So why is this in the sculpting section?  Well, that's because I've got a "simple" conversion planned, and I'm hoping to get the thoughts on the best way to go about it from a couple of the pros around here. 

The theme of my Dalend force is that they all have capes and shields, like these two:


While these mages have capes, they don't have shields upon which to put the tower symbol.  So I am going to incorporate the tower by sculpting it in 3d on the top of each staff. 

So here is how I think I'm going to do them, unless someone has a better idea/sees problems/has advice on various steps:

- start with a plastic rod or tube
- use my drill as make shift lathe to rough in the shape of the tower
- cover it with a thin layer of ProCreate and smooth it out

- press/carve the stone work into the putty
- let cure, then drill a hole (if I didn't use a tube) into the bottom of the towers and glue them to the top of the staff. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got a chance to work on this again. 


Found a piece of plastic tubing about the right size among my hobby supplies and slipped it into my makeshift lathe:20200924_191248.thumb.jpg.62c00d603d24a1ec548e321f89b83e86.jpg


Found that it was a little too flexible,  but fortunately I found a piece of brass wire that was the exact diameter to fit inside.  I cut that a bit short so that I'd have a hole to mount the tower on the staff with.


After turning. 



I was originally going to put a layer of putty over this, but I'm pretty happy with it as is, so I went ahead and mounted it on Joeliyn's staff:



I will use some putty for the crenulations on the battlement.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

But, to be honest, it seems a little bulky.

That just means she fits in with 95% of the minis out there. ::):


15 minutes ago, Brother Jim said:

Especially if she wants them to feel like they've had a building dropped on them.

Funny you should say that. 

The history of the kingdom of Dalend involves a famous siege, in which a demi-goddess named Cerelia used a powerful magic sword named WallBreaker to end the siege, by bringing the walls down upon the attackers. 

This is why their symbol is a tower. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...