Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Baugi

Reaper Paints in Canada?

Recommended Posts

Hey all!  Does anyone know of a Canadian company that sells Reaper paints online?  I'm running out of a couple of my more crucial colours, and finding RMS paints in the Vancouver area in person seems to be near impossible.  Other brands are pretty well represented, but not my Reaper.  I know I could easily just order the ones I need from the online store here, but between the relative weakness of the Canadian dollar at the moment and the high probability of getting dinged with duty charges as packages cross the border, I'm looking for other options.  I'd rather not have to switch to another brand due to scarcity!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MeepleMart is one that comes to mind, although not sure on how their selection is at this time. 

 

Also, more than likely you would not be assessed duty fees, especially on a paint order (paints are made in the US, and therefore various trade agreements mean no duties on such), but you would however be required to pay any taxes on the package as such is required on all packages being imported into the country. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... customs and taxes are a byzantine mess that more or less only vaguely cleaves to real world logic.  That said, however, if you should find yourself compelled to order from the US Reaper store it may help you to know that I have found that keeping orders under $85 US and spacing them a minimum 2 weeks apart usually (and by usually I mean almost always) results in no taxes (HST or GST) being assigned.  Can't do much about the exchange rate, but this method does qualify you for some swag, two free figures, and free shipping (Free Shipping is at $75 for Canada) so honestly that makes up for a good bit of what you lose on exchange.  Note that you can also use the UK portal to order from, and this may allow for a much higher pre-tax order total.  I have not yet tested out the Reaper UK store (I always forget) but I do order a lot from other places in Nottingham and so long as they come Royal Mail I've hit as high as $400 US equivalent without even a glance from customs.  This may be due to some special intra-commonwealth VAT trade agreements, but I don't know for sure.  A courier service, from any country, will automatically have taxes levied.  This is because they fill out the paperwork for cross-border themselves for efficiency.

 

All that said, AFAIK (since nobody has told me any different) RAFM/Silver Fox is still Reaper's Canadian distributor so you could try them.  But, again, because of the free shipping + goodies from the US site I've never really found it to be worth my while unless they have old stock no longer available from the main Reaper site.  Depending on your regular spending habits, $85 may be either inconveniently chonky or inconveniently light, but I find if I time my orders with enough months in between to build up a list then hitting the $80 threshold for the free stuff and free shipping gets pretty easy.  It is, overall, my recommended course of action as a cost/benefit thing, unless you need to buy a big ol paint set above the limit, in which case the UK site may be useful.  If an opportunity prevails for me to buy a paint set from the UK, and I remember to do so, it would be nice to get a solid answer on whether it works like I think it ought to.  

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super helpful responses, both.  Thanks guys.  I'll try the $ limit Buglips and see how she goes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, mate. I bear no enmity to my Canadian and UK cousins, but VAT is such a murky mess that I often just avoid buying from them all together. I hope you are able to get the paints you need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Baugi said:

Hey all!  Does anyone know of a Canadian company that sells Reaper paints online?  I'm running out of a couple of my more crucial colours, and finding RMS paints in the Vancouver area in person seems to be near impossible.  Other brands are pretty well represented, but not my Reaper.  I know I could easily just order the ones I need from the online store here, but between the relative weakness of the Canadian dollar at the moment and the high probability of getting dinged with duty charges as packages cross the border, I'm looking for other options.  I'd rather not have to switch to another brand due to scarcity!

 

I live about 20 minutes from a game store that carries Reaper. If you like, I can check and see if they have the colors you are looking for. 

 

As for RAFM/Silverfox, I would avoid them like the plague. I placed an order for close to $200 in Reaper paint, and heard nothing from them for 2 months - repeated emails went unanswered. They finally responded after the threat of Ontario BBB action, and an investigation by my cc company.  To further this, they neglected to inform me of out of stock paint, but I was still charged for it.

I won't order from them again.

 

 

Reverend Shartan

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey!  I appreciate the offer, Reverend.  I did end up ordering directly from Reaper, though now it's a matter of trying to sort out where the box has gone.  Shipped from HQ on the 7th, bounced around the US for a week (Texas to Vancouver, better route it through Chicago!). It's now gone through customs, and my USPS tracking number no longer works, and the last update was on the 17th... so we'll see I guess!  Just hoping with the sudden turn in the weather that my paints don't get too badly damaged by the cold before they arrive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I placed 2 orders from Reaper around the beginning of the month. Both arrived yesterday here in Winnipeg. Paints were fine. Give it a few more days, it should arrive.

 

And the offer still stands.

 

 

Reverend Shartan

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Baugi said:

It's now gone through customs, and my USPS tracking number no longer works, and the last update was on the 17th... so we'll see I guess! 

Usually if you put the tracking number into CanadaPost's website you can get some sort of info, especially if it's reached the border. Tracking will typically update more often on CanadaPost's website once it reaches the border - they've been bad about sending updates to USPS the past six months. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry yeah, that's what I meant.  It's not on Canada Post, USPS, or any of the couriers I could think of.  I'm not super worried, I'm sure it'll show up, but that's a little discouraging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Baugi! I'm also in the Vancouver area. I haven't found Reaper paints. I think best bet is ordering direct from Reaper when you have enough items on the Want list to hit the free shipping mark. At least it isn't too likely to freeze here and ruin our paints.

 

Also check out the Vancouver Miniature Painters on FB. We also have a Discord channel and have been doing approximately quarterly group-paints of the same piece to compare. We order bulk stuff together to save on shipping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 5:44 PM, Baugi said:

Hey!  I appreciate the offer, Reverend.  I did end up ordering directly from Reaper, though now it's a matter of trying to sort out where the box has gone.  Shipped from HQ on the 7th, bounced around the US for a week (Texas to Vancouver, better route it through Chicago!). It's now gone through customs, and my USPS tracking number no longer works, and the last update was on the 17th... so we'll see I guess!  Just hoping with the sudden turn in the weather that my paints don't get too badly damaged by the cold before they arrive.

 

They have to be very cold (at least -5) and in that environment for a fair bit of time (6-12 hours) before crystals will form and damage them.  The binder/medium has a different freezing point than water.  I mean, I generally try not to take risks I don't have to, but it has come up that I've risked ordering in the unseasonable months and haven't had dead paint yet.  Mind you, I have the advantage of a maritime climate and not inland continental so my low extremes are generally not as extreme.  

 

Under normal circumstances tracking cuts off once processed through customs and will arrive the week following (usually by that Wednesday) - but Covid stuff essentially adds an extra week to that and maybe some change.  Based on that I would expect your package to arrive in your mail by the 30th.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

 

They have to be very cold (at least -5) and in that environment for a fair bit of time (6-12 hours) before crystals will form and damage them.  The binder/medium has a different freezing point than water.  I mean, I generally try not to take risks I don't have to, but it has come up that I've risked ordering in the unseasonable months and haven't had dead paint yet.  Mind you, I have the advantage of a maritime climate and not inland continental so my low extremes are generally not as extreme.  

 

Under normal circumstances tracking cuts off once processed through customs and will arrive the week following (usually by that Wednesday) - but Covid stuff essentially adds an extra week to that and maybe some change.  Based on that I would expect your package to arrive in your mail by the 30th.  

 

I appreciate the info!  It arrived last night, and all seems to be in good shape! Now to continue with my Ma'al Drakar...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...