How to Paint with Tremors: bracing, posture, methods and tools for shaky hands. Fundraiser for Parkinson's research.

Terrainosaur

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I paint with tremors as I have had an essential tremor all my life making writing terribly difficult but essential tremors are not "progressive" like parkinsons(meaning gets worse over time), as I understand it. It'll never get any better or worse, like my tinnitus, I just have to live with it. 

Biggest issue with tremors for me comes when I cannot mechanically brace(IE PLAYING ON A TABLE). when painting I sit in a tight little ball with 3-5 points of contact to brace myself.

On 1/22/2021 at 12:50 PM, The Steve said:

I paint with tremors as I have had an essential tremor all my life making writing terribly difficult but essential tremors are not "progressive" like parkinsons(meaning gets worse over time), as I understand it. It'll never get any better or worse, like my tinnitus, I just have to live with it. 

Biggest issue with tremors for me comes when I cannot mechanically brace(IE PLAYING ON A TABLE). when painting I sit in a tight little ball with 3-5 points of contact to brace myself.

Same here.

Thanks for sharing that.

I haven't watched the vid. at the beginning of this thread but am going to do that in a moment !

If it helps, I have shaky hands from medication. I sit with my right foot either on my seat or on my left knee and then press my wrist into my right knee (since I'm right handed).  I dont really move my hand at all, just bring the mini to the brush.  Both my wrists are usually pressed against my knee and I just move the brush with my fingers.  

• Like 1

Wow, that's very brilliant, thanks for sharing! Recently I was writing a nursing paper in the context of Parkinson's disease and had a lot of things to think about. I was helped with writing thanks to https://edubirdie.com/nursing-papers-for-sale and thus I learned a lot of facts about the disease and the lifestyle of people who live with it. In fact, I wondered how hard it is to try to do seemingly elementary things. I think that in general we paid very little attention to this and many different tutorials are not suitable for people of different needs! So it's very good that you shared such a video, I think it will be useful for many.

Edited by Deasywin