• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So....

Hasbro had their "PulseCon" over the weekend.  From what I've read: most of it dealt with upcoming action figures (Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Fortnight, Power Rangers, etc.), and about forty seconds (an exaggeration) regarding HeroQuest.  That's all buried within an hours-long video, of course.

So, the HQ stuff basically boils down to:

• Hasbro/Avalon Hill have been really bad at any sort of communication.
  • Shipping is "very soon."
  • Hasbro/Avalon Hill didn't expect a legacy game to do as well as it did.
  • The Frozen Horror is coming (this is not an official announcement, the box art was visible in the background of the presentation).

My thanks to the folks who sat through hours of presentations for the information.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, strawhat said:

So....

Hasbro had their "PulseCon" over the weekend.  From what I've read: most of it dealt with upcoming action figures (Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Fortnight, Power Rangers, etc.), and about forty seconds (an exaggeration) regarding HeroQuest.  That's all buried within an hours-long video, of course.

So, the HQ stuff basically boils down to:

• Hasbro/Avalon Hill have been really bad at any sort of communication.
  • Shipping is "very soon."
  • Hasbro/Avalon Hill didn't expect a legacy game to do as well as it did.
  • The Frozen Horror is coming (this is not an official announcement, the box art was visible in the background of the presentation).

My thanks to the folks who sat through hours of presentations for the information.

they mostly managed to convey 10 minutes worth of information over the course of 2 days

• Like 2

My stuff just arrived.

First impressions: very nice. The hero figures look really good, the monsters are a little all over the place with some having a little bit of soft detail, but they're still good. One nice thing is that they did male and female versions of the monsters. I don't know if Hasbro intends to retail this or not, and if they do, I don't know if the price would be prohibitive for some, but it would be a good source for female orcs and goblins. All of the cardboard and/or paper components look really good, and the cardboard stuff seems fairly sturdy. The plastic trays that hold the figures are nice, they hold everything securely, even after a few experimental shakes. If I decide to paint the figures, I'll need to find a different means of storage though. I can see paint getting rubbed off after repeatedly removing/replacing the figures. 

I sprung for the Mythic tier, so I got both of the expansions as well. 

Also included are alternate sculpts of the heroes in the opposite sex from what comes in the base set, so between the two, I have male and female versions of all four heroes. 

Overall, I'm really happy with it.

• Like 3

My mythic tier order should arrive tomorrow. I never played the game as a kid, but I think there’s a beat-up copy of the original at my in-laws’ farmhouse. The primary draw for me was the nostalgic love it gets on-line, and the fact I’ve got a three year old. I figured this would be a good thing to play with him in a few years.

Plus, mini’s. 😜

I think it came to 130 mini’s in total for the Mythic Tier?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

I think it came to 130 mini’s in total for the Mythic Tier?

Counting the doors and furniture, yes (or just North of that).  My list says 95 creatures (counting orcs, goblins, etc.), but skipping the skulls and rats.

I guess that we ended up getting the other Gargoyle, too!  The last unboxing vids I saw pointed that out.

• Like 1

And I got the Mythic Tier today!

Boy, that's a lot of stuff.

It was all packaged pretty well.  Outer box, inner box, then the individual boxes.  One thing I did figure out is that you can fit everything in the core box if you don't mind it sitting 3"-4" higher than it should.  The box is nice and deep, so it's not wibble-wobbling all over the place.

Take care when unwrapping the cards.  There's just paper bands around them, but the bands rubbed on the edges and there's some wear under where the wrapper went.  Not a huge deal to me as I plan to sleeve them.  In the core box, my wraps were just barely sticking to the cards.  After I got the first band off, I pulled the cards out of the center and then I separated the two gently working my fingers down under the band across the affected area of the card.  No damage to the cards, but I was a little concerned for a few moments.

Several of the minis are bent/warped to a noticeable degree.  I'm pretty sure that some time in some hot water would help them out, but it's worth being aware of it to begin with.  The dwarves' axes are a little bendy as well.  But things look pretty good other than those quibbles.  The cards look nice, the board looks good, the quest books are stitched together instead of stapled.

I am very happy to have it in hand, and I feel for the Heroic Tiers who are still waiting.

While I've been more than a little annoyed about the way Hasbro/Avalon Hill have basically ignored us since getting the funding and then launching Joke-A-Day toilet paper twitter "Zargon" which just felt like salt in the proverbial wound, I think I would seriously consider backing another project.

I guess we'll see how things go after this.  After Keller's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord we have five more sets:

• Adventure Design Kit
  • Against the Ogre Horde
  • Wizards of Morcar
  • Frozen Horror (already planned)
  • Mage of the Mirror
  • Like 2

Unknown.

I was just getting a list of the other HeroQuest releases for folks, like me, who came by a "little late" to the party.

I suspect that they will see regular retail releases instead of HasLab funding, but you never know.  I could see Hasbro/Avalon Hill being skittish and considering HeroQuest to be higher risk than they are comfortable with.  But it's all just speculation.

Which reminds me that I need to go through my old White Dwarfs and dig up the few issues with original HQ content...it's available online, but I'd still like to find them.

• Like 2