Sign in to follow this  
R2ED

It's a miner thing

Gnome that i felt came out pretty good.  

Areas for improvement:

Eyes

Edge highlights

Leather detail in coat and shoulder pauldron. 

Color. - belt seems off.  Hair didn't fit as well. 

20200923_212126.jpg

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Rigel said:

Really nice! You might consider trying a bit of OSL from his lantern, but I like him fine as is!

OSL? I can't say I'm familiar with that one.  I've only recently picked this hobby back up so I'm sorry to say many of the acronyms and such in still learning.  Do tell as I'm very interested in what this suggestion is. 

If there's ever a video you can link me on so i can see the method or technique,i love watching and trying to replicate.  

OSL: Object Source Lighting.
Highlight and shadow the figure in such a way that it looks as if the light came from a object (in this case the lantern).

There are a lot of videos about it (Vince Venturella , Doctor Faust Painting Clinic, James Wappel, Sorastro Painting, Kujo Painting).

Now my personal opinion, you did a good job. The eyes are really good for a beginner.
The area you should aim for improvement is contrast (shadows need to be darker and you can push highlights lighter).

Edited by DragonWyrm
  • Like 1

Ah!  I've seen some of that lighting work before.  Feels quite a bit beyond me for now. 

I totally agree with the highlight.  I have been trying to really work on that.  I messed up quite a few of them doing it, so i stepped back a bit to go a little more dry brush to find where highlight and edges are.  Edge highlight is a big one for new to work on too.  Practice, practice, practice!  Totally would love to nail OSL at and point.