3D Printing Patreons

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/19/2022 at 4:10 AM, Glitterwolf said:

I see Patreon like I see Kickstarter.

We pay a small amount to help the creator do his thing.

Profits are made in retail. At least that's the plan.

Some creators have higher retail prices ( like Heroes Infinite, that is really a huge difference) others are still very affordable and often throw in some freebies as well.

As for EPIC, I have a lot of their sets, and yes you get a lot for your money, on the other hand quality is another matter, they don't compare to ArchVillain Games or Artisan Guild when it comes to the quality of sculpts. AG uses modular parts so you can make more versions of the troops.

Prices are higher in retail yes. But you get a file you can print ( and sometimes alter/ use modular parts etc) to create a lot of minis.

We are willing to pay for physical minis, just the one for a price that's usually higher than an STL file will cost at retail.

We are happy with let's say the price per mini a Kickstarter like Bones gives us and we're equally happy to buy such minis later in retail at a higher price.

I think Patreon and the later retail prices are a bit comparable to that.

I won't buy every set, but I had my regrets with these AVG minis because I was pondering over them when the Patreon set was released. I already liked the ones I got now in a sale.

It just means to be aware of the price difference later and decide if it might be worth it to just go for the whole set that month.

As for the many sales on MMF, they will always come back, so no need to jump in, if you want something you can always wait for the next time it will be half price.

I have collected a lot of files, sometimes I wonder if I should just stop, since I won't be able to print/paint it all anyway, but on the other hand it's also fun to collect them.

And if you print just one big monster from a set you might already break even compared to physical minis or retail prices.

As long as I can afford it and have fun with it it's fine.

I can see a moment in the future where I might stop buying though, at a certain point the circle is complete and it will be just more of the same factions I already have legions of.

Have fun all, that's the main goal of this hobby!!

I do think that Heroes Infinite has too great an increase between Patreon and the minis.

But they also spent a decade slowly hemorrhaging money. They started 3D modeling masters early on, when it was quite spendy to do so.

They do not view their Patreon as a way to get STLs to market - they view it as a way to get physical miniatures to market.

There are danged few past bundles that I would spend HE prices for, but their Patreon value is excellent.

Artisan Guild, likewise, started as a physical miniatures company that was in the red. But their decision was to go whole hog on STLs - they don't make physical minis, any more.

I rather like EPIC - mostly because quantity, but also because that quantity results in minis that aren't available elsewhere. (Stirges... the 3D market needs more stirges.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like EPIC, having lots of their stuff indeed for the more rare types of minis, as for quality I really love Artisan Guild, ArchVillain Games and Lost Kingdom.

But there so many good ones out there, OnePageRules got me a lot of Egyptian and Lizardmen stuff for ridicilous prices ( 70% off for patreons), the Lord of the Print and MiniMonsterMayhem stuff is super although some models are really big and may need cutting.

I always hop from one to another, collecting is a part of the hobby for me.

Thing I like most about the 3D Patreons are the awesome poses and rare creatures that they come up with.

Stuff like the Pyramid Golem from AVG or the Fairy Dragon from EPIC, the Rakshasa from AG etc etc..

But I also still love the physical stuff from Reaper and old Grenadier/Ral Partha.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Heroes Infinite is doing Steampunk in June.

Lots of Victorian style minis and machinery.

Yes. Yes they are. I guess they really wanted me back next month :P.

image.thumb.png.5b2d08fa29f4c633b88352603125d855.png

image.thumb.png.d66caa6dc4d4b55ce4b9e441a589f19e.png

image.thumb.png.4e0af4b3f3ed18a0c3b979925bfdf221.png

image.thumb.png.01eda323a1c59334bd66a2665b336f17.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Illithar said:

That's hilarious because I told them to cancel my membership for next month.  The not 'Modenheim/Crused City' got me this month but zero interest in steampunk.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Illithar said:

We haven't run Airship Pirates in YEARS.

Running that with Grump was when I realized I was WINNING. :lol:

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Heroes Infinite is doing Steampunk in June.

Lots of Victorian style minis and machinery.

I don't really care much for most of the minis, but I would like to add the centerpiece to my collection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auberon said:

I don't really care much for most of the minis, but I would like to add the centerpiece to my collection.

Given the price difference between patreon and retail you should join then. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 12:45 AM, haldir said:

Update on the AG's Epic Loyalty Slot:

Epic Slot Update

Early on in this journey, I launched the Epic Bosses rewards in order to make big monsters such as dragons, powerful demons and overlords: I love big baddies and epic monsters!
Things have evolved a lot from that point we have much larger releases and we often have epic bosses like figures each month 🙂

For example, the Turtledragon Leviathan, Thane Hulgrof, King Skutagaard, the Vampiric Barbajiaan or Ornithaax the Majestic (and many more) were planned to be Epic Bosses one day, but they fit so well in certain month that I had to make them!

The Lich Lord or Thane Hulgrof were such complex sculpts that it would have been impossible for me as lone sculptor to make them AND an epic boss during the same month.
Loyalty rewards are good from a perspective, but they also draw many days of work (even weeks!) out of the monthly releases. And I don't want to have compromise on releases that coincide with epic bosses.

For this reason I want to temporary suspend the Epic Bosses Loyalty Reward and provide  the best Epic Boss-like figure I can each month, such the Lich Lord and many more.

I really thought about it a lot before making this hard decision, and for now it's the best thing I can do to keep bringing top quality models. I'll always prefer quality over quantity 🙂
I owe you guys really a lot, and I'm sure you'll understand that for my mental health I need to slow down a bit and focus on each monthly release.
Thank you so much for your comprehension! 

I've kinda been hanging on to my Patreon spot due to to the Epic reward (as I really don't recall what months are used to get the loyalty award, etc etc, so I've just kept it going. I think I may just switch over to Tribes for AG. Either drop AG before the end of the month & then re-up early in June, as I don't want to get charged for this month's stuff again.

They are doing one last Epic Season Boss, a great linnorm.

• Like 2