• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can do less with the sculpted pupils if you're trying for a fancy paintjob, since being recessed they're going to make colour and reflection placement a real bear.  However, if you're doing say a

OH. OH HAHA. I do not recommend googling MMF at work if you can't remember what it stands for in a website abbreviation and forgot that hobbies other than miniatures exist!!!

Ooh ooh! My husband has been supporting some of these patreons for a couple months now, so we can participate in this thread!   I've been loving a lot of the White Werewolf Tavern stuff. A

Posted Images

On 12/22/2020 at 4:28 PM, PaganMegan said:

I like sculpted pupils, it gives a direction for the focus of the character.

Plus, my minis end up walleyed without that.

We need to call in @buglips*the*goblin

and get his opinion.

I prefer blank eyes - but I have had a lot of practice painting eyes. (Prefered method - turn the mini so that the eyes are at the angle I want to paint them. so, if the eyes are looking 20 degrees to the left, turn the mini 20 degrees to the right.)

@buglips*the*goblin How do you like them as goblins? They seem to have a certain old school charm. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Forum Mascot
2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I prefer blank eyes - but I have had a lot of practice painting eyes. (Prefered method - turn the mini so that the eyes are at the angle I want to paint them. so, if the eyes are looking 20 degrees to the left, turn the mini 20 degrees to the right.)

@buglips*the*goblin How do you like them as goblins? They seem to have a certain old school charm. ::):

The Auld Grump

They're very characterful.  I like them, though I do find them a touch roundheaded.  Given unlimited free choice and options, I'll usually go for longer-faced goblins like the Reaper Ben Siens ones:  https://www.reapermini.com/search/figurefinder+goblin/latest/02481 or, of course, the sculpt Gene did of me.  But those goblins are nice enough and expressive enough that I could easily forgive their more rounded features.  The goblin king on the throne (whether a real king or just wearing the trappings) and the one with the serrated knife are my particular favourites.  

• Like 4
On 12/24/2020 at 3:38 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Heroes Infinite upcoming release and a fun creature that will also be in the pack but is not in the video.

https://youtu.be/bGqtxln6YxQ

image.png.c26cf74f16c4ab378a74169107b921c1.pngimage.png.0dd93cba54583fb37d35cf514ae7b5b3.png

At first I was thinking it was a strangely happy fiendish shark, then I saw the cowbell!

That smile? Really is a smile!

For MY game, that beast is going to be both STUPID and FRIENDLY!

23 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

image.png.71df760b3596a42f2030109350442642.png

Come winds, blow wrack!

At least I'll die with armour on my back!

(My Drama teacher in high school was Mr. MacBeth - he took that play seriously.)

The Auld Grump

Why am I smelling ham? ::P:

• Haha 3

image.png.a601857e607e73cfb449a9374d444772.png

I saw Glitterwolf complaining about the high heels on her - but those are remarkably close to actual French riding boots - that deep arch making for a better stand in the stirrups. (I don't know if the sculptor knew this - he may have just been thinking she would look good in pumps. <_< )

_65445024_p06-0013-adetail1.jpg

These are a man's cavalry shoes.

*EDIT* Though, to be honest, just looking at them makes my feet hurt. ::P: (I am a terrible rider - I counterpost. Going down as the horse comes up.)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3
12 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I saw Glitterwolf complaining about the high heels on her - but those are remarkably close to actual French riding boots - that deep arch making for a better stand in the stirrups. (I don't know if the sculptor knew this - he may have just been thinking she would look good in pumps. <_< )

These are a man's cavalry shoes.

*EDIT* Though, to be honest, just looking at them makes my feet hurt. ::P: (I am a terrible rider - I counterpost. Going down as the horse comes up.)

The Auld Grump

I also commented that I'm aware of that.

Thing is, she's not cavalry, if she had been I could have been thinking about it that way.

Sculptor just want high heels so she is as tall as a male knight.

I think they are useless in a fight for a foot knight.

But anyway, over 80 minis and just one little thing that I don't care for.

Not a biggie.

I do love the evil Queen and the Tiger and Lionmen.

And who knows, I might print that lady anyway, maybe next to a horse, dismounted and in a disadvantage then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I also commented that I'm aware of that.

Thing is, she's not cavalry, if she had been I could have been thinking about it that way.

Sculptor just want high heels so she is as tall as a male knight.

I think they are useless in a fight for a foot knight.

But anyway, over 80 minis and just one little thing that I don't care for.

Not a biggie.

I do love the evil Queen and the Tiger and Lionmen.

And who knows, I might print that lady anyway, maybe next to a horse, dismounted and in a disadvantage then...

(Mumble, mumble, chivalry, mumble, horse, mumble.)

I would love to see a mounted version - when I first started gaming, Minifigs and then Ral Partha had a lot of mounted/unmounted figures packaged together. Entire parties used to spend a good deal of time to-ing and fro-ing on horseback. One of the reasons I like The Borderland Provinces by Frog God - it is all about the journey. (For that matter - the D&D compatible Middle Earth game has awesome rules for to-ing and fro-ing. ::): )

I already asked about the possibility of a mounted version, in part because of those boots. There are nowhere near enough mounted female knights. Those shoes may be an accident, but they work for a mounted knight, even if she has temporarily misplaced her destrier.

She's a knight - the primary purpose of a knight is cavalry. From her viewpoint, fighting on foot would be at a disadvantage. (Again, matching her footwear to it's proper place.) I would just assume that her horse is elsewhere, at the moment. (Or, with the direction 3.5 took paladins, the horse is nowhere, at the moment. Gods above and below, I hated that.)  Sooner, rather than later, she will be back in the saddle. (I am assuming 5e Disadvantage, depending on the field, it seems fair - make getting her off the horse part of the encounter.)

For much of the armored period, there were relatively few foot knights - if you had the money for armor, you had the money for a horse. (And, in England, if you had money for armor and a horse, then you had to either be a knight, or pay to have one in the King's service - scutage.) A man in armor, on foot, is less effective than a man in armor, on horse. (Exception - the Swiss - none of them wore armor until all of them could wear armor - and, yes, they had a lot of foot knights. Damned mercenaries. Then other people started copying them, because those damned mercenaries were hard bastards.)

Even after the invention of the gun, the monied classes came up with some of the daftest ways to excuse having monied idiots on horses in the field. The caracole always makes me want to punch someone.

The Auld Grump - awake, and typing while too tired... I am going to blame the tea.

• Like 3