Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Man, just when I thought RN Estudio wasn't going to offer anything cool in October, they go and do this:( (yah, my wife loves He-Man, so I lost the roll on this one).

1953895468_OctoberReleaseredo.thumb.jpg.12b71fbe42c280abc6b83bef220fd6bf.jpg

Yeah... probably going to be re-subbing for that. Curious that they called it 'Those Woderful 80's', the poll had referenced He-Man. Makes me want to see what they might do with the theme in the future.

 

Also, a teaser from Lord of the Print, the Elder Brine Dragon:

image.thumb.png.a648336975b9e0f0a7306bb5ecfc1669.png

 

Release list:

- Drake Brine - Mounted and unmounted

- Young Brine Dragon

- Adult Brine Dragon

- Elder Brine Dragon

- Drake Crystal -  Mounted and unmounted

- Young Crystal Dragon

- Adult Crystal Dragon

- Elder Crystal Dragon

- Basilisk Mounted

- Basilisk 

- Evil Angel 

- Evil Guard

 

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, a bunch more creators have a 'Tribe' on MMF now. Titan/Cyber Forge, Archvillain, Cast N Play, Mini Monster Mayhem, Lord of the Print, Bestiarum Miniatures, Dragon Trappers, Printed Obsession, Daybreak Miniatures, and more. They all appear to have their patreons still up and active (I can at least verify the ones I am currently subscribed to) and none that I know of have mentioned shutting down the patreon. So it looks like these will be running in tandem for the time being. With the exception of one level under Titan/Cyberforge that gets you both sci-fi and fantasy at a reduced rate, I don't see any real incentive to switch at this time. Honestly, I'd probably grab that combo from Titanforge, if I hadn't gotten an early-bird Cyberforge pledge way back.

 

EDIT: A few more thoughts: the only 'big' patreon not on there now is Artisan Guild, which I find sort of interesting. Also, from what I have been hearing it's actually more expensive to be in on the 'Tribes' thing than Patreon (no numbers, just hearsay) but MMF does actually promote things so it may be worth it? Other than that I am not sure what the advantage might be, maybe preferential treatment to the creators uploads? Also, not a one of the creators have said anything that I have noticed, not a peep on their patreon page or on their Discords.

Edited by Illithar
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We may switch - more to do with simplifying the transfer of files to MMF, since Patreon and MMF together have messed things up more than once. (At times the Patreon computer does not talk to the MMF computer, so we have to contact a person at MMF to get the files.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it's very odd to me that none of those creators are talking about it.  I wonder about the cost, because the old model, Patreon would keep a cut, and then was there a charge to then deliver the files on MMF too? Maybe going from two companies taking their pound of flesh down to one is preferable?   It's entirely possible this is a trial run for the companies dipping their toes in, but they're not talking much about it because they're not sure if they want to promote it yet?  Contrast Raging Heroes who has been making a strong effort to get everyone to switch.

 

 

Anyway, as a consumer I have a couple of things i'm seeing.

 

Pro - easy to find them.  Most of the 3d printing patreons I have on my follow list I've discovered either through here or other 3d printing discussion groups, some I found on STLStop, but that's a third party resource. Patreon doesn't have good creator discovery tools built in to it's platform.  MMF is trying to set themselves up to be THE place for stl files (particularly figurines/miniatures/statues/etc) and if I want to browse available STL patreons I can find them (hopefully) all in one place.

Also pro, since many of these creators already use it for fulfilment maybe it's less hassle. (I know I have the issue where my patreon is tied to one email and my MMF to another, from before the two were really being used together, and I accidentally redeemed a few monthly packs under a new account instead of my existing one, so now I have two MMF accounts.....)

So far I have one big con - I'm not finding it as easy when browsing to see what the current month's offerings.  Many of those only have the one banner with everything crammed in it, and I'm not finding an easy way to see the multiple single figure images a lot of them post, that part of this feels a little less easy to figure out.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

So far I have one big con - I'm not finding it as easy when browsing to see what the current month's offerings.  Many of those only have the one banner with everything crammed in it, and I'm not finding an easy way to see the multiple single figure images a lot of them post, that part of this feels a little less easy to figure out.

 I agree with this. Though Patreon is no better. I don't know how many times I have tried to find the images of upcoming releases, only to be directed to the payment screen after I clicked on the "read more" link.

If Patreon has one flaw (and I know there are a lot more than one).....it's that dumb idea of forcing people to pay to view images of upcoming releases.

 

Reverend Shartan

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Reverend Shartan said:

If Patreon has one flaw (and I know there are a lot more than one).....it's that dumb idea of forcing people to pay to view images of upcoming releases.

A lot of this is on the content creator. They can make those photo gallery posts public posts and put the download link in a patrons only post.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cygnwulf said:

A lot of this is on the content creator. They can make those photo gallery posts public posts and put the download link in a patrons only post.

This.  I have seen creators who are pretty good about this, and others who are crap.   

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

Yeah, it's very odd to me that none of those creators are talking about it.  I wonder about the cost, because the old model, Patreon would keep a cut, and then was there a charge to then deliver the files on MMF too? Maybe going from two companies taking their pound of flesh down to one is preferable?   It's entirely possible this is a trial run for the companies dipping their toes in, but they're not talking much about it because they're not sure if they want to promote it yet?  Contrast Raging Heroes who has been making a strong effort to get everyone to switch.

 

 

Anyway, as a consumer I have a couple of things i'm seeing.

 

Pro - easy to find them.  Most of the 3d printing patreons I have on my follow list I've discovered either through here or other 3d printing discussion groups, some I found on STLStop, but that's a third party resource. Patreon doesn't have good creator discovery tools built in to it's platform.  MMF is trying to set themselves up to be THE place for stl files (particularly figurines/miniatures/statues/etc) and if I want to browse available STL patreons I can find them (hopefully) all in one place.

Also pro, since many of these creators already use it for fulfilment maybe it's less hassle. (I know I have the issue where my patreon is tied to one email and my MMF to another, from before the two were really being used together, and I accidentally redeemed a few monthly packs under a new account instead of my existing one, so now I have two MMF accounts.....)

So far I have one big con - I'm not finding it as easy when browsing to see what the current month's offerings.  Many of those only have the one banner with everything crammed in it, and I'm not finding an easy way to see the multiple single figure images a lot of them post, that part of this feels a little less easy to figure out.

Mini Monster Mayhem has made a few posts to their Discord now, in regards to MMF Tribes. One, it is indeed less of a hassle and it is much easier to ensure that files get delivered properly. They have also said that there are still issues in the background with MMF that make them not want to switch completely yet, but once the site gets more streamlined that may happen. 

 

A big con they mention though is that it feels like much less of a community than Patreon does. It feels more like a 'one and done' purchase. The engagement isn't really there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That bow looks like it will turn back into its component parts at the first opportunity.

 

Not like roll a one and it breaks, more like roll ten or under and it breaks.

 

That big guy in the center is the only one I want.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

A lot of this is on the content creator. They can make those photo gallery posts public posts and put the download link in a patrons only post.

 

I've read that before, but I'm guessing it's an easy thing to change for potential backers.....

 

That is one thing that will dissuade me from supporting a patreon.

 

 

Reverend Shartan

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

That bow looks like it will turn back into its component parts at the first opportunity.

 

Not like roll a one and it breaks, more like roll ten or under and it breaks.

 

That big guy in the center is the only one I want.

I like the owl wizard as well.

 

The werewolf bowman - with a completely different bow - would also be excellent, and unexpected. Werewolves are generally close quarters fighters, not ranged combatants.

 

That big centerpiece guy might be a good fit for either your Herd or Forces of Nature armies.

 

We might need to look at how much Titan Forge charges for a single large model - if it is $10 then we might as well get the bundle.

 

We also should check about the loyalty rewards, and if the Patreon numbers carry over.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

That bow looks like it will turn back into its component parts at the first opportunity.

 

Not like roll a one and it breaks, more like roll ten or under and it breaks.

 

That big guy in the center is the only one I want.

 

Yeah, I don't understand that bow.  There's no reason that creatures that can display the kind of metal craftsmanship those swords would take would be using a bows lashed together out of tree branches.....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Artisan Guild is running a charity event, starting Monday (maybe) next week:

 

1.jpg?token-time=1633824000&token-hash=b

Hello friends,
a really quick update, we didn't even had the time to plan it.

After echoing the devastation caused by the eruption of the volcano here in the island La Palma (Canary islands), we want to do our part to help all those families who are losing absolutely everything.

That's why we decided to make a charity sculpt related to the situation: Hefesto, a Fire Giant new Boss model has been made in various version (bust and Boss figure).
A Fire Giant was the first thing we tought, perhaps it doesn't even make lots of sense, but we had to be quick.

100% of the MyMiniFactory Campaign profits will be used entirely to alleviate the people who lost their home and jobs.

I'm sorry if we hadn't the chance to make a cool trailer, but things here are evolving quickly and there's no time. Our studio is in perfect condition on the other side of the mountain, so apart from some ashes there should be no risk. But the lava half destroyed the small town of Todoque and all the houses it come across, counting 5000+ people with no home.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

The campaign will launch next week (possibly monday) on MyMiniFactory.
Stay tuned for the next update.

Stay safe and happy printing!

The Artisan Guild team

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2021 at 8:33 PM, Illithar said:

Mini Monster Mayhem has made a few posts to their Discord now, in regards to MMF Tribes. One, it is indeed less of a hassle and it is much easier to ensure that files get delivered properly. They have also said that there are still issues in the background with MMF that make them not want to switch completely yet, but once the site gets more streamlined that may happen. 

 

A big con they mention though is that it feels like much less of a community than Patreon does. It feels more like a 'one and done' purchase. The engagement isn't really there.


printyourmonsters is now preparing their new (second, they were in the first wave with their "plants and rocks"-tribe) tribe, and sending out messages to their existing patrons actively promoting moving over to tribes when it goes up, enticing with cheaper monthly rates, early birds deals etc. In their series of messages (slighly jumping the gun I would say, since the new tribes is not active yet) it certainly seems that they as creators want to get rid of extra hassle with the patreon delivery and keep it all at MMF where stuff according to them is more streamlined and easier for them to deal with as creators. They used the words "when you can leave patreon and go on Tribe :)".

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...